2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 134 of 136 1 2 132 133 134 135 136
J
J
Beginner in Singapore just bought a 42yo yamaha U1 from Jesley Piano yesterday. As an after-effect after paying $3k for it, she can't stop thinking about the age of her first piano!

Mr Lim said during those times (1970) Yamaha will keep their piano for 5 years first before selling - true?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My German piano is about 20+ years old and I've always loved it for its warm tone but it's been going a bit wonky of late(it's got this loud creaky sound whenever I hit a certain note) and I'm not sure if I should be refurbishing the insides(the soundboard?) or just consider getting a grand piano.

Not likely, just give it plain good service.

By description your piano appears to suffer from the all-to-common 'under-service' syndrome.

Not that rare in your neck of the woods...

Norbert smile

A
A
Hi Singapore Pianoworld regulars,

I have a situation that I'm wondering if the local Singaporeans here can shed some light on.

I am from Australia on vacation in Singapore, and am interested in buying a new Yamaha N1 Avantgrand. I went into the Plaza Singapura Yamaha dealer last week and was treated very kindly, and allowed to sample a lot of pianos including the Avantgrands for a long time. I noted that there was a sale on, which made it attractive to consider buying a piano locally and exporting it back to my home.

However, today (2nd of Jan), I go back to the store and the guy says that the "sale" has ended as of 31st of Dec (2 days ago, with New Year's being yesterday), and they can no longer sell it at that price. The best price they can offer is about $1500 MORE than the old sale price... ("Retail" = SGD$13.4k Sale = SGD$9.9k, now they want SGD$11.4k)

My question: is this really normal? Are sticker prices in Singapore carved in stone with no negotiation, and sale prices really limited to strict times? I already checked with the guy last week, and there were 3 available in the warehouse, so it's not like they have to order new ones in specially. I've always viewed "sales" as gimmicks anyway, and if you can make money at a price that was advertised, why would you refuse to sell at that price a mere 2 days later? Morever, from a search on google, this piano was offered for an even lower price earlier in March 2012 at SGD$9.6k and offered in August 2012 SGD$9.9k, so it's not like this "sale" price is very unusual.

I also tried to shop around but all of the Yamaha stores seem to be under the same "ownership" and will not compete against each other. Are there any independent stores I should be looking at who could get the piano for me at a competitive price?

Thanks for any insights.

F
F
Hello Guys,

Anyone can recommend a good piano tuner in north area?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I believe that Yamaha itself owns the store in Plaza Singapura. Those cut-off dates for their 'sales' are pretty much cast in stone. The sale periods are always the same every year, so buyers wanting to save money always hold off their purchases until sale time.

A
A
Originally Posted by Digitus
I believe that Yamaha itself owns the store in Plaza Singapura. Those cut-off dates for their 'sales' are pretty much cast in stone. The sale periods are always the same every year, so buyers wanting to save money always hold off their purchases until sale time.

Thanks for the info Digitus. Strange that they prefer to sell more pianos only at certain times of the year. In any case, the manager did come back to me in the end with a much closer price. However in the meantime I've tried out some baby grands and am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get an acoustic... crazy Decisions, decisions... cursing

S
S
Hello! I'm selling my Samick JS-115 piano which is still under its 8 years warranty. Kindly email silvermavis@gmail.com if interested! Thank you:)

My apologies if it is not the right thread to post in!

Last edited by silvermavis; 01/17/13 10:56 AM.
A
A
I noticed that this thread has been left cold for quite some time so hopefully someone will take notice of this new post. I am seeking inputs from Hailun piano owners especially from those who has been playing the piano for several years. Any conern on the quality? Is H122 or H125 better? Recond pianos in Malaysia are mostly above 20 years old. Interested in a U3 but a recond U3 price is close to RM10K (20-30 years old), almost the same price as a new Hailun. Resale to me is not important as I plan to keep the piano for a long time therefore I am hoping to get one that will last the kids till gr8. Budget is between RM6k to 10K. Thanks.

A
A
Hello! I've been scouring this thread and forum and have read good reviews about Sauter pianos from Raffles piano... Am scouting around for a piano for when I move to my new house next year, and am trying to contact Alvin but have not been able to for the past week. Just wondering if anyone here might know if he's overseas or when I should call so I can catch him? Thank you:)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just tried to call him. Didn't pick up. He travels quite a bit, so I have sent him an SMS. I will PM you if I get a response.

A
A
Hi Digitus,

Thanks very much. Really appreciate it:)

good day to all

Both my daughter (6) & I are learning the piano using Yamaha's P95. Am thinking of buying an upright due to space constraints. What would u recommend? Should I consider silent type models too? How will the overall sound & performance turn out as compared to non-silent types?

Thank u v much in adv. smile

A
A
Hi JanJan,

I've heard from various sources that a silent upright is not worth its price, as one would be better off buying both a good upright and a good digital piano for practicing late at night. Am not well-versed with the differences in sound and performance--perhaps someone here might be able to help:)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My view is, if you want a fantastic sounding piano with a silent function, you would have to:

1)select a piano of your choice, 1st hand or 2nd hand.
2)install a silent system , example Genio pro-S, cost about $1400 with installation.

I have done it before, touch/tone definitely better than my present CLP-120.

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by amber76
I noticed that this thread has been left cold for quite some time so hopefully someone will take notice of this new post. I am seeking inputs from Hailun piano owners especially from those who has been playing the piano for several years. Any conern on the quality? Is H122 or H125 better? Recond pianos in Malaysia are mostly above 20 years old. Interested in a U3 but a recond U3 price is close to RM10K (20-30 years old), almost the same price as a new Hailun. Resale to me is not important as I plan to keep the piano for a long time therefore I am hoping to get one that will last the kids till gr8. Budget is between RM6k to 10K. Thanks.

Which part of Malaysia are you at? If JB, I could recommend you a 2nd hand piano dealer laugh

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
P
P
Hello, is there anyone here who has had a Hailun upright piano (H-5P or HL-125) for more than four years?

All reviews seem to universally agree that the pianos are value for money, but that the only uncertainty is how long they will last and whether their quality will rapidly deteriorate with regular use.

So, since these models have been around for a few years now, I would like to know the experience of people who have had this brand of piano for about 4 years. Has the sound lost its lustre? Have keys turned sticky? Is the piano all out of tune? Any other major problems?

Or have the pianos managed to stay in good shape?
Thank you.

Jay Offline
they will last just as long as other pianos. it wont break apart after 10 years or so....

all pianos deteriote over time; due to wears, aging and humidity. maintain the correct relative humidity (RH) 42-65% you will have no problem plus many years of joy...

and, piano goes out of tune anyways, whether it is being played or not... and, piano wears over time and requires servicing and replacements... it something normal... the more you play, logically, the more it needs to be service... and at point, the parts need to be replaced....

P
P
Thank you, Jay.
Any suggestions on how to maintain the humidity levels in a country like Singapore, which is closer to the equator and typically more humid than places in Europe?
I plan to place the piano in a well-lit, airy room -- away from air vents or windows. The air conditioning will NOT be on 24 hours.
My piano comes with a heater that I plan to leave on 24 hours. And I plan to place a dehumidifier inside the piano that will be replaced regularly. Will that do?

P
P
Adding this post to the Singapore Adult Beginner thread because it is particularly relevant to the region:

The U.S. website for Hailun gives specifications such as Germany's Wurzen hammers, German Roslau strings, Agraffes for the HU-5P model, which has received excellent reviews:
http://www.hailun-pianos.com/administrator/components/com_pianos/uploads/13/pdf/hu5p.pdf

In Asia, the equivalent model is the H-5P, but is it EXACTLY the same as the HU-5P sold in the US? (The Asia website doesn't even list the H-5P model. I can only see a H-5 model for which no detailed specifications are provided -- http://www.hailunasia.com/ )

I was prompted to ask the question because Larry Fine's Piano Buyer says:
(Note: Model designations on the cast-iron plates of some Hailun pianos may differ from those in Hailun marketing materials and in this publication because the models may have different names in the Chinese and U.S. markets. In each such case, the scale designs are the same, but, according to Hailun, the U.S. models contain the higher-quality parts and materials advertised in U.S. marketing materials and on the Hailun America web page.)
http://www.pianobuyer.com/spring13/174.html

Doesn't that mean ONLY the U.S. models contain the "higher-quality parts and materials", while the models sold in Asia are stuck with presumably lower-quality parts?

Jay Offline
generally speaking, a relative humidity of between 42-65% is ideal for piano. I'll suggest you get a hygrometer and work from there. Air con is the best, but costly. Good ventilation in house will be good too. So get a hygrometer and check the reading. Diff homes varies in diff RH..... just like my cameras I keep them in a controlled dried box at 40% @ 365days.

as far as I know H33P (Asia label) = HU 7 (America label). CF130 (Asia) = HU 8 (America). these two models were confirmed by Malaysia agent when I was shopping for my cousin. therefore, I believe H5 = HU5. And, HU = Hailun Upright, maybe.

Yes, Hailun offers two diff types of upright series. Maybe it is referring to HU 5 versus HU 125, both similar height but diff materials and design.

suggest is to goto the shop and ask them to remove the panels and show you the inside of the HU 125 and H5. i have seen it for myself and yes, there is big diff in materials used. also, Hailun got a Chinese catalogue which highlights the materials in the H series and HU.

Last edited by Jay; 09/05/13 05:12 AM.
Page 134 of 136 1 2 132 133 134 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission