2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
¡Hola! My name is don azadon. I seriously doubt I've contracted "carpal tunnel syndrome", yet I'm hoping to synergize my heart goals in music. Hopefully, I can gain some "charity" points & friends trying to assist others, as well as myself to continue to move toward making joyful music with an eternal impact. ... now the not so sad, yet scary story...So at @ 64, I decided to play piano, well it's a casio keyboard, 5 octaves. I'd slipped a disc harvesting multiplied peanuts with a pick, and could hardly walk, but that happens every now and then, since I also have a fragile operated left knee, fragile soul, SERIOUS antecedent injury to left thumb and a recent (<3years) spider bite by a relative of the Brazilian wandering spider (spooked my entire nervous system). I'm not certain why my 123 fingers (LH) tingle. Not entirely numb, yet noticeable, trying to master harmonious & melodic scales.

I can count my friends on the three fingers that tingle and feel numb. (123) {LH} So now I'm 6TH MONTH of basic training. I just play scales @ 3 hours a day, a bit of chords, "Tantum Ergo", "Blowin in the Wind" and "Salve Regina", and working on the latter plus trying to develop fluid arpeggios...tinky-poo happened. I should mention that my hands are too small for a comfortable octave unless I "go low" at the edge of the keyboard, and I stretch fingers (not as Schumann is fabled to have done), just a good 5" full stretch, then I fumble w/ finger control which very recently as well has improved. Formerly (1-6 mos. ago), I could not "give the middle finger" w/ my left ring finger and now it's getting easier, as well as pinky down, separate from the rest. So @ 2nd month lookin at music, I noticed many 7th chords, and decided to go w/ 5-4-2 left hand fingers for chords, simply because it was easier for my mind to just plunk down a thumb for a seventh. I reckon that's a bit more tense, but even a 7th makes me stretch which is not "realax". misspell on poipose,

So I'll close w/ giving a flying hootenanny a BIG thank you for admission to this free forum. Please forgive me if I posted in the wrong area, I saw some very old carpal tunnel threads, and I was, well still am an EMT and take RICE seriously. So far I can't consider rest, since it's just a little bit numb. Enough for a klondike who still stares at keys like WOW...I can tell my chord is "C" since the niche on "E" is on the left for my ring finger.I'll be elevating and trying various forms of compression of my hands in thanks and praise for any tidbits about tingling and prevention. I'm sure it's not frostbite. QDTB plenamente.

D
D
Ok so I'm figuring I posted on the wrong channel, but my plan is to continue playing unless it really hurts, and try to work out the tingling numb stuff. I traced the nerve and tissue/muscle bundles...sort of a wing/shoulder armpit knot: from that site (armpit) I can tweak the nerve. The only pain is lateral edge of scapular and the origin is near the spleen. I think I'll stick with the doctor's advice to rest until I feel better and take two coffees every morning... I found the kahlua brand at 3 for the price of 2. I guess an extra bottle won't hurt.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by donazadon
Ok so I'm figuring I posted on the wrong channel,

I sent you a PM.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
For some reason this thread appears in the "last post" heading but is not visible when I click on the Pianist Corner list. So I think a lot of people are not seeing it.

Oh, I see it's under FAQ--best to start a new thread, I think.

Last edited by jdw; 01/06/19 06:31 PM.

1989 Baldwin R
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdw
For some reason this thread appears in the "last post" heading but is not visible when I click on the Pianist Corner list. So I think a lot of people are not seeing it.

Oh, I see it's under FAQ--best to start a new thread, I think.

Same thing here and I agree with you.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission