2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (An Old Square, 36251, Bellicapelli, bobrunyan, Abdol, b4xter, BravoRomeo, 24 invisible), 701 guests, and 440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hello,

My questions is directed at individuals who have organized or hosted a piano meetup group through the official Meetup site.

I live in the Ottawa area and I have been considering organizing a Meetup group for adult amateur pianists. I have been looking around the web, and there seems to be legal implications regarding hosting a meetup. My question is: do you get involved with having members and their guests sign liability waivers for piano meetups? It seems silly to me as I cannot imagine what the risks could be.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Dennis

Yamaha G2 5'8" grand piano, Walnut finish.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I am not a meetup organizer, but do attend, lead some other kinds of groups. If you are meeting at public venue, some kind of insurance rider can be a good idea, just in case someone has an accident and wants to sue. If in a private home, probably not necessary. Canadians tend to be less litigious than Americans, so I would place legal concerns way down the list.

The attendees don't sign any kind of waiver. It would tend to be a major turn off for a social piano group.

Higher on the list of priorities, are getting a venue, finding interested people of like mind and a similar level of ability. Then there are paying the modest Meetup fees, refreshments, structure of the meetings, are all things that need to be taken care of.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
I have recently attended an initial planning meeting for what you are describing, Dennis. There was no issue with the first meeting as it was light in attendance and we met in a Tavern. The first order of business is to come up with a suitable venue (my idea grin) with which I will be assisting.

Not sure about us being any less litigious, Sand Tiger. Typically things are far more bureaucratic here in Canada than anything I have experienced in the US of A. Everything is complicated it seems. One thing I know is that if we rent space from the Anglican Church of Canada we will also need to purchase liability insurance for the group. Plus the hall rental of course. Not sure about other churches but I expect they will all have similar requirements.

No one is keen on a fee of any sort and for now (at least until we get the venue up and running) a personal residence is not very practical or desired. We have 22 (and growing) initial folks registered.

Your liability waiver idea sounds like a relatively easy and good solution, if you can also find a suitable venue that allows just this. Thanks for that. I'll take credit for this agenda item at our next meeting.

Our search for a venue continues, but looking more and more like there may be some expense involved.

Best of luck to you.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Working while pregnant
by Elsbels - 12/07/21 07:41 AM
Improve sound of Casiotone CT-S1
by Charline - 12/07/21 07:28 AM
Which pedals are compatible with Yamaha P-515?
by Olie222 - 12/07/21 05:32 AM
Constant instrument hopping: the recorder
by meghdad - 12/07/21 04:39 AM
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,425
Posts3,151,145
Members103,545
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission