2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (AndrewJCW, accordeur, Carey, 36251, BMKE, 5stringbanjo, 19 invisible), 974 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Larry and I were looking over the 2017 NAMM exhibitor list, and we're happy to see a larger contingent of new acoustic piano manufacturers listed as exhibitors this year, particularly some manufacturers on the high end that haven't been represented at the show in recent years:

A. Geyer
Bechstein
Bösendorfer
Beijing Hsinghai/Otto Meister
Fazioli
Grotrian
Pearl River/Ritmüller/Kayserburg
Hallet Davis
Baldwin
Hardman
Blüthner/Irmler/Rönisch
Kawai/Shigeru Kawai
Mason & Hamlin
Palatino
Perzina
Brodmann
Kingsburg
Story & Clark
Ravenscroft
Pramberger
Knabe
Seiler
Schimmel
Steingraeber
Hailun/Emerson/Cline
Petrof
Wilh. Steinberg
Yamaha/Yamaha CF
Young Chang/Weber

The show runs January 19th-22nd. I'm looking forward to a less subdued experience in "Lounge 88", unlike the last two years...and seeing a few screen names on the forum in person again!

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
P
P
Can the general public (i.e Piano enthusiast) attend? Or must one be a dealer or employed by the industry.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
As far as I know it's industry only, or you need to know someone in the industry to give you an unused entry pass. There was a year where Sunday was open to the public, but I'm not sure they've any plans to do that again.

P
P
Who's missing? I noticed no Steinway, Estonia, and Charles Walter.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Steinway hasn't been showing at NAMM for years, and they have their own event at a different time of year, though you do see some of their people around in Anaheim. Estonia stopped a couple years ago, though I believe Indrek Laul still attends without a booth (miss those comfy couches they brought to the show!). Walter showed pianos last year, with Charles Walter there himself, along with his wife and daughter. Walter Piano Transport is always there. Anyway, it's significantly better than prior years when it comes to the number of piano companies represented on the 2nd and 3rd floors. It even appears that Casio will have booth space on the 3rd floor, in the same room as so many of the acoustics...a nice change from their screamin' loud location on the ground floor of the convention center.

For the show veterans, it doesn't appear there's an exhibitor between the 2nd floor piano rooms yet, so I guess it's possible there's room for 1-2 more.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I think this will be #29 for me. I used to highly look foward to it every year. However the last few years it's been more of an ordeal then anything as the crowds, even on Thursday or Friday, are just overwhelming (to put it mildly) !

This makes it very difficult to hear/play any type of keyboard -- acoustic or electric. The ambient noise/din from the convention floor in the main showroom resembles sitting outside your car on the 405 freeway at peak rush hour…which is basically all the time. Actually the freeway might be more forgiving -- we have a lot of Priuses on the road here in LA. smile I now need earplugs just to walk around downstairs.

The upstairs main piano room used to be a safe haven from the electronic wars of downstairs but now, even that is getting to be unbearable. I recall playing a Bluthner larger grand, either last year or the previous, and to be honest, I couldn't distinguish the tonal difference between it and any cheap Asian piano.

The Yamaha smaller side room in the hallway of the Marriott is probably your best chance of hearing anything --- if you can catch it with a lull in the action - either early or late in the day.

Kawai usually has a separate room, which if you hit it at the right time, can be an oasis from the din.

I noticed Fazioli will be back after being absent last year. Pierre will most likely be in a tortured mode having to endure a marathon day of " who can play the Revolutionary Etude the fastest and loudest". I'm sure he's counting the days till 1/19... wink

Yeah, as you can probably tell, I can hardly wait... smirk

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I used to highly look foward to it every year. However the last few years it's been more of an ordeal then anything as the crowds, even on Thursday or Friday, are just overwhelming (to put it mildly) !

This makes it very difficult to hear/play any type of keyboard -- acoustic or electric.

NAMM has become somewhat irrelevant as a trade show for piano merchants. I can remember, in the 70's, when the Chicago show at McCormick place, attracted international piano companies and pianos were a significant portion of the displays. But even then, and today, judging a piano's sound at a show was/is, well smirk , a fool's errand.

In the 80's, the Messe in Frankfurt became the prominent piano show, and you were considered a "serious" piano dealer only if you attended that show. Each manufacturer had a magnificent display, including Hamburg Steinway, and most had kitchens where various forms of cuisine were the norm, served with Champagne and/or schnapps.

Now, even Frankfurt (which is down to every other year) has been supplanted by Shanghai - sans food. But, the quality of the products is significantly, um, different. Today, one shouldn't give too much credence to what you see, hear and play at a show - or you're likely to be VERY surprised when it hits your front door! cry

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old do you think this piano is? (from hammer felt wear)
by 88Key_PianoPlayer - 08/10/22 09:20 PM
what might exist (a keyboard view)?
by keystring - 08/10/22 05:49 PM
Petrof with pianodisc
by AndreaH - 08/10/22 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,335
Posts3,215,354
Members106,056
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission