2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (Abdol, AJB, BMKE, Calikokat, Animisha, B3boy, Catlady, 16 invisible), 696 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
R
Yep, well laid out options. They make the call. You can even ask if they want to keep the compensator or not.

You to customer:
"New whippens with installation, etc. will cost $XXXX, while rebuilding yours and keeping this rather unusual feature would run $XXXX. You may not be able to tell the difference, but it is likely that the piano's touch could be a little faster and lighter without the compensator system, while costing you less."

Of course, adjustable stickers and the tinker-toy labor of them ain't cheap either. If you discard the compensator, you have to go with not only new whippens, but new stickers/abstracts, arms and flanges, too! I haven't priced them lately, but the last time I did check I was SHOCKED! Then, of course, the flanges probably won't fit the same as the originals on the whippen rail or on the sticker arm rail (auxiliary flanges). Plus you may need to make a new sticker arm rail for spacing to the capstan line, or redrill capstan holes in the keys.

Be $ure to think carefully about whether to ju$t keep the compen$ator $et-up.

Last edited by RestorerPhil; 03/13/12 10:30 PM.

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Tuning, Concert Maintenance,
Rebuilding & Restoration
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RestorerPhil
Be $ure to think carefully about whether to ju$t keep the compen$ator $et-up.

Did you notice the rust on the parts shocked
Thick corrosion on the back check wires, bridal tape wires, spoons, springs, flange pins. And then there are the felts cry
The whippen assembly has 7 center pins.

New parts are a must forget about the compensator.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

R
R
Oh, so you ARE going to do the job?

Last I checked you can still buy all those parts. In fact, I think I have a set of all of them on hand. Can I make you a deal on them?

BUT I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING. IT IS ALL PACKED UP WAITING FOR MY NEW SHOP TO GET DONE!

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Rebuilding & Restoration
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RestorerPhil

Last I checked you can still buy all those parts. In fact, I think I have a set of all of them on hand. Can I make you a deal on them?

If your parts are older they are probably the old Pratt parts. They were less than desirable.
The Tokiwa parts from Japan are what are available today and the quality is so much better.

I hope WNG comes up with something in the future for uprights.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Fire up the air compressor and blow it out. Everything will be fine.

Might want to wipe it down with ammonia while you have it apart.

Have fun. Your going to be busy for a while. Get a down payment so you can get that new coffee pot you've been wanting.

Don't forget to post the before and after pics...

Sometimes I have to ask, "You haven't tuned your piano in over 20 yrs; So you called me????".

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
R
R
Originally Posted by Dave B
Might want to wipe it down with ammonia while you have it apart.

All kidding aside, didn't Dave B really mean lighter fluid. The more I look back at those pictures, I think he meant lighter fluid. smirk

(Poof)

Lavender Piano Services
Established 1977
Rebuilding & Restoration
D
D
Mr Verhnjak,

You appear to be a respected piano technician in your area. But when I see a title of a thread that implies dealing with a customer who has not otherwise harmed you in any way as a hassle, I honestly would have second thoughts about using you as a technician.

I'm sure you realize that more than just technicians read this forum. Maybe I'm a little jaded or sensitive, but I believe this sort of thing just foments distrust between laypeople and piano "professionals".

P
P
Rod- WN&G were showing an upright model with parts made by them at NAMM. Your wishes will come true soon. Call Nina.

Lisa Weller, RPT
Huntington Beach, CA
www.wellerpianoservice.com
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by daifanshi
Mr Verhnjak,

You appear to be a respected piano technician in your area. But when I see a title of a thread that implies dealing with a customer who has not otherwise harmed you in any way as a hassle, I honestly would have second thoughts about using you as a technician.

I'm sure you realize that more than just technicians read this forum. Maybe I'm a little jaded or sensitive, but I believe this sort of thing just foments distrust between laypeople and piano "professionals".

I'm sorry I don't know what may be offensive or wrong with my post confused
My question is more about what other techs would do in the situation. Would they walk away or take it on.
Nothing against the clients in any way. It's about the piano and meeting our clients desires to the best of our abilities.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
It's refreshing to see how the pervading sentiment toward old uprights within the industry has changed in the last few years. I've always seen them more as works of art worthy of saving if at all possible.

Rod, I think Del said it best.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Mr Verhnjak,

I don't see it that way at all. I see it as a professional who has enough concern about doing the right thing that he goes to his peers for advice. It's not as if a piano technician is omniscient.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...when I see a title of a thread that implies dealing with a customer who has not otherwise harmed you in any way as a hassle, I honestly would have second thoughts about using you as a technician.
This is a completely subjective (and for me: strange) way to interpret the thread title (as well as a needless conclusion). Of course anyone is entitled to their own interpretation, but one only needs to read into the thread a ways to understand that this is missing the mark entirely. The client is not perceived as a hassle at all. The situation with the rebuild throws up more than one dilemma. This is what is being discussed.

JG
D
D
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
Mr Verhnjak,

I'm sorry I don't know what may be offensive or wrong with my post confused
My question is more about what other techs would do in the situation. Would they walk away or take it on.
Nothing against the clients in any way. It's about the piano and meeting our clients desires to the best of our abilities.

Like I said maybe I'm jaded or sensitive. But that's the impression "I" got. Which like everybody else's impression means absolutely nothing in the greater scheme of things.

But I personally would have given the thread a different title since most would say it is open to interpretation. Good luck in your work.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I agree with the thread not seeing the customer as a hassle, but I also think that the phrase "How would you deal with..." can have the connotation that a problem is going to come next. At least that's how I would use it.

For example, "How would you deal with a flood?" "How would you deal with your car breaking down?" I wouldn't say "How would you deal with winning the lottery?" unless I meant to emphasize the problems that might come with winning the lottery.

So when what comes next is "a client like this", the unintended impression can be given that the client is a problem.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
As a customer, I would rather hear a vendor tactfully decline my job rather than proceed with a project that is really a bad idea, or that is beyond their help.

Worse pianos than this one have been brought back, that is a fact. Who knows, the fact that you could buy ten--- maybe twenty--- better pianos for the price of the restoration is beside the question for the owner. Some people really do have more money than they know what to do with.

It's the guy who thinks he can do anything that you have to watch out for, more than the one who recognizes a healthy boundary. I can take "No," for an answer... but I don't ask for advice unless I think the person I'm asking knows.

Clef

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
...So when what comes next is "a client like this", the unintended impression can be given that the client is a problem.
...until you read the thread thumb

JG
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I agree with the thread not seeing the customer as a hassle, but I also think that the phrase "How would you deal with..." can have the connotation that a problem is going to come next. At least that's how I would use it.

Correct, the problem is with the piano. And the "problem" is how do you explain the issues to the client.

I guess if I could change the tittle I could have wrote How do you deal with a piano like this..... if the client wants it rebuilt?. But I know how to deal with the piano. I also know how to deal with the client. Just looking for some fun discussion and see how many would say I be ripping off the client or crazy to tackle the project.

Like I wrote the retail industry has destroyed the vintage piano market and I'm putting a feeler out there how it has effected the minds of my peers.

I'll be teaching this year at the 55th Annual Piano Technicians Guild Convention in Seattle. I'll be talking about some of these issues. I'll also be doing a class with Jude Reveley touching on some similar issues.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Supply
...So when what comes next is "a client like this", the unintended impression can be given that the client is a problem.
...until you read the thread thumb

Yes, indeed. But a thread title can give an impression that can colour the initial reading of a thread.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
It seems an innocent enough question to me and one not loaded with any unpleasant intent.

I'm not really qualified to speak about technical matters in THIS forum, but as a pianist and teacher, I've encountered the occasional personality that is quick to take offense and often in the most oblique and/or tangential way. And, it's no respecter of persons. Brahms’ letters are filled with constant imagined slights of one kind and another.

As for the character of the particular house to whom this work has fallen, circumstances have recently put me in the position of researching three highly respected concerns in the great Northwest, one in Oregon, another in Washington state and the last in British Columbia. I've been quite overwhelmed by the respect, admiration and one can even say affection that these artisans enjoy. Rod Verhnjak is certainly not the least of these. A family business such as his could not be sustained without sterling customer service and RESPECT for same.

D
D
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak

Correct, the problem is with the piano. And the "problem" is how do you explain the issues to the client.

I guess if I could change the tittle I could have wrote How do you deal with a piano like this..... if the client wants it rebuilt?. But I know how to deal with the piano. I also know how to deal with the client. Just looking for some fun discussion and see how many would say I be ripping off the client or crazy to tackle the project.

I "guess" you really should change the title or have it changed to reflect what you really meant (which I'm still not sure about.) And in the meantime you can explicitly mention in your original post that you are looking for opinions on whether you should rebuild it or not instead of steering the discussion towards the condition of the customer's piano and its history. But you've just stated you already know how to "deal with" the customer and piano. So what was the original post about again?

So that leaves the "fun" part. Is that the same as mocking? Or is that having "fun" at the customer's expense? Like having fun discussing how crappy the piano is that they consider to be an heirloom? smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which would you recommend and why - K8, K20 or U3?
by plumberpw - 08/17/22 08:00 AM
C2X Silent (SH2)?
by Jadam - 08/17/22 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Bill Evans!
by Dfrankjazz - 08/16/22 10:52 PM
F. Weber action removal
by DH83 - 08/16/22 11:33 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,431
Posts3,216,947
Members106,103
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission