2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 6 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DutchTea #2665824 08/03/17 04:48 AM
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry you're going through a rough time. I have nothing to add really, except to say that it never works when you put pressure on yourself to enjoy something such as playing the piano. You have to allow yourself NOT to enjoy it. If you can bring yourself to keep practising, you will get rewards, but you can't predict when this will happen. Piano aside, your general well-being is so important, and I hope you manage to sort something out that works for you.

johnstaf #2665862 08/03/17 09:55 AM
D
D
I seem to feel no motivation every year and it seems to happen right after Christmas till March. I don't know if it's the holidays winter or too much sugar. But what has helped me is giving up what music I am doing at the time. Which at the time was usually method books. And doing something different. For example , learning jazz, or pop music or just work on classical or fake book. I usually did this for a couple of months then went back to my old music and I felt really motivated again. You could try this approach . Hope this helps.

DutchTea #2665872 08/03/17 11:04 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by DutchTea
Originally Posted by cmb13
More importantly, however, I would suggest you speak with an expert on depression; a psychologist, or a physician for instance, and get the evaluation and treatment you need.
When things started taking a turn for the worse about 2-1/2 years ago now, I went to a therapist for about 6 months. The last day I saw him, I had finally gotten the nerve up and revealed some childhood abuse. When I got home, there was an email from him saying he no longer could treat me because he thought I was being too open. I felt shattered and very embarrassed. I'm sure there are more competent therapists out there, but I can't risk that kind of rejection again.

All this talk reminds me of why I love the piano. I can be me and cry my heart out if necessary and it will always be there. Maybe I just needed to consider leaving piano to know that I still want to play.

Being too open? Sounds very unprofessional. If he felt unqualified to help you through that, then he should have said as much and referred you to someone who can help. He shouldn't blame you for his failings!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
DutchTea #2665877 08/03/17 11:20 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm having a holiday away from learning "next one...next one. ..next one..." of pieces that seem"impossible" at the outset, and never become easy to play.
Now for a while to pamper myself, I'm doing very basic stuff, where I can concentrate on various techniques and just play it.
I find that even with that simple material there are challenges, but not on such an intellectual level that it becomes a chore.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
DutchTea #2665960 08/03/17 05:34 PM
N
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
N
That so called therapist should have been immediately reported to the local medical board or whatever the appropriate licensing entity would be. You did nothing wrong--he did everything wrong. I would urge you to try again, maybe a referral from your family physician. As a one who has suffered from depression, I can certainly vouch for the effectivity of many of the medications available now. They can be used in conjunction with talk therapy or can often be used alone. As several others have pointed out, you don't need a reason for depression--it is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and needs to be dealt with medically.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission