2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If by "chills" you mean "goosebumps", and if your search is not restricted to piano pieces, then I can think of two pieces right now where the endings give me goosebumps sometimes.

F.Schubert - Symphony b minor "unfinished", first movement
L.v.Beethoven - Violin concerto D major op.61, third movement

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

... the ending of the first movement of Mahler's 2nd...

With respect to non-piano works, the overwhelming finale to Mahler's 2nd gets my vote also.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
E
E
Schubert:

the andante of the op. 100 trio;

"Der Erlkonig": "das kind war tot"

Crumb:

"Todas las tardes se muere un nino en Granada" from Ancient Voices of Children

E
E
the end of the Kreisleriana

M
M
Rachmaninoff's B minor Prelude.

It's a different sort of chill, but the last part of The Art of Fugue gets to me as well.

Beethoven - Piano Sonata, op. 101
Bartok - Piano Sonata
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by hreichgott
My head is in Tombeau de Couperin at the moment, so I'm biased, but I think the end of the Prelude is very bone chilling.

I always imagined the end of the prelude to just be a sort of "peaceful restlessness", where the rustling tremolo just fades into a solid chord.

I've loved the whole suite because it seems to be very joyous, in that French "I'm happy but not really" sort of professional, descriptive manner. The only "sad" parts for me are the sort of regretful-sounding sections in the minuet.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm defining bone-chilling as terrifying and intesnse.

- Scarbo, of course
- End of Ginastera 1st Sonata, 1st movement (one of the most intense passages of music I've ever heard)
- Kapustin: End of 4th movement of 1st sonata.
- End of 4th Ballade
- End of Appasionata 4th movement.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
My head is in Tombeau de Couperin at the moment, so I'm biased, but I think the end of the Prelude is very bone chilling.

I always imagined the end of the prelude to just be a sort of "peaceful restlessness", where the rustling tremolo just fades into a solid chord.

I've loved the whole suite because it seems to be very joyous, in that French "I'm happy but not really" sort of professional, descriptive manner. The only "sad" parts for me are the sort of regretful-sounding sections in the minuet.

Well, Tombeau is a war piece, in memoriam of friends killed in war, so that has to be taken into account. But it's ambiguous and there are definitely ways to play it with more joyful or more tragic shadings. For me the Prelude is like the wind over deserted trenches, while trying to call up a memory of a time back when everything was good.

I was recently at a memorial service for an extremely happy Irish-American man, which was more party than memorial service, except there were a few very poignant moments. That's now what I think about for the Rigaudon.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K

Well, Tombeau is a war piece, in memoriam of friends killed in war, so that has to be taken into account. But it's ambiguous and there are definitely ways to play it with more joyful or more tragic shadings. For me the Prelude is like the wind over deserted trenches, while trying to call up a memory of a time back when everything was good.

I was recently at a memorial service for an extremely happy Irish-American man, which was more party than memorial service, except there were a few very poignant moments. That's now what I think about for the Rigaudon.

Your point is true, though I think the lightheartedness was probably done on purpose - in any case our interpretations will differ! Here is a snippet from the wikipedia page regarding the composition:

Despite the devastation Ravel felt both after the death of his mother in 1917 and of his friends in the First World War, Le tombeau de Couperin retains a light-hearted flavour. When criticised for composing a light-hearted, and sometimes reflective work rather than a sombre one, for such a sombre topic, Ravel replied: "The dead are sad enough, in their eternal silence."

Which movement is your favourite??

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A bit less of a piece than the monsters mentioned here, but I can't not mention the final trill to Chopin's Mazurka in A minor, post...especially the way Soklov plays is. It's like an icy wind, literally freezing one to death. It begins here at 3:44:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMIVqLzpVJ4

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think the lightheartedness was probably done on purpose - in any case our interpretations will differ!

Of course! I'd say "the ambiguity was done on purpose" but maybe we are not so different.
Which movement is your favourite??

I've spent the most time with the Prelude, Forlane and Rigaudon... so, I guess I'd answer the Prelude, Forlane and Rigaudon! They are all so good.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
L
L
The first piano piece that came to my mind was Brahms Ballade in D minor, Op 10/1.

It's an interesting question, depending on what "bone-chilling" means. I don't think that classical music is very good at doing scary. But it can certainly do cold, and sometimes the coldness has something disturbing or uncanny about it.

F
F
Does it have to be only endings? I can't think of anything more bone chilling than the second movement of Ligeti's piano concerto. If you give it one listen you'll notice which part I'm refering to...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission