2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (brennbaer, aliaksej, clothearednincompo, AJB, aguia77, Burkhard, CharlesXX, bxrdad1, Animisha, 10 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hello everyone.

It's been a little over a month since I have received my Steingraeber 138. I absolutely LOVE it. I just wondered if there is any rule of thumb for the distance from the wall my upright should be placed for optimal sound?

Thanks in advance for any info.given.

Feurich 172(Hand built in Gunzenhausen Germany)
Yamaha CGP 1000
1920 Cunningham player piano
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Depending on other factors in the room, the acoustic ideal is likely between 5" - 12" from the wall. It's probably good to experiment.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's been a little over a month since I have received my Steingraeber 138. I absolutely LOVE it. I just wondered if there is any rule of thumb for the distance from the wall my upright should be placed for optimal sound?

No.

But must be at least 3" off ground for full "floating soundboard" effect...

On second thought: take off front board and get effect of 9' concert grand...

Enjoy!

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 03/18/14 10:44 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Depending on other factors in the room, the acoustic ideal is likely between 5" - 12" from the wall. It's probably good to experiment.
Do many people actually place a vertical 12" from a wall?

It would seem to be aesthetically strange looking(I'm assuming the back of the piano is facing the wall). OTOH I must admit I've never actually seen a vertical placed this way, so I'm using my imagination about how it would look.

Can anyone post a picture of a vertical in a home setting that is that far from the wall?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Do many people actually place a vertical 12" from a wall?
Many? Of course not. If you want the best sound, you have to pull it out more than what is aesthetically pleasing. With any luck, the "magic" range will be closer to 6" than 12".

In truth, I ask most customers to allow us to place them 4" from the wall. In 95% of customers' homes, the piano is as close to the wall as the baseboard will allow.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Pianos have caster wheels. One could wheel the piano 4"-12" away from the wall when one wishes to play it, and then push it back up against the wall when finished.

If the pianist is not strong enough to move the piano by him/herself, someone else in the household or neighborhood could help.

Last edited by Almaviva; 03/18/14 08:21 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
My theory is to have enough room to wrap your arms about its tantalizing shape and allow enough room for enraptured dancing.

Tanzen über alles.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I used to keep mine far enough from the wall so that when the cats lost a toy behind it they could just go get it out, instead of meowling around until I fished it out with a yardstick. The obvious acoustic advantage was quieter cats.

Learner
G
G
Given the right room configurations, you can give the sound more places to go and still be aesthetically pleasing. My previous house had a relatively small living room with a vaulted ceiling. In one corner the wall met a staircase. I positioned the piano across the corner and put two pictures on each wall behind the piano. It looked pretty good and it sounded good.

In my current home, the upright is actually well into an open floor plan that involves the living room and dining room. The dining room is several steps above the living room and the piano is a foot or so from the dining rooms half wall. The sound can go up a high ceiling, into the living room, into the dining room, and through a couple of doors.

What is most interesting is that in both configurations I've found that I can adjust the piano's location by inches in any direction and alter the sound a little. So experimenting with the postion is good wherever you have the piano.

P
OP Offline
P
Hello everyone and thanks for your replys! I originally had My Steingraeber 4 in. from the wall and it sounded marvelous.Tonight I did an experiment and placed it 5in. and then 6 in. from the wall to see if it would sound even better. I have wood floors and it seemed as though it sounded better at the 4 in. distance. I think in my home the wall helped to reflect the sound back into the room. My room is 24ft. by 35 ft.,and it feels this large room with plenty of sound. The colors and dynamic range of this big Boy are incredible!

Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
My theory is to have enough room to wrap your arms about its tantalizing shape and allow enough room for enraptured dancing.

Tanzen über alles.

Ich glaube, Sie tanzten und fiel auf den Kopf! LOL!!!!!

Originally Posted by Norbert

No.

Enjoy!

Norbert grin
Originally Posted by Norbert

No.

Enjoy!

Norbert grin

Very clever Norbert. LOL!

Yamaha CGP 1000
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I believe that model is called Steingraeber 138 because, ideally, it is to be placed 138 millimeters from the wall.

JG
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I would advise the OP to experiment not only with the distance, but also the angle of the piano to the wall. I've placed my Ibach upright such that the treble end is about 100 mm (4") from the wall, but the bass end is about 150 mm (6") away. This has made the bass and tenor section clearer to hear. If one's sense of aesthetics is not overly offended by such a slightly skewed arrangement, one can achieve great acoustic results by trial and error.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
I experimented with my Schiedmayer 140 last night. As Jurgen thought, 140 mm (5.5") gave good results! The piano is normally about 100 mm from the wall, but pulling the bass end out to around 200 mm made a really discernible difference to the bass and tenor, as Mark described, and the next octave as well.

Mind you, my piano is in a very small room and yours is in a rather large one. Have you tried taking off one or both the front panels?

Last edited by Withindale; 03/19/14 10:50 AM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Piano man 3758,

Congratulations on your new Steingraeber 138. I've heard very nice things about it, but that is one big piano! I was wondering if, during your piano search, you auditioned the Bluthner Model S, which is even bigger - 146 cm high, a full 3 inches taller! If so, what did you think of it?

Last edited by Almaviva; 03/19/14 11:13 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Piano man 3758,

Congratulations on your new Steingraeber 138. I've heard very nice things about it, but that is one big piano! I was wondering if, during your piano search, you auditioned the Bluthner Model S, which is even bigger - 146 cm high, a full 3 inches taller! If so, what did you think of it?

Thanks Almaviva for the congrats.Yes,it is a fantastic piano and indeed very big. My dealer that I have dealt with for 22 years,did not have a Bluthner Model S.However IMHO,I am not a big fan of Bluthners. Don't get me wrong. They are very fine pianos. I just fine that to my ears,the Steingraebers sound better.

Yamaha CGP 1000
M
M
Pianos have caster wheels. One could wheel the piano 4"-12" away from the wall when one wishes to play it, and then push it back up against the wall when finished.

If the pianist is not strong enough to move the piano by him/herself, someone else in the household or neighborhood could help.

Not ideal if on caster cups! The caster cups are a must if the piano is resting on wood flooring. Without the caster cups the wheels will damage/make indentation markings on the floor, and more so if wheeling it around.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by monads

Not ideal if on caster cups! The caster cups are a must if the piano is resting on wood flooring. Without the caster cups the wheels will damage/make indentation markings on the floor, and more so if wheeling it around.

Agreed as I have caster cups and wood flooring.

Yamaha CGP 1000

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Damper noise
by TimM_980 - 06/29/22 12:03 AM
Czerny availablility in large print?
by geopianoincanada - 06/28/22 11:53 PM
Wound bass strings all the way to C4
by TimM_980 - 06/28/22 11:44 PM
Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances?
by Gord Webster - 06/28/22 11:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,720
Posts3,204,070
Members105,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission