2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (80k, AntonAnton, Bill McKaig,RPT, Auror, Acetach, BillS728, 36251, belcanto89, 13 invisible), 4,386 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Inspired by another thread on PW: should I tackle the hanon. It got me thinking....that led to wee chat with my teacher the other day..he has always tried to work in hanon as part of practice/learning..I guess, it is me who showed a lot less enthusiasm. So I am 3.5 years of lessons on this journey ...flirted with hanon, Jumped around a bit depending on what my current score required of me...never with much commitment.

This is how my teacher boiled it down for me: practice this whole book, thereafter you have strong foundation to tackle most pieces. There are some really tough exercises. But the hanon was built around so many classical pieces.

As it sank in, I am committing myself to take hanon seriously, and as of last night, I relearnt lessons 1 and 2. As my teacher said, give yourself a generous timeline to learn the first 10, next 10...then I thought a bit more, and this is now leading down a dangerous path...it is not just the techniques, I need my ass kicked to work on the scales/apeggios as well.

...then I wonder if I could commit to learning the hanon/scales/appegios in 12 months, expected speed within range of 80 to 100? Now this is dangerous thinking as I am inspired yet again, by Alan Rusbridger's book play it again".

Life is short, I wonder how I will view the piano scores in 12 months?

Last edited by Pianoperformance; 09/17/16 07:42 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I would put scales, arpeggios, and cadences as the first priority. Learn them all, then start over. Hanon 1-10, yes. Don't make either of these a 12 month goal; it's not a race. Make playing them well--smoothly and with ease--your goal.

The problem with making all of Hanon and scales and arps a 12 month goal is that (a) it will eat up a very large chunk of your practice time, which you shouldn't let it do, and (b) at the end of 12 months, you will think you're done with them, but you won't be. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks Stubbie, correctomando, I agree scales, appegios should be first..😑, the 12 months was just to go through them, I am great procrastinator...I am sure it will be more like 18+ months...I tend to be too tired to practice pieces when I get home from work..so things like scales, hanon may be perfect..thanks for the pointers 😊

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I think Hanon can be good if approached correctly. Focus more on quality and quantity here. You should also be working scales, chords and arpeggios into your daily routine. Again, quality over quantity. I think at first, you would maybe be spending 10 minutes a day on these combined, but as you go along, it could work up to 15-20.

Another piece of advice: don't put a goal for this kind of thing. That may make you rush through and play too fast too soon which can be damaging. The focus has to be on being able to play these repetitive exercises with proper technique: no fatigue, tension, or pain. If any of these things are in and you persist in playing at too fast a tempo than you can manage, then expect to experience injury.

Remember, it's not a race. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thank you morodienne, good advice, I don't want the pressure either ☺, I will be asking my teacher to be my moderator, before I can move on..and thanks for affirming the scales, appegios, chords, I have been 'avoiding' them 😨 like I had with the metronome, but since I started using the metronome for bach inventions, I am playing them so much better...appreciate your thoughts and experience. ..

M
M
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
Thank you morodienne, good advice, I don't want the pressure either ☺, I will be asking my teacher to be my moderator, before I can move on..and thanks for affirming the scales, appegios, chords, I have been 'avoiding' them 😨 like I had with the metronome, but since I started using the metronome for bach inventions, I am playing them so much better...appreciate your thoughts and experience. ..

And they are great things to do when you don't have the energy to work on repertoire. Mindless stuff for when your'e exhausted smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I don't believe that learning all Hanon will give you "you have strong foundation to tackle most pieces". You will at best have a bag of technique but what about your interpretation skills, ear training, reading skills, working with eal repertoier and having fun.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Morodiene
they are great things to do when you don't have the energy to work on repertoire. Mindless stuff for when your'e exhausted

If you don't have energy for working attentively, better don't work. It will probably do more damage than good.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks wouter79...for some reason, when I started learning to play, we noticed that I hesitated a lot, or didn't really play each note with consistent tone, as if I was too afraid to touch the keys! Few rounds of Hanson seem to correct a lot of that shyness...other technicalities I seem to master quicker...so to put that comment into context, the way I played each key was severely holding me back...these exercises seem to help me a lot...and I should continue. Based on this thread and the other one on pianist, I am working on my scales today, one Hanoi exercise, and repertoire tomorrow! Yeah.

B
B
Mindless finger exercises work - the same way that drills work for anything that's technical (tennis, ballet, gymnastics....).

I didn't use Hanon, but I did do many technical exercises to iron out weaknesses after I'd finished with the ABRSM exams, to get me to the next level to enable me to get my performance diploma.

Of course, if you're just playing the piano purely for fun, without regard for polish etc, there's not much point in all this.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
E
E
I think doing Hanon completely is overdoing it. It does get rather repetitive, doesn't it? Rather, take some of this and some of Brahms and some of Dohnanyi - at least, that's what I'd suggest.

O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by bennevis
Mindless finger exercises work - the same way that drills work for anything that's technical (tennis, ballet, gymnastics....).

They work for some people, but not others. They require the ability to keep going consistently on autopilot. If that ability is weak, one should only do mindful exercises. Practicing messing up is not very useful.

M
M
Originally Posted by outo
Originally Posted by bennevis

They work for some people, but not others. They require the ability to keep going consistently on autopilot. If that ability is weak, one should only do mindful exercises. Practicing messing up is not very useful.

This is why it's so important to go slowly. There's a certain aspect of playing piano that requires it to be mindless - or rather, be in the subconscious so we can focus on expression. But that is built in slowly over time.

Even these "mindless" activities can be mentally exhausting if you do it for too long.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks , very thoughtful comments. Very zen like, too, where every task is done with joy and focus! 😁

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Target note video
by 36251 - 07/02/22 09:30 AM
Best Arduino Courses
by Palak Sharma - 07/02/22 08:15 AM
Pianoteq Stage 7.5 for sale for €80
by meghdad - 07/02/22 03:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,780
Posts3,204,902
Members105,697
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission