2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Doug M., CharlesXX, bxrdad1, Animisha, beeboss, aliaksej, clothearednincompo, 10 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano90X
Originally Posted by phacke
There were a few people seeming like they were pulling their hair out (figuratively) with problems with their Estonia.
It sounds like there were some consistent issues with Estonias. What were the problems? Have they since been addressed by the company?
I don't remember how many Estonia buyers had complaints but it was either one or two. That is an insignificant number. Hardly "consistent issues".

Originally Posted by Rickster

You can get a lemon in any brand. What sets a company/manufacturer apart from the others is how they handle that "lemon" on behalf of the buyer/customer. And, it also has a lot to do with the dealer.

Some pianos manufacturers/dealers will leave you hanging and stuck with a lemon; some will do the right thing, no matter how far they have to go (replace the piano with a new one/issue a full refund?).

My advice to a piano shopper would be to research the personality/reputation of the manufacturer and dealer as much as the piano itself.

And, I doubt if there are really any "perfect" pianos out there or "perfect" dealers.
Good points.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/10/16 10:31 AM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Friends:

IMHO, there has always seemed to be a good deal of this kind-of bias, esp. as it relates to S&S. Of course, for many of us, Steinway will always be the piano of choice, at least for concert purposes.
Some years back, when the Astoria product was suffering, significantly, and the great European houses (Bosendorfer, Bechstein, etc.) were producing instruments with a VERY distinctive tone & touch, differences were very obvious, and it was possible to plant one's foot in just one camp, for very specific reasons.
Nowadays, when most of the major piano makers are building instruments, especially concert grands, very, very little different from the S&S D, it sometimes takes a good deal of imagination and "confirmation bias" to hold-out for one make only.
In writing the above, I think it obvious that ALL the top builders are capable of making truly remarkable concert instruments and do so each year. It's the lack, or more truly, the LOSS of a truly distinctive face or personality, that seems to have become the norm in the present MARKETPLACE.

Just my very feeble opinion.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
There were a few people seeming like they were pulling their hair out (figuratively) with problems with their Estonia.
It sounds like there were some consistent issues with Estonias. What were the problems? Have they since been addressed by the company?
I don't remember how many Estonia buyers had complaints but it was either one or two. That is an insignificant number. Hardly "consistent issues".

I only remember one buyer who complained consistently.

Learner
Two things ...

First, about this:
I have never seen a comment from someone who spent a significant amount of money on a piano and who later regretted it.
Isn't that just sample bias?
Of all the regretful buyers, how many of them have ever come to PW?
Of those, how many have seen fit to post about the regret?
And, in general, are regretters as likely to post their regrets as satisfied owners are to express satisfaction?
Who knows?

Secondly, I'm not too happy with my piano. I'll be looking for a new one next week. So there's one regretter for you.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Secondly, I'm not too happy with my piano. I'll be looking for a new one next week. So there's one regretter for you.

Life's too short to be unhappy and dissatisfied with your piano. Go ahead and trade it in for another one or sell yours and get what you want. thumb

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

What kind of piano do you have? What do you dislike about it? What kind of other pianos are you considering?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

I only remember one buyer who complained consistently.

That wasn't the case. One person did complain and post a lot about the issues he was having with odd sounds on his Estonia, but it seemed like a lot of it was everyone was getting mad at him for pointing out a potential design issue and him defending himself. I'd have to go back and re-read. That member ultimately sold his Estonia at a loss

What I remember most was a lot of people got mad at him for saying less than stellar things about his Estonia, claiming they had never heard anything like that so it must have been a one off issue, but in reality there turned out to be several other members who also reported similar problems. In one case I think Estonia actually took a piano back. Back all the way to Estonia.
I suspect the company fixed whatever the issue was on later models, maybe by fixing a logitudinal mode or something, but it was amazing how everyone jumped on that member for criticizing his piano. I thought he was doing shoppers a favor.

Edit: I searched and found a couple of threads where people complained about odd sounds or ringing tones from their Estonia 190's, but not the one where the guy sold it and everyone got mad at him.

Last edited by Toddler2; 09/10/16 09:56 PM. Reason: search

Previously: M&H AA (2006)
Currently: Phoenix C212 (2016)
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
My very well-seasoned experience leads me to the conclusion that the overwhelming percentage of reviews and comments are confrontational bias.
Could you explain a little more what you mean by confrontational bias?

Yes. My auto-speller substituted "confrontational" for "confirmational"!!!!

Sorry!!!

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen

Yes. My auto-speller substituted "confrontational" for "confirmational"!!!!

Sorry!!!

It's okay. Just make sure that you spell things right next time you participate in one of my threads. wink

Yes, Sir!!

Piano Industry Consultant

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I still think confrontational bias is a real Internet phenomenon.

Gary
Reminds me of a debate I had with my science-y daughter. I had been taking these supplements, and felt great as a result. She was convinced it was a placebo effect. I countered with "well, if it's a placebo effect, it's the best darn placebo effect I've ever had, and I'll keep doing it!"

For me, it's the same with pianos. When I come across one I love, that's the one. That's true for different brands and wildly different price points. To be clear, I'm not going to pay attention to someone trying to convince me that I shouldn't like what I like. It's like someone trying to convince me I shouldn't have married my wife. Really.

There is no "best", just what makes you happy. Only a few piano purchases over the years haven't worked out, the rest were winners.

Confirmation bias or no confirmation bias, I'm happy.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Damper noise
by TimM_980 - 06/29/22 12:03 AM
Czerny availablility in large print?
by geopianoincanada - 06/28/22 11:53 PM
Wound bass strings all the way to C4
by TimM_980 - 06/28/22 11:44 PM
Alternatives to MainStage for Live Performances?
by Gord Webster - 06/28/22 11:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,720
Posts3,204,070
Members105,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission