2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
@lucky - I provided a link earlier in the thread to the version I learned from. I purchased it from musicnotes.com. Here it is

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0096080

@dogperson - I'm not sure if I understand your question. I said 5 only because that's what I saw on Piano Syllabus website. If that's incorrect, I apologize.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tone Deaf
RCM Canada lists River Flows In You in its Addendum To The Piano Syllabus, 2015 edition, as a Level 9 piece.

As Dogperson says in the AGME it's a grade 5 piece, but what version of the song is used? I'm sure that if a
level 3 or 5 or 9 student were to play this piece each would be playing a version SUITED for their level. Now if
cutestpuppy has learned a "simpler" version maybe they could learn it in 5 days/1 hour per. Would it be "polished"?
We don't know unless they recorded it. Of course if one is learning a piece just for fun, then polish isn't that important.

For anyone intrested, RCM's Popular Selection List 2015 has lots of popular/nice songs for all levels, 1 thru 9 along
with what arrangement to use. The ever popular (groan) Heart and Soul is one of the level 1 selections.

9?? I think I'm going to have to ask my teacher about this now.

I'll say this, if one can play this well after a few hours, my hats off to you. I certainly couldn't. I feel like I'm still trying to play it well.

Maybe a good level description would be 3.14159 and it's irrational ...

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

C
OP Offline
C
I linked the sheets is that one similar to yours?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Maybe a good level description would be 3.14159 and it's irrational ...

Hmmm, that could be my level; it would explain why sometimes I seem to be going in circles.

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cutestpuppie
I linked the sheets is that one similar to yours?

I saw that. I'll have to look closer during my lunch hour, but it looks very similar.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

L
L
Both of the sheets you posted are the real ones, with possible minor deviations here and there, but for all intents and purposes practical, the sheets can be considered identical.

Now, as far as learning it matters, when I worked on it at first, I would be very honest, I spent over 5 days just trying to get the first 6 measures. To be more precise, at least 3-4 days to get the first 4 of them down. That was my level when I attempted it. Ambitions. I think.... :grins:
It got so frustrating at that point that my girlfriend would bring me cups of coffee throughout the day while I just sat there hammering my hands on the keyboard in frustration over why exactly I'm unable to ever play both hands together at the same time. The concept of different notes, in different hands, played at the same time freaked out my brain. I dropped it after m6 or m7. Then my teacher suggested Comptine D'un Autre Ete when I was nearing 15 days of my practice. After that, I re-attempted RFIY, at nearly 2-2.5 months into piano.

In short, pro tip - Don't attempt something way way out of your caliber if you don't want to cry tears of blood. RFIY after 10 days of starting on piano is never a good idea. The only good thing that came out of it was, I still find arpeggios easy. xD

At my current level, if I had never attempted RFIY, I could probably get it up to concert speed with reasonable expression and accuracy in about 3 days for a recording.
It was excruciatingly hard for me back then and almost scarred me somewhere. It's plain easy by now. So, depends on circumstances.

Last edited by luckiest_charm; 06/06/17 02:44 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm not going to comment on the difficulty but just the concept of "finishing" any piece in 5 days bothers me. To do that a piece has to be light years below your current level so that you can easily sight read it and then spend the next couple of hours polishing it. But I simply don't believe that Cutestpuppie has achieved anything near mastery of this piece after 5 days.

Did you really listen to your playing? Even in a piece like this there are so many things you can work on to make it sound beautiful. This piece can be used to teach dynamics, legato pedaling, balance of the hands, relaxed arpeggios, evenness of scale passages, rubbato, ornaments, and overall form. Are you sure you got all of these and it really sounds like you imagine it in your head? (which doesn't have to be exactly how Yiruma plays it, BTW)

Originally Posted by barbaram
There was a Pop Recital on the ABF a couple of years ago, you could take a look and see what people played in that
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2549469/Pop_Themed_Recital_-_June_15th.html

The challenge with pop can be to find a nice arrangement at a level that works for you

The Leonard Cohen arrangements in eg Essential Leonard Cohen are easy to play, I've played through a few of them and enjoyed them.

I learned Radio Ballet by Eluvium before I returned to playing properly as an adult. I think it's lovely, and there's a PDF available online if you Google. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqb60rxl96I
(It's in a scary looking key, but don't be put off by that, it basically means all the black keys)

This is so cool!

Just curious cutespuppy, but how long have you been playing? Have to agree with Qazsedcft you must be playing a piece way below
your current level since you say it took you 5 days to learn.
Are you another James Pavel Shawcross? wink

M
M
It may not count as Pop any more, but what about Moon River? I have a nice arrangement in "Great Songs of the 60s". ("Nice" = "I can play it")

And I keep thinking how weird but also how wonderful that Mozart, Beethoven, Grieg, and the rest - were all rock stars in their day.

Last edited by Medved1; 06/06/17 10:50 PM.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
S
S
Originally Posted by Cutestpuppie
Originally Posted by sanderoonie
From someone who has spent way too much money on pop songs from Musicnotes...

Angus and Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane
The Lumineers - Ho Hey
The Pixies - Where Is My Mind
Moby - Porcelain

May I ask why buy sheets when you can find them online for free? Just wondering.

Don't always find arrangements that I like or are suitable, also takes me too long to transcribe a piece by ear myself. There'd also be copyright considerations...

P
P
Playground Sessions (software based subscription service) has a lot of decent 'pop' content split conveniently into different ability levels. I'm currently still going through the beginner tutorials (which also use mainly pop samples) and working my way through Alfred's book 1 in parallel. But once I'm through those I'm planning to dig into the pop song library from PS. They cover pretty much all modern and classic pop songs and the arrangements seem very good from what I've heard so far.

Roland GP-607
Q
Q
I enjoy playing a few popular songs. (When I was a teenager I would ask my teacher to help me with them, and she obliged. I went on to play in a pop band so she could tell I was not going to be a concert pianist...!)

Back then I learned "Sorry seems to be the Hardest Word" by Elton John, and it is still one of my favorites. It is not easy to play though. I was grade 5 or 6 back then and it took me a quite a while to get right - it was like working on one of my pieces. I played it for a school recital (singing it in Gaelic no less...)

Or how about the best of both worlds?! I picked up a songbook called Bach 'n' Roll. These are popular songs arranged as if written by famous composers! So imagine "Imagine" written by Chopin (I just started that one and it looks good). More info on Hal Leonard's page https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=2501724&subsiteid=3
or Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Bach-n-Roll-Piano-Solo/dp/1603784004

Lately I've been playing the songbook from "Twin Peaks" and it's relatively easy to play and very satisfying if you are a TP fan. I recorded the theme for the "40 Pieces a Year" challenge, and almost have Laura's Theme down too. They are repetitive but the jumps and fingering are challenging in places:

Twin Peaks Theme – Angelo Badalamenti and David Lynch. (Ambient Grand and Strings). From Twin Peaks songbook, Cherry Lane Music. [Soundcloud]

The songbook sells for silly money as it's out of print currently, but hunt around the web as there are "fan sites" that have it.

Enya has a few songbooks on Amazon (for different CDs) and the piano accompaniment is quite lovely and satisfying to play. Unfortunately for a beginner, she loves lots and lots of flats in her keys!

There's also Hal Leonard's 100 Most Beautiful Piano Solo book:
https://www.amazon.com/Most-Beautiful-Piano-Solos-Songbook/dp/1476814767/

In general, I've found pop music sheets very unsatisfying to play if they say "piano+guitar+voice" as the voice is so important and the piano is usually just accompanying. Look for arrangements or songbooks that say "Piano Solo" - that means it sounds good without singing. Also look for artists that are musicians or piano players at heart (like Elton John etc) rather than songbooks by vocalists.

Last edited by QuinGold; 06/07/17 12:04 PM.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha N3X + Pianoteq / Arturia / Ravenscroft
B
B
There is a site that has a running list of top 100 pop type songs. Might be worth a look.

http://sheetdownload.com/top100

Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
Here are a few suggestions:

Climb Every Mountain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUzX4tTy7FM

Love is Blue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YESpZ9j_DUs

The Prayer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...mp;src_vid=31bAg8Njwyk&v=6pyCmDRuPEg

Let It Go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBAQd2v-_J4

Question: Is there a way to bookmark this thread other than bookmarking it in the browser? Can it be bookmarked within the forum? My Stuff says I am Following more than 1600 threads (I don't know why) so that isn't helpful!

Last edited by Rosewood17; 06/08/17 10:45 AM.

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
D
D
When it says a level 5 I don't think their talking about rcm levels. I think they mean method book level. It seems more at the level of faber piano adventures level 5 books that i just finished.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dat77
When it says a level 5 I don't think their talking about rcm levels. I think they mean method book level. It seems more at the level of faber piano adventures level 5 books that i just finished.

I can't say what the number on piano syllabus really refers to. But why is it level 9 in the RCM popular selection list (meaning it could be substituted for an etude)? Probably because if you play it, it needs to be extremely well played, and not just hitting the right notes. I'll ask my teacher on Saturday about it.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

L
L
(meaning it could be substituted for an etude)? Probably because if you play it, it needs to be extremely well played, and not just hitting the right notes.

Are you implying that the rest of the pieces can be played by just hitting the notes right? Right? grin

I couldn't help but grin like an idiot reading that. It's just too interesting. Do let me know what your teacher has to say about this.

@Rosewood I don't know about the rest of them, but as far as the last one is concerned, any pianist able to play one of kylelandry's arrangements wouldn't be wondering about which pop pieces to play.

Last edited by luckiest_charm; 06/08/17 03:00 PM.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dat77

I can't say what the number on piano syllabus really refers to. But why is it level 9 in the RCM popular selection list (meaning it could be substituted for an etude)? Probably because if you play it, it needs to be extremely well played, and not just hitting the right notes. I'll ask my teacher on Saturday about it.

I'd be interested in to hear what your teacher says , or if any other qualified teachers have an opinion to offer.

I've never tried it out but looking at the score, and given for it to be played well and at the speed I heard it played, my ( I know nothing guesstimate laugh ) RFIY is at least grade 4 ABRSM, and 5 not out of the question, that would put it at a higher number on the RCM level. That is what I guess a teacher would say, but who knows .. shrugs.

My gut feeling if a teacher said it is only grade 2 and well familiar with the ABRSM scale, then I'd be a little concerned/surprised.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
Originally Posted by luckiest_charm

@Rosewood I don't know about the rest of them, but as far as the last one is concerned, any pianist able to play one of kylelandry's arrangements wouldn't be wondering about which pop pieces to play.

@luckiest_charm Right you are! smile LOL!

Roland LX-7
Started lessons in April, 2017
In progress: Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course: Lesson-Theory-Technic: Level 2 | Fundamentals of Piano Theory - Level 2 | Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission