2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Originally Posted by ando

So you agree it's a vacuous puff piece with little redeeming value? wink

Informing the very people in this market that they have choices is of "little redeeming value"?

What an odd characterization!

You really think people buying 9ft grands are informed by the Washington Post?

It's hard to write 750 words for a general audience, say something of value, and go into depth.
Exactly - which is why it didn't go into depth and said little of value.

The most I could say about such an article is that it's a conversation starter for a forum like this one where people will go into much more depth.

What a lovely polemical use of selective quotation!

I was responding -- in context -- to the quotation you responded to above, which you have seen fit to snip. Here it is again:

"I think there's an audience for this type of article. My guess is it's directed towards wealthy people who buy a Steinway for decoration or wealthy parents who can afford a $100K grand for their kid, but don't know any better so rely solely on brand."

For the people so mentioned -- not to mention others who are earnest about getting a good piano but don't know better -- this is a useful article. It may even get them going online and finding things like the Piano Buyer. In what world is that a bad thing?

You're free to hold whatever opinions you like, but it seems clear to me that (a) this article does have value for some prospective buyers, as aforesaid; and (b) it goes into as much depth as one can reasonably expect of a newspaper article, where column inches or at a premium.

Anyone who has ever had to write for a living would understand the latter point better than you seem to do.
Agree completely. The article simply pointed out that there are other great pianos besides Steinway. It was not only about buying 9' grands. Nor was it geared for the type of person who regularly reads the Piano Forum. Nor was it directed towards wealthy people only. I think it was an excellent article.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

So you agree it's a vacuous puff piece with little redeeming value? wink

Informing the very people in this market that they have choices is of "little redeeming value"?

What an odd characterization!

You really think people buying 9ft grands are informed by the Washington Post?

It's hard to write 750 words for a general audience, say something of value, and go into depth.
Exactly - which is why it didn't go into depth and said little of value.

The most I could say about such an article is that it's a conversation starter for a forum like this one where people will go into much more depth.

What a lovely polemical use of selective quotation!

I was responding -- in context -- to the quotation you responded to above, which you have seen fit to snip. Here it is again:

"I think there's an audience for this type of article. My guess is it's directed towards wealthy people who buy a Steinway for decoration or wealthy parents who can afford a $100K grand for their kid, but don't know any better so rely solely on brand."

For the people so mentioned -- not to mention others who are earnest about getting a good piano but don't know better -- this is a useful article. It may even get them going online and finding things like the Piano Buyer. In what world is that a bad thing?

You're free to hold whatever opinions you like, but it seems clear to me that (a) this article does have value for some prospective buyers, as aforesaid; and (b) it goes into as much depth as one can reasonably expect of a newspaper article, where column inches or at a premium.

Anyone who has ever had to write for a living would understand the latter point better than you seem to do.

Washington Post fan, eh?

You seem to simultaneously hold two viewpoints - that newspaper articles are necessarily hamstrung by the pressures on the medium, which slashes the content. At the same time, you point out the utility of such articles. Those are competing forces. And if you are a writer, you ought to know better than to praise articles which have had the life strangled out of them by the economic rationalism to which you obliquely refer. Personally, I find your ideology is all over the shop - particularly when you imply that you are a writer of some sort.

When you talk about how useful this article is to prospective buyers, you ignore the fact that it focuses entirely on concert grands. Prospective buyers of 9ft grands are not the market for this article. And the landscape for smaller, cheaper pianos is not the same as for 9ft grands. The article misses a lot of salient information about piano buying. It's stylised, ticks certain boxes that I often see ticked in cultural arts columns for the masses. I found the whole thing to be a curious hodgepodge. That's why I see it as a puff piece.

As far as you finding it useful for some nebulous group of buyers: well, you are virtually saying that you personally don't find it useful because you are more informed - but for those poor uninformed bozos, it might assist them. Are you not making assumptions for other people there? I can tell you that people who are wealthy don't just throw $100K at a piano for their kid without doing some homework. This article isn't the article that saves people from themselves.

If you like the article, fine. I didn't.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A more enlightened, lazy view would be to simply buy something with "stein" in the name--Steinway, Grotrian-Steinweg, Steingraeber, or Bechstein would do. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
A more enlightened, lazy view would be to simply buy something with "stein" in the name--Steinway, Grotrian-Steinweg, Steingraeber, or Bechstein would do. 😀

That's what Albert Einstein would do. wink

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I though it covered a lot of ground in a short space offering some food for thought.

Online Content
You seem to simultaneously hold two viewpoints - that newspaper articles are necessarily hamstrung by the pressures on the medium, which slashes the content. At the same time, you point out the utility of such articles. Those are competing forces. And if you are a writer, you ought to know better than to praise articles which have had the life strangled out of them by the economic rationalism to which you obliquely refer. Personally, I find your ideology is all over the shop - particularly when you imply that you are a writer of some sort.
A brief article can't cover everything in depth but that wasn't its purpose. The article simply points out there are other great pianos than Steinway. There is no conflict of viewpoints.

When you talk about how useful this article is to prospective buyers, you ignore the fact that it focuses entirely on concert grands. Prospective buyers of 9ft grands are not the market for this article. And the landscape for smaller, cheaper pianos is not the same as for 9ft grands. The article misses a lot of salient information about piano buying. It's stylised, ticks certain boxes that I often see ticked in cultural arts columns for the masses. I found the whole thing to be a curious hodgepodge. That's why I see it as a puff piece.
Readers will assume, mostly correctly, that the quality of a maker's concert grands mirrors the quality of their shorter pianos.

As far as you finding it useful for some nebulous group of buyers: well, you are virtually saying that you personally don't find it useful because you are more informed - but for those poor uninformed bozos, it might assist them. Are you not making assumptions for other people there? I can tell you that people who are wealthy don't just throw $100K at a piano for their kid without doing some homework. This article isn't the article that saves people from themselves
The article is valuable for virtually any buyer except those like Piano Forum regulars. PW regulars are mostly familiar with other great pianos besides Steinway, but 98% of piano buyers only are familiar with a handful of makers. That doesn't make them "uninformed bozos" at all. It simply means that because of Steinway advertising and the fact that 99% of the population aren't as interested in pianos as PW regulars, they know less about pianos.

Both the content and the purpose of the article are fine.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/05/15 03:50 PM.
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
A brief article can't cover everything in depth but that wasn't its purpose. The article simply points out there are other great pianos than Steinway. There is no conflict of viewpoints.

Readers will assume, mostly correctly, that the quality of a maker's concert grands mirrors the quality of their shorter pianos.

As far as you finding it useful for some nebulous group of buyers: well, you are virtually saying that you personally don't find it useful because you are more informed - but for those poor uninformed bozos, it might assist them. Are you not making assumptions for other people there? I can tell you that people who are wealthy don't just throw $100K at a piano for their kid without doing some homework. This article isn't the article that saves people from themselves
The article is valuable for virtually any buyer except those like Piano Forum regulars. PW regulars are mostly familiar with other great pianos besides Steinway, but 98% of piano buyers only are familiar with a handful of makers. That doesn't make them "uninformed bozos" at all. It simply means that because of Steinway advertising and the fact that 99% of the population aren't as interested in pianos as PW regulars, they know less about pianos.

Both the content and the purpose of the article are fine.

I have to agree with PL. I've read a number of piano articles in newspapers and the such that were mostly fluff. This article clearly was written by someone who did research on the subject and wrote an article that provided some interesting and useful information to the piano buying public.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I love that our own Joey Calderazzo is quoted as well.
And I enjoyed his quote !!

“The problem is that each Steinway is so different,” says Joey Calderazzo, an acclaimed jazz pianist who recently became a Blüthner artist. “I have no idea what I’m getting.” He adds, “If you find a Steinway that’s a good one, it’s as good as any other piano out there. [But] one in 30 Steinways are good. And you have other piano brands that are actually kind of changing the game.”

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
S
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL

Steinway has an enviable position as a market leader, but it is the result of aggressive business tactics, brilliant marketing, numerous favorable opportunities in their history, all made stronger by a very poor supply of objective, accurate information for consumers. Steinway always tells a romantic story, and it changes with time.

When pianos are looked at objectively, they are a very viable choice for performance. However, a Steinway's actual build quality and performance do not give them an advantage over other premium makers in the way that their branding does.

Very well put!

[As was Rich Galassini's post.]

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

M
M

I'm trading up to a Beerstein.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL

Steinway has an enviable position as a market leader, but it is the result of aggressive business tactics, brilliant marketing, numerous favorable opportunities in their history, all made stronger by a very poor supply of objective, accurate information for consumers. Steinway always tells a romantic story, and it changes with time.

When pianos are looked at objectively, they are a very viable choice for performance. However, a Steinway's actual build quality and performance do not give them an advantage over other premium makers in the way that their branding does.

Very well put!

[As was Rich Galassini's post.]

+1

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

These two made my day! thumb ha

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
These two made my day! thumb ha

You forgot Steinlager... grin

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Good article, many noteworthy comments and observations!

Here's one of my own:

The specific type paint brush used didn't make Picasso and the type piano used doesn't make a great musician.

There's always too much talk about the tool and not enough about the art.

Just to put a little different perspective on things.

One that hopefully puts more emphasis on what you and me really enjoy about the subject - including "the beast"

Norbert wink

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Rich D.
This article clearly was written by someone who did research on the subject and wrote an article that provided some interesting and useful information to the piano buying public.

Rich

Greetings,

I did not get the impression that it was all that well researched and written. As is pretty frequent in the news media, the author seemed to pick a hypothesis, and selectively find data to support it. For example, Joey Calderazzo seems to be a pretty rare breed as a Blüthner-certified Blüthner artist. Is he an outlier or is there some special circumstances behind his opinion (like jazz club pianos suck in general)? Can't tell. No statistics behind it. Of the hundreds of Steinway artists, the author could have found a handful of them to get more statistics, and she might have even found one that had something positive to say about S&S pianos, but that wouldn't support the angle she had in mind.

Also, Mr Bennett winked/snickered on this. I quote him: "I think that statistics like "98% of soloists chose Steinway" is a marketing message packaged as a statistic, "according to figures collected by, not surprisingly, Steinway itself. wink "

That's exactly what the author intended-- to make the reader snicker. The author could have looked into the stats for herself to see if there was a problem, and report different stats if she found significantly different results, or if the data was flawed in some way. But instead, she just left it for the reader to read between her lines and she left the reader with the feeling of uncertainty and doubt.

Just two examples.

Best wishes-

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
J
J
Hey Phacke, I thought I would make a quick response. Interviews are funny things because we talked for almost an hour.Many things were said and honestly many of them good. I don't pretend to think I know much about pianos but i do know what I like and what feels good..Have always said that a piano will only be as good as its cared for. I find that pianos that are tuned and regulated on a regular basis are at least playable regardless of the brand..I guess my "beef" with Steinway is due to the horrible selection in NYC. I was there last Jan and was shocked at how bad the pianos were..I was also not thrilled with the cocky attitude of the women that was showing me the pianos.Her attitude was that all the pianos were different and that there was one for everyone.I played 8 B's and all were different,too different honestly..I did play some great pianos in the basement were the C&A pianos are kept..there were a few great ones..A few months later I was in Los Angeles and went to Beverly Hills Steinway..The pianos were GREAT!!!..It made me happy ..You must understand that the sound in my head from listening to records as a kid is STEINWAY..when a Steinway is right,its magic!! The women at Beverly Hills told me that when the pianos arrived,their tech worked on the pianos for DAYS!!!..
On the flip side,I was at a dealer when they took a Fazioli out of the crate.Put the legs on and it was amazing!!..or shall I say it was finished before it was crated..
My real thought is that a Steinway B is like 98k or something..FOr the pianos I played in NYC,I would never consider it for a second..I am thrilled that I am Blüthner Artist,as I am in love with all aspects of the piano.(especially the model 2).This is really a huge honor for me..A few years ago when I really started to play other piano brands(european) it was clear to me that I needed a different piano to achieve the sound that was in my head..I will be recording a bit this year with Bluthner model 1 and 2 and will post some clips here for you to hear..All the best,Joey

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Joey,

Thanks for joining us here. I am thrilled that you joined this thread.

Over the years you and I have had many conversations. I know you've performed on a variety of instruments over the years, some by choice, others because that was the piano that was there.

I also know that you have gone out of your way to audition a number of pianos, even traveling to do so.

Would you mind outlining your journey for us? What were the particular brands or piano houses that have impressed you?

First, I hope you see this and second, I hope you have time to respond.

Yours,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Joey:

Your experiences and thoughts echo my own, almost scarily so.

Excellent remarks by Rich, as usual.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

P

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for your comments, Mr. Calderazzo -

Originally Posted by Joey Calderazzo
Interviews are funny things because we talked for almost an hour.Many things were said and honestly many of them good.

That's more or less an element of my point, so thank you for confirming.

When you read a newspaper article and you experienced the article event first-hand, the impressions usually don't coincide well.

Originally Posted by Joey Calderazzo
I am thrilled that I am Blüthner Artist... it was clear to me that I needed a different piano to achieve the sound that was in my head

That's wonderful.

Best wishes-

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert

The specific type paint brush used didn't make Picasso and the type piano used doesn't make a great musician.

There's always too much talk about the tool and not enough about the art.

Thank you for saying what is always running through my mind when I read these sorts of debates. I understand the idea behind the talk about one piano allowing for expression that another piano doesn't. But it's the built-in elitism that is tiresome. Remember that experiment with blindfolded musicians and different violins?

I've recently been reading through some of Franz Mohr's autobiography (which if you were to edit out all the religiosity, would be about half it's size). And I can't help but come away from it with a certain amount of envy. Were that we could all have both our pick of piano and a friendly German perfectionist technician. If nothing else, some of this argument about which piano is good/better/best would be moot.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission