2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (AndrewJCW, Carey, 36251, ChickenBrother, BMKE, Brendan, 13 invisible), 608 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos
Originally Posted by Rod Verhnjak
My comment was in regards to the poster attacking me on my thread title.

The commenter formed an opinion. There might be more that would agree or disagree with that opinion. This does not make one a victim of attack.

This.

Rod, I intended no attack by my comment.

My apologies I was thinking of the member Daifanshi not you.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
D
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos
My comment was in regards to the poster attacking me on my thread title.

The commenter formed an opinion. There might be more that would agree or disagree with that opinion. This does not make one a victim of attack.

This.

Rod, I intended no attack by my comment.

My apologies I was thinking of the member Daifanshi not you.

Rod, I was just the first to mention that the title and original post could be interpreted as indicating you had an issue with the customer. Others here have suggested that too. If you wish to place the blame on me for somehow being some sort of rabble-rousing instigator for posting how I felt, then you are welcome.

Since I'm being called various things like "troll" by a few blind apologists here, I'd like to add the following:

Not disclosing that you've been working on this piano for several weeks if not several months didn't exactly help either. I mean this is an actual customer, not a possible client as we were lead to believe. Since the follow up posts were a discussion of how to actually approach the problem of repairing the piano, the fact that you kept everybody in the dark is a bit odd. Don't you think?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I liked this thread, except for the sniping, of course. Yes, the repair was mostly a done deal, so what? That makes it all the more real and concrete - we don't have to wait four months for photos of the result. And it is not the hypothetical type of thread that often takes off like a straw fire only to yield very little in substance.

daifanshi - speaking of full disclosure, it is very easy to snipe from the safe darkness of anonymity. Anyone can do that, but they cannot expect to be taken seriously. How about posting your full name and credentials to put this discussion on a bit more of an equal footing? Actually, instead of hijacking this thread further, you could start a new thread about how to accurately title a thread. If not, then maybe just go on back to lurking....

JG
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Supply

daifanshi - speaking of full disclosure, it is very easy to snipe from the safe darkness of anonymity. Anyone can do that, but they cannot expect to be taken seriously. How about posting your full name and credentials to put this discussion on a bit more of an equal footing? Actually, instead of hijacking this thread further, you could start a new thread about how to accurately title a thread. If not, then maybe just go on back to lurking....

It is very easy to snipe period. Seem to be doing a pretty good job here anyways.

D
D
Originally Posted by Supply

Nice try. But I'm not a piano professional nor have I ever been. But I do have a interest in pianos since I enjoy playing. However playing a piano isn't even a prerequisite for posting here. Nor is having a critical mind. And I am not required to post my name or number for your own personal curiosity's sake.

As to who has more credibility? As a regular customer who often needs piano services it's clear that I see things a whole lot differently than some in the "trade". Am I less credible than you because I'm just a customer? Maybe you're a bad technician who posts here a lot and that makes you more "serious". Or maybe you're above average. How am I to know? Or should I even care?

Since the requirements for membership here require full disclosure if you are a "Piano Professional" equal footing already doesn't exist and that's the way the owner chose to operate the board. If somebody decides to risk their business or reputation by posting *here* on a *public* forum then that's their business. They would be naive if they believe they'll never be criticized or challenged anonymously. That's the implicit cost of free advertising.

However my business is none of yours. And that's just the way it works here.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I most certainly did not feel "tricked" by this thread.

Instead I found it simply wonderful.

At first we were assuming that this was a new predicament, and because we got all caught up with the decision of whether or not the project was even going to be started, to see the sudden rebuilding process happen almost immediately it was quite dramatic since we had already got caught up in the initial decision.

An amazing job Rod (both with the piano and the way you brought us all along on this thread).
Thanks for a quite different and entertaining read!

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff
I most certainly did not feel "tricked" by this thread.

Instead I found it simply wonderful.

At first we were assuming that this was a new predicament, and because we got all caught up with the decision of whether or not the project was even going to be started, to see the sudden rebuilding process happen almost immediately it was quite dramatic since we had already got caught up in the initial decision.

An amazing job Rod (both with the piano and the way you brought us all along on this thread).
Thanks for a quite different and entertaining read!

+1

Rod, as usual, you do beautiful work. It's art, IMNSHO. I love seeing the product of your handiwork. Thanks!

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Wow .. You work fast ....

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I feel I must say AMEN to Jurgen's response.

The intensity and dark/bitter quality of your comments is utterly and totally inappropriate and ungentlemanly.

Did it never once occur to you to commend Rod for his beautiful work and consider what it will mean to the family who commissioned it ?

Restoring tall uprights has become a rather controversial and debatable matter these days. Few shops will even consider it.

It doesn't cost one much personally to just say BRAVO brother - job well done. My goodness, why invest so much of yourself in this dark, dark rant ?

With reference to the esteemed Jerry's observation of "trolling" - he wasn't implying that you ARE a troll, simply that you were engaging in a dubious pursuit better suited to fishing.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
thumb ha

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I really don't have so much of a problem with posters arguing or belaboring a point IF they have a track record of being constructive participants on this particular forum. There are some here who can at times post things which appear to be negative, or cynical or critical (some of them I know really well laugh ), but if they come up with decent contributions to the ongoing discussions here, I find it much easier to take. After all, this forum depends on good contributions such as theirs.

On the other hand, if someone is a non-technician who merely lurks here or cruises past every once in a while and offers little or nothing of substance to the technical topics discussed, they shouldn't expect to be able to muck around with a sharp stick without being questioned. Because if negativity and unhelpful criticism is all a person has to contribute to the Piano Tech Forum here, maybe they should simply keep it to themselves... or spread the "joy" somewhere else.

JG
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
And again I say, AMEN.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Del

...that calls you up to evaluate their piano for restoration?

I arrive, the piano at first glance looks O.K. I open it up and find myself shocked. Corrosion like I have never seen. Strings replaced poorly and I just close it up. The first words out of my mouth are don't rebuild this.

What do you mean, "How do you deal with a client like this...?" You rebuild the piano. You fix all the damage and you give them back a piano worthy of its history.

In the mean time you post a couple more pictures of that sticker arrangement.

ddf

[Linked Image]

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I suppose "How would you have dealt with a dilemma like this?" may have bean a more accurate title but to be honest I think knowing that the piano had already been rebuilt would have skewed everyone's initial reaction to the actual condition of the piano before hand. Even with the before pictures knowing the job had been done successfully would have put the thought in the back of our minds that it couldn't have been that bad...

I don't think "a client like this" has any negative connotations. It merely places the client within a group of those who have something in common, in this case clients with an extreme sentimental attachment to their old pianos.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
R
WOW, nice job! Thanks for posting the pics.

It's pretty hard to place a $$figure on sentimental value. I bet the folks are very happy.

It's so easy to look at the "after" pictures and then the "before." Much harder to "see" what it could be like ahead of time. A talent I wish I had, and admire in others.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Rod, thanks for posting the photos. I can't tell you how excited I get when I see a photo series of the piano rebuilding process...especially the older uprights. I'm anxiously awaiting photos of the case, too.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
. I'm anxiously awaiting photos of the case, too.

If you're on Facebook you can join my piano page. I will be posting a full album of this process and video. You will also see other pianos as they are completed.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Del

...that calls you up to evaluate their piano for restoration?

I arrive, the piano at first glance looks O.K. I open it up and find myself shocked. Corrosion like I have never seen. Strings replaced poorly and I just close it up. The first words out of my mouth are don't rebuild this.

What do you mean, "How do you deal with a client like this...?" You rebuild the piano. You fix all the damage and you give them back a piano worthy of its history.

In the mean time you post a couple more pictures of that sticker arrangement.

ddf

[Linked Image]

Dumb question here, and I may have missed the explanation earlier: Is that sticker configuration for an honest-to-God sostenuto pedal?

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
No, that is a sticker with lost motion compensation for the soft pedal. Sostenuto pedals modify the damper lever.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OperaTenor

Dumb question here, and I may have missed the explanation earlier: Is that sticker configuration for an honest-to-God sostenuto pedal?

Not a dumb question at all.

It is a lost motion compensator system.
When you press the soft pedal it lifts the whippen so you don't get lost motion in the keys.

You don't see them often and this one was quite different from others I have seen.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Two, Three and Four Hamburg Steinways in Concert
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/11/22 10:32 PM
Dissonant overtones when mute rail is engaged
by MattH22 - 08/11/22 08:36 PM
Your piano teacher
by Dscally - 08/11/22 07:25 PM
To RD-2000 owners
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/11/22 07:18 PM
Buying a Yamaha U1?
by ada d. - 08/11/22 05:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,350
Posts3,215,596
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission