2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Disclaimer: I have no relation to Tom, but I thought this forum should know.

I was browsing my Youtube piano subscriptions, I noticed Tom Brier's friend Ron O'dell posted a video describing an accident Tom Brier had been in. I knew of Tom through his youtube and video game ragtime videos that always made me cheer up.
Tom was one of my favorite pianists. I loved the video game videos for the great nostalgia, and appreciated his talent of musical interpretation.
Sorry if this forum already has a post on this, I am just aware now.

Tom Brier- Caring Bridge

Last edited by robotherolove; 12/01/16 05:24 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Sad to hear that. What happened?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
R
OP Offline
R
To the best of my knowledge, it was a motor vehicle accident that left him in a medically induced coma.

Last edited by robotherolove; 12/01/16 05:54 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes you're right. Apparently a truck crushed his car frown

Apparently he's alive but in a wheel chair. I hope he can make it back to his playing

https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comments/4xyuqt/update_on_tom_brier_hopeful/

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brier

Last edited by wouter79; 12/03/16 06:27 AM.

R
R
Tom is a very dear friend of mine. On August 6th, 2016, he was rear ended by a Silverado going way over the speed limit. His car (Ford Focus) was smashed down to, what can be best described as, an accordion. How or why he survived is an absolute miracle. For weeks, he lied in a comatose state. He slowly, but surely, started improving. He first started moving his left arm and leg, which worried us at first since there was little to no movement in the right side of his body. His movement in the left side of his body has drastically improved, and he is now starting to exercise his right side more.

I should also add that, until a couple weeks ago, he was unable to talk. He is now mouthing words, laughing that signature Tom laugh, and is starting to half whisper half talk. He is seeing a speech therapist who is helping him out a TON. I should also add he can now eat solid foods and can successfully feed himself.

I'm sure a number of people are curious about his playing abilities... I don't think they were harmed at all. Another really good friend of ours, Chip Lusby, brought Tom an electronic keyboard that he has the freedom to piddle around on. Another long time ragtime friend, Elliott Adams, who has known Tom since he was a teenager, told me about a week ago Tom was playing arpeggios and chords with his left hand. Elliott reached over with his right and played the first few measures of "Maple Leaf Rag", and Tom was able to just jump right it. Not only did they play it flawlessly, but they played it in SIX different keys! (A-flat, A-major, B-flat, C, F, and E-flat). Elliott has also gotten a number of words out of Tom when he takes some of the original ragtime sheet music from his collection to show him. Elliott and Tom are active music collectors, and have always had very in depth conversations about music.

Tom WILL recover, it will just take some time. I'm happy to know so many of his fans care about his well being. I will be sure to tell him that when I see him in a few weeks. smile

Cheers,
Michael Chisholm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIcVn4ZK9wU

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
There is a page for Tom on the caringbridge website, and many people have been giving encouragement, but be aware that donations will go to caringbridge and not to Tom. A recent post said he was playing scales; if he can do that, a lot must be starting to work again, which is good news.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Amazing.

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Glad to hear he is on his way to recovery, thanks for the updates!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I saw this analysis http://www2.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/assets/images/2002/Aug-26-2002/SUV-report.pdf that shows pickup trucks are by far the most dangerous for other drivers....About twice as dangerous for others than SUVs and sport cars

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
I saw this analysis http://www2.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/assets/images/2002/Aug-26-2002/SUV-report.pdf that shows pickup trucks are by far the most dangerous for other drivers....About twice as dangerous for others than SUVs and sport cars

Thanks for the citation! I'm reading it as we speak. I'm thinking that the SUV mortality stats are because of the whole rollover thing. But the pickup truck evidence is compelling. Great source.

SRF
A
A
I love Tom Brier, he is my favourite contemporary rag piano player.
I was really sad when I knew about the accident, but looking forward for his recovery, he deserves it, he's genuine and highly talented, and always makes me happy when I listen to him!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission