2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (c++, ambrozy, Burkey, Bett, Beansparrow, ando, Bruce In Philly, CaseyVancouver, 9 invisible), 1,009 guests, and 523 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 206 of 223 1 2 204 205 206 207 208 222 223
D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by hlm3
Plus, during the pandemic, assembling prior to delivery limits the amount of time that delivery personnel are in the customer's home.

I delivered and assembled my own due to three characteristics in my personality. I'm a control freak, perfectionist, with OCD. That's my wife's diagnosis anyway. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I feel qualified to add more anectodal evidence. I tried the N1X and the NU1X side-by-side again but this time had a bit more time to do testing. This time I realized that the difference between them was much bigger than I originally thought. For additional background I'm currently using a Roland RP-301 which seems to have "Ivory-G" action (whatever that means). It's not bad.

So in playing Bach and Mozart lately I've had to do a lot of trills and having trouble separating out my technical limitations from the limitations of the action I'm using. So with that technique in mind I did my testing of N1X and NU1X. HUGE difference, at least in my opinion. I found the upright action to be limiting in a way, even if it is an authentic representation of an upright action. I also found the sound to be immediately louder and brighter on the NU1X for the same volume level. A fair amount of that seemed related to the location of that piano and the acoustics in that location. But part of it seemed to be related to how an upright action doesn't provide as much dynamic control as a grand. It also helps that the speaker system for the N1X is more substantial.

But the real takeaway is that I experienced a clear difference in my playing on the N1X action even with very little time on it. The trills are better on it than on my own Roland where I've been practicing. So if the PHAIII is similar to Ivory-G you will notice a huge difference.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
I delivered and assembled my own due to three characteristics in my personality. I'm a control freak, perfectionist, with OCD. That's my wife's diagnosis anyway. smile
Amen! That’s me!

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I lean that way just a bit. But I'm also leery of doing a job once, having never before done so. There are too many opportunities for error.
If the dealer's minions know how to assemble a piano, I leave it to them.

G
G
@Pathbreaker:

Thanks for your comment. I own a Roland A-88 that is using the Ivory-G that is closer to the PHAII. I’m using it when I’m moving to a camping lot during summertime (easier to move than the HP307...). The HP307 is a bit better for trills but still limited for speedy passages. My current target is the NX1 as it’s price is in the upper bound of what I can spend for a new instrument.

Cheers!
Guy

Current: HP-307, A-88, Garritan CFX
Before: D-20, HP-1700, HP-236
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Is the N1X suitable for advanced pianists, serious players, virtuoso performers to practice on, learn on and develop their skills, or is the NV10 with its superior action most suitable for advanced techniques and playing?

E
E
Originally Posted by mwf
Is the N1X suitable for advanced pianists, serious players, virtuoso performers to practice on, learn on and develop their skills, or is the NV10 with its superior action most suitable for advanced techniques and playing?
Both are suitable. The only question is whether you are ready to spend more on NV10 due to the damping system.

VSL Steinway D-274, Pianoteq 7, Ravenscroft 275
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
mwf, didn’t we go through that already with you saying N1X was not good for advanced pianists? 🙄

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/24/21 03:15 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by CyberGene
mwf, didn’t we go through that already with you saying N1X was not good for advanced pianists? 🙄

Yes, certainly covered before! And he seemed to form a very negative opinion of the N1X.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Yes, certainly covered before! And he seemed to form a very negative opinion of the N1X.
There must be like 2 persons using that account. One who is interested in the N1X and another who really detests it.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Key Noise of the N1X. Up close and personal.

If possible, turn up your bass and up the volume slightly more than usual. Kindly excuse the amateur playing crazy

Also, as a testament to the N1X's powerful and articulate speaker system, the key noise and other noises were faithfully and articulately played back by the speakers, when I routed the audio to the instrument via BT.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I don’t think the key noise was from the sample. It’s the noise from the N1X key action.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Harpuia
I don’t think the key noise was from the sample. It’s the noise from the N1X key action.

Not from sample at all. All mechanical, from the key action.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
G
G
From looking at the following video: N1X Touch Weight, I've done the same exercise on my HP307 (PHAIII action keybed). I found that the down key weight is varying from around 61 to 64 grams. That means that the N1X is a bit lighter to play than my HP307. For sure there is other aspects to consider (e.g. escapement effect, etc), but it is a good news for me. The difference may not be perceptible but that means I wouldn't be too much out of control when the instrument arrives.

Current: HP-307, A-88, Garritan CFX
Before: D-20, HP-1700, HP-236
M
M
We just returned a CA-99 and NV-5 because of a buzz/distortion in the soundboard on both pianos.

I can read 83 pages of posts, but what is the TLDR consensus on this piano?

Our Yammie dealer rarely keeps things in stock long enough to get a chance to play a specific model and we will most likely have to order and then play it before delivery. If we hate it it will be a waste of time and a a couple of months more without a piano.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by msromike
I can read 83 pages of posts, but what is the TLDR consensus on this piano?

- The cure for my GAS.
- A no frills, no nonsense, no bells & whistles, just focus on learning-improving-yourself piano
- Clean samples, brought out beautifully and articulately by a well designed audio system
- No Bluetooth MIDI, no line-in volume control, excellent line-in noise gate control
- Sturdy, built to last components
- Highly recommended

BTW,
- It's 206 pages laugh but one of the few threads where the pages don't talk about issues.
- Some owners will like to debate my "no bells & whistles" comment.

G. K. Chesterton
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I’m not necessarily debating your “no bells and whistles” comment, but I’m not paying 7/8K for a piano that has no bells or whistles, for I like laying my big bells over the lower end, and then topping it off with some Hungarian whistling on the upper end!

If it ain’t got big bells, I go somewhere else!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
I’m not necessarily debating your “no bells and whistles” comment, but I’m not paying 7/8K for a piano that has no bells or whistles, for I like laying my big bells over the lower end, and then topping it off with some Hungarian whistling on the upper end!

If it ain’t got big bells, I go somewhere else!

Well, it seems like you're sold on the NV-20 laugh

I wish the N1X could have done something more/appealed to you enough to retain you, but yeah, this is it. Just a humble simpleton - take it or leave it.

G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
BTW,
- It's 206 pages laugh
Currently 138 pages in my case.
(Screenshot)
[Linked Image]

I guess it depends on the account settings and the device on which the forum is displayed.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 9190
Originally Posted by mmathew
BTW,
- It's 206 pages laugh
Currently 138 pages in my case.
(Screenshot)
[Linked Image]

I guess it depends on the account settings and the device on which the forum is displayed.

Oh wow; didn't know/realize that this can be different! Thx for pointing it out.

G. K. Chesterton
Page 206 of 223 1 2 204 205 206 207 208 222 223

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Tuner for singing?
by ZanderChicago - 06/20/21 11:37 AM
Recent 24” M1 iMac and Pianos
by dhts - 06/20/21 07:55 AM
Digital piano - online vs in store purchase.
by witor - 06/20/21 07:45 AM
help finding best action DP
by luisdent - 06/20/21 02:03 AM
I’m completely lost!
by Mils - 06/19/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,616
Posts3,105,642
Members101,869
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission