2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
When I bought my 2 year old grand a year or so ago (from the original dealer, after the first buyer decided to upsize), it came with a grand Dampp-Chaser that the first buyer had left on it. As I already had a whole-house humidifier, I decided not to bother using the Dampp-Chaser. Seeing, however, that my RH was still sometimes under 30 (according to my old, pretty cheap, hygrometer), I decided this made no sense.

I ordered a Filler pitcher, humidifier pads and treatment from the Dampp-Chaser site, all of which came with instructions. What I couldn't find was any instructions on how to remove the bucket from the piano or how to fill it, using the pitcher.

Managed to get through it without too much difficulty, but still have a couple of questions. Is it correct that, to remove the bucket, you detach the lights, water sensor and humidifier cables from the controller, and then loosen the wing-nut to detach the bucket from the hose?

When the pitcher was empty, the end of the hose was still full of water. I tried to lift it high enough for all the water in the hose to drain into the bucket, but without much luck - had to mop up. Is there a trick to this?

S
S
Youtube is your friend

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
You remove the tank only when you change the pads or clean up the system, etc. To fill the tank, simply fill the pitcher, plug it to the tank tube and hold it high enough to be above the tank. Gravity takes care of the rest. Once the pitcher is empty, simply hide the tube end under the piano where it was.

To remove the tank for clean-up or change pads, you can do what you mentioned (depending on DC model and how it was installed). I personally change pads once the tank is empty - here RH goes so high in the summer that the humidifier part of the DC is not requested. So it's easy to remove an empty tank. Otherwise, I bring a bucket nearby and begin by carefully tilt the tank towards the bucket. Once it's empty, it's much easier to unscrew and disconnect things. Don't forget to unplug the system for extra safety before you start.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
My tech told me to lower the container with tube attached after I had poured the water in, so that any water remaining could drop back into the container. After a few seconds I would just disconnect it and place the tube back inside the clips on the underneath of the piano.

T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by sfhombre
Youtube is your friend

You know, I belong to a woodworking forum in which that answer is given so often I'm embarrassed not to have thought of it. Just took a look and found an number of videos.

Thanks.

T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Bosendorff
To fill the tank, simply fill the pitcher, plug it to the tank tube and hold it high enough to be above the tank. Gravity takes care of the rest. Once the pitcher is empty, simply hide the tube end under the piano where it was.

My hose runs from the tank over a back brace - very near the soundboard, so raising the entire water-filled hose to this level for everything to drain is a problem. I'll take a look at installations in the YouTube videos recommended above, and see if I need to change my configuration.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by tend to rush
My hose runs from the tank over a back brace - very near the soundboard, so raising the entire water-filled hose to this level for everything to drain is a problem. I'll take a look at installations in the YouTube videos recommended above, and see if I need to change my configuration.

You might need to reroute the fill tube so you have more tube to work with on the watering can end. It's possible the fill tube is just too short. I'm not sure if you have a newer system, or one of the various older systems.

Did you notice if the water went in quickly or slowly? If slowly, there may be a small kink in the fill tube, or the watering can just isn't high enough.

If it's just water left in the fill tube, keep the fill tube attached to the watering can and lower the watering can, allowing the water to drain back into the can. THEN, remove the fill tube and place the end inside the watering can and tap it around a bit. This will get all but a few drops out of the fill tube.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
[quote=tend to rush]If it's just water left in the fill tube, keep the fill tube attached to the watering can and lower the watering can, allowing the water to drain back into the can. THEN, remove the fill tube and place the end inside the watering can and tap it around a bit. This will get all but a few drops out of the fill tube.

Yeah. Saw this in one of the YouTube videos. Kinda obvious, at least in retrospect.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi tend to rush, sent you a PM with a pic.

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Just to add, it is the swing in humidity that can be the worse for tuning stability. 30% is a bit dry but if it stays there, the piano should be stable.

The continued dryness may result in some cracks forming down the line though. Good idea to try and raise that. But be warned, if you get the humidity up, and then the tank goes dry and the board flattens out a bit, the tuning will be knocked out and adding water after the fact will not help. So don't leave the house for more than a week without someone monitoring it.

Also, be aware that if you do not have the Smart Heater Bar, and the pads get too much mineral deposits on them and stop wicking water up, the humidifier bar will not turn off, and it will turn into a drying bar, drying out the piano at the precise time when you need humidity!

Even when the tank runs empty, the humidifier bar can still go on. I called DC about that problem. They said 7 watts is nothing to worry about. Well, 7 watts of heat when my piano is already at 20% is something I'd rather not have.

With the Smart Heater Bar, dry pads due to mineral deposits or an empty tank, are the same thing; the bar turns off.

You know you have the Smart Heater Bar if you have three lights on your panel; Power(green) - Water(yellow) - Pads(red)

T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Thanks, Mark. Looks like I do have the Smart Heater Bar.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Even when the tank runs empty, the humidifier bar can still go on.

I noticed that too a few years ago. Then replaced the DC humidistat with an electronic controller.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
With the Smart Heater Bar, dry pads due to mineral deposits or an empty tank, are the same thing; the bar turns off.

The bar is "supposed" to turn off when the pads are dry. However, in the majority of cases I've seen in my area, the pads dry out due to excessive mineral deposits, but the Smart Heater Bar sensor still senses "something" and doesn't turn the humidifier tank heater bar off.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Hmmm...not very smart :-)

L
L
Am I the only one that blows into the end of the tube after filling to clear it of excess water so it doesn't leak back out?

<embarrassed> :-)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I do it, too...gently.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, I like to do that too. Just be sure no one else is doing it too.

As mentioned, the "smart" does not ALWAYS work as intended. Also, try very hard to avoid letting the thing go dry. Repeated drying of the pads will cause them to stop wicking prematurely.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
L
L
Yes to the smart heater bar not being smart. At my last tuning, my piano was way out of whack to the point where the tech said the tuning pins didn't feel as tight -- turned out the pads and the ends of the heater bar were totally encrusted with nastiness and I'm sure no water had been wicking for quite some time (I noticed the piano wasn't asking for water very often but I thought it was just the weirdly warm winter we were having). My dampp chaser has an undercover installed and the tech has been changing the pads for me for years so I hadn't really looked closely to see what was going on. I ended up taking the unit apart after the tech left and chipping off like an inch and a half of mineral buildup off the ends of the heater bar and the top of the tank - so gross!!!

He recommended I switch to using distilled water only because of the crazy high mineral content our water has. (Just a note - if you use distilled water, you have to also use the dampp chaser additive or the sensor can't detect the water in the tank.) It's kind of a pain but it will be worth it if it helps.

And yes, I totally blow into the tube to drain the water.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by lkplatow
(Just a note - if you use distilled water, you have to also use the dampp chaser additive or the sensor can't detect the water in the tank.) It's kind of a pain but it will be worth it if it helps.

I was afraid you would not add that last statement Lisa. Great to see you here after all this time!

I hope the family and your Chickering are both well.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission