2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
83 members (BillS728, 36251, Acetach, belcanto89, Anevsky, Abdol, Animisha, AndreaH, 16 invisible), 4,741 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Hello all,
I have been listening to a lot of late Horowitz.
I was wondering how you would describe the sound of his famous Steimway in the 80s.
Of course his sound and color world were his own. But that piano has such a unique sound all its own
But that really is such a unique sounding instrument. That bell like
..almost over bright treble, warm midrange, and thunderous super resonant bass.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Horowitz would sound like Horowitz on any well functioning piano.

Horowitz would be much more comfortable playing on a piano he knows well.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Something to keep in mind.

Horowitz had very specific desires when it came to his piano and his piano was set up to be very Un-Steinwayesque. (Did I invent a new word?)

There has been opportunities to play it for many years now and it is definitely very different today than it was the first time it toured. Unfortunately I was not able to look over the piano technically and salespeople there were just interested in hyping the fact that this was Horowitz's piano.

Is anyone here had a similar experience? I am curious to know what technical work may have been performed on the piano since Horowitz used it.

Ed McMorrow, you were a Steinway tech. Have you spent time with this piano at any time? Can you share anything?

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
H
OP Offline
H
Yes, I can tell you I played it the first year it toured.
It was a really pure Horowitz. The touch ..the sound. Completely magnificent.
Then about 17 years later I played it again. No resemblance to the piano that I had played before. I thought it was ruined. Pretty much sounded and felt like a mediocre D that needed a ton of work.

Katie Hafner wrote a brilliant book chronicling in great detail Glenn Gould's relationship with Steinway and one Steinway D in particular (CD318), A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano. Horowitz's Steinway makes a cameo appearance in the book, because Horowitz, too, wanted a unique sound and responsiveness from his instrument, and because at one point Gould had to give up CD318 and was looking for a replacement. Horowitz's Steinway was under lock and key at the time, and anyway Gould and Horowitz were fierce rivals (so there was no love lost between them). But it is speculated that, had circumstances been different, Gould might have enjoyed playing Horowitz's Steinway. We might say something about the exacting demands of pianists of genius, but it probably comes down to (as Ed remarks) what each feels comfortable with. Also, the effort to maintain a piano in the condition favored by one artist is exhaustive and ongoing, and as Horowitz67 and Rich have mentioned, when the artist dies, there is no longer the incentive to keep the piano to his standards and preferences.

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Horowitz67
Then about 17 years later I played it again. No resemblance to the piano that I had played before. I thought it was ruined. Pretty much sounded and felt like a mediocre D that needed a ton of work.

I've heard this as well, that the piano was rebuilt and it wasn't done or set up with the parameters of Horowitz's preferences (or old piano) in mind.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
P
P
Horowitz67, how would you describe it to a technician as if you were trying to recreate how he had customized it.

agraffe, I had not idea that Gould and Horowitz were rivals. I see them as distinct pianists occupying distinct niches, both geniuses in their own ways. I don't know, almost like comparing a brilliant sushi chef to a brilliant steak chef . . .

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Piano90X
Horowitz67, how would you describe it to a technician as if you were trying to recreate how he had customized it.

agraffe, I had not idea that Gould and Horowitz were rivals. I see them as distinct pianists occupying distinct niches, both geniuses in their own ways. I don't know, almost like comparing a brilliant sushi chef to a brilliant steak chef . . .

Terrifically said piano90x

It was a unique sounding piano. I don't think there was another like it.
It was smooth as butter. Could play p,pp,ppp,pppp...and they were all different. The treble seemed very bright to me. A good bright. Bell like. Crystal. The midrange was so warm and lyrical . And the bass had this almost built in thunder. ( not taking anything away from Horowitz's playing ..which his left hand could produce an incomparable thunder like sound)..

As I said. When I first tried it, I thought this was the most magnifiecent piano I had ever touched. I thought...My goodness, I wonder what Franz Moher did to create something like this. Lol.
When I tried it 17 years later. It was just a mediocre, beat up Steinway D, that you wouldn't think twice about .

Last edited by Horowitz67; 02/08/17 07:36 PM.
C
C

Exactly my experience as well. I first played his piano back in the early 90s, when it was touring with his tech. It was magnificent! I went back and played it every day it was in town. I next (and last) played it in 2006 or so - totally different piano, one I didn't much care for.

Yamaha C2X
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
The Horowitz Steinway in his recordings from the 40s and 50s is much better than the later piano and possibly the ideal for Steinway sound.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Originally Posted by Cassia

Exactly my experience as well. I first played his piano back in the early 90s, when it was touring with his tech. It was magnificent! I went back and played it every day it was in town. I next (and last) played it in 2006 or so - totally different piano, one I didn't much care for.
What I think I've read is more or less the opposite of the above, i.e. that the original Horowitz Steinway had to be voiced or rebuilt because it was so harsh sounding.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

When I tried it 17 years later. It was just a mediocre, beat up Steinway D, that you wouldn't think twice about .

Isn't that pretty much the life of all concert grands? They spend their first few years in major concert and recording venues, but by the time they're 20+ years old, they've been replaced by new ones, and moved down to schools, churches, private homes, etc. Come to think of it, I'm a lot more mediocre and beat up than I was 17 years ago.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
G
G
Interesting observations. I didn't play the piano in the 90's, but I had the opportunity in the summer of 2011 when it passed through the Kansas City area. Franz Mohr accompanied the piano and I had the good fortune of playing the piano after he had prepped it. The touch was lighter than I was accustomed to as far as other D's.

I also had the opportunity to hear a concert that evening by a local artist who was very good. But it seemed pretty clear to me that what I heard on records/cd's was the magic of Horowitz, not so much the piano itself.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Isn't that pretty much the life of all concert grands? They spend their first few years in major concert and recording venues, but by the time they're 20+ years old, they've been replaced by new ones, and moved down to schools, churches, private homes, etc. Come to think of it, I'm a lot more mediocre and beat up than I was 17 years ago.... ;-)

Very true!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I modified the regulation on my piano, so it can respond the way I like - which happens to be similar in certain ways to what Horowitz liked as well. Amongst other things : reduced hammer mass, dampers adjusted late, springs less tense, reduced blow distance, less key dip, etc.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
I was allowed to see his last piano at the factory. My former teacher (B. Garlick) was there and he allowed me to examine the piano while it was back at the loading dock. On orders, the regulation that Franz Mohr had done for Horowitz had been reset to factory standards, except for the fifth octave, which Bill had not "gotten to" yet. Very light, very bright, and most adjustments were set for ease of play. I thought it was way to glassy to produce a depth of tone.
When the piano was sent around after its "restoration", it was nothing at all like Horowitz had had it. It was placed at Vanderbilit early on in its tour, and I had some time to examine the restoration. Original board, and it had very little bearing in the middle three octaves, but had a lot of sustain. New hammers, etc, had made a unique artifact into a standard piano's response.
Regards,

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Ed Foote
Greetings,
I was allowed to see his last piano at the factory. My former teacher (B. Garlick) was there and he allowed me to examine the piano while it was back at the loading dock.

Bill Garlick was so cool. I could call him out of the blue and he would chat with me for an hour.... and I am not exaggerating!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
J
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
J
what was the reason for the piano being re-set with standard regulation? Surely part of the lure of playing the piano was to experience something of what Horowitz might have experienced when he played it?

YAMAHA Artist
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The precise state of Horowitz's piano would have varied greatly over the years even when Horowitz was there to guide the technician. Suffice it say that with out Horowitz there to "drive" the situation, the piano will revert to "standard".

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Whatever Franz Mohr did to Horowitz's Steinway D, what came out of the instrument during the concert was 90% Horowitz. You can hear Horowitz's unmistakable sound in his 1932 recording of the Liszt Sonata on the recording he did for His Master's Voice, long before Franz Mohr came on the scene. The controlled frenzy in dramatic passages, the idiosyncratic phrasing, the enormous dynamic range that ranged from thunderous explosions to gossamer lightness - this was built into his hands and body and mind, not into the instrument.

Fazioli 228.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Target note video
by 36251 - 07/02/22 09:30 AM
Best Arduino Courses
by Palak Sharma - 07/02/22 08:15 AM
Pianoteq Stage 7.5 for sale for €80
by meghdad - 07/02/22 03:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,780
Posts3,204,902
Members105,697
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission