2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 237 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 236 237
D
D
Did someone notice the change to red velvet on the Novus in Bonners newest video (comparing the NV10 to N1X): When I tried out the Novus one year ago it was grey. Do they ship now with red?

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I just noticed and compared to online videos. This is the only one I could spot with red felt. Incidentally, I much prefer this color.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I just looked at that video and the felt is, indeed, red. The replacement I received last Thursday is brand new from Kawai’s US Distribution center. It has black felt. Maybe Europe gets red, and US/CA get black?

Kawai NV10
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Maybe it's just like the clear acrylic front beams that some dealers get, just a touch of flair for the showroom. Or...

Kawai's GL and GX acoustics have black felt too... Perhaps Kawai is making a change for 2019?

BTW, for you N1X folks, this is part of the reason it's going to be hard to catch the NV10 thread. You guys just don't have enough drama and speculation going on with your pianos wink

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
BTW, for you N1X folks, this is part of the reason it's going to be hard to catch the NV10 thread. You guys just don't have enough drama and speculation going on with your pianos wink

It seems like there is hardly anything to speculate on. Like almost only, "when is the N2X coming out?" Unlike an NV20, there doesn't even seem to be the need to wonder if there will be an N2X! smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Yeah, when was the last time anyone posted *anything* about the felt strip on an AvantGrand? wink

I think I had a post early on in the monster NV10 thread about it soon after I got mine!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe the N2X will come next year. Good for me. When I was considering the N2, people told me to wait, the N2X is coming. Well, it hasn't, so I'm glad I didn't wait smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
N1X is now €7499, down from €7899 at Thomann. D*mn!

Another observation- after your amazing list of issues with NU1X, I hardly noticed any complaints or observations from you at all about the N1X. Is it just perfect for you or did you just get exhausted with the evaluation of the NU1X that you had no energy left to beat on your N1X and find all the issue? wink <--- tongue in cheek!

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
C
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Another observation- after your amazing list of issues with NU1X, I hardly noticed any complaints or observations from you at all about the N1X. Is it just perfect for you or did you just get exhausted with the evaluation of the NU1X that you had no energy left to beat on your N1X and find all the issue? wink <--- tongue in cheek!

Maybe he is just playing now =:-O

Carlos

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carlos-CR

Maybe he is just playing now =:-O

Carlos

Good answer! grin

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ha, you guessed it, I was just playing! smile It’s usually my playing time, between 12AM and 2AM, wife and daughter sleeping and me having two hours alone at night smile But I was lazy today and played only 20 minutes. Feel guilty now frown

Let me think of some complaints. The sustain pedal is a bit more noisy than what I would have liked, especially on pedal up. It’s a purely mechanical noise which is somehow related to the rubber bushing that creates the grand piano resistance emulation.

Very nit picky: trills in the middle of the keyboard with the binaural patch are somehow rough. Still don’t know what exactly is off but I guess it sounds a bit like lacking enough reverberation. Maybe it’s related to note off tails. It’s very very subtle though.

Even more nit picky and I guess not a defect but rather an effect that’s also there on grand pianos. Due to the counterweights (?) and or probably heavier bass keys, it seems bass keys require more force to produce ppp compared to the middle or high ranges. It’s actually something that I got used too and comes very useful since it allows me to better control quiet dynamics in the bass which is usually the purpose of counterweights. But it came as something I had to adapt to.

Really can’t think of anything else smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/23/19 06:54 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Now that I suspected the key off release as the reason for trill sounding a bit abrupt, I remembered something I read in the Garritan CFX manual and I found it:

Example: You're recording a very fast, very dense passage in your project, so in order to get a very short staccato sound from the piano, you turn the Room/Release Decay knob and the Release Crossfade knob down until you get the definition from each individual note that you need.

I think that’s what happens with the CFX binaural, it’s a bit more staccato-ish with trills. It’s sad there’s no release decay and cross fade settings in the menu. But I’m wondering if that’s how a new grand piano will sound too. If the dampers are still new they will be able to dampen the sound quicker than when they wear off. I also remembered the “soft release” button in Nord pianos:
Soft Release
A Soft Release-mode adds a slightly longer release, more suitable for legato playing, emulating a looser damper tension in an acoustic or an electro mechanical instrument.

So, as I said, maybe the N1X acts like a new grand with tight dampers. On the other hand I haven’t noticed that through speakers but there’s the actual reverberation of our living room that would mask it so I can’t be sure.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The tech isn't able to come out for two weeks but he had me take some pictures and look more closely for damage. I did and now I'm convinced the problem is not the fallboard, it's the somehow the left cheek has popped out about 1/4 inch or so. I took some pictures, can you see enough in them to tell me if I'm crazy or not? It certainly would explain why the fallboard won't seat any more, it can't reach the left bracket because it's moved over. I've looked the fallboard up and down and it seems totally fine, and both hinges seem aligned correctly. The left top picture the right top is the most obvious to me. You can see wood and pins and stuff that you can't see on the right, the gap is much smaller. Similarly on the bottom, but less obvious visible stuff, the gap looks much bigger on the left than right.

Here's the gallery where you can see the imaged rotated, sorry they aren't here in the post
http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/2842125.html#Post2842125

Left Top
[Linked Image]

Right Top
[Linked Image]

Left Bottom
[Linked Image]

Right Bottom
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Chrispy; 04/25/19 01:21 AM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
The tech isn't able to come out for two weeks but he had me take some pictures and look more closely for damage. I did and now I'm convinced the problem is not the fallboard, it's the somehow the left cheek has popped out about 1/4 inch or so. I took some pictures, can you see enough in them to tell me if I'm crazy or not? It certainly would explain why the fallboard won't seat any more, it can't reach the left bracket because it's moved over. I've looked the fallboard up and down and it seems totally fine, and both hinges seem aligned correctly. The left top picture the right top is the most obvious to me. You can see wood and pins and stuff that you can't see on the right, the gap is much smaller. Similarly on the bottom, but less obvious visible stuff, the gap looks much bigger on the left than right.

Here's the gallery where you can see the imaged rotated, sorry they aren't here in the post
http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/galleries/2842125.html#Post2842125

Left Top
[Linked Image]

Right Top
[Linked Image]

Left Bottom
[Linked Image]

Right Bottom
[Linked Image]

It does look like an alignment issue from your photos. I will be interested in what your tech says about this.

BTW, were you the one that said your N1X is a dust magnet? I see that from these photos, and especially the last one! I wonder if these surfaces are carrying an electrostatic charge because there was not enough anti-static additives in the plastic during manufacturing. I'm also wondering if an anti-static spray would help.

[Linked Image]

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I took some pictures, can you see enough in them to tell me if I'm crazy or not?

I'm not home right now otherwise I'd check mine. I'll be home tomorrow and will compare it with yours.

BTW, were you the one that said your N1X is a dust magnet? I see that from these photos, and especially the last one! I wonder if these surfaces are carrying an electrostatic charge because there was not enough anti-static additives in the plastic during manufacturing. I'm also wondering if an anti-static spray would help.

Mine collects dust like crazy. I have to dust it two to three times a day. It's a phenomenon.

God Bless,
David

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
If you've every owned a black car or taken direct flash photos of one wink it's probably not some kind of electrostatic charge, this just looks like gloss black effect. You see dust way more easily.

Chrispy, hope you get it resolved without any issue. Despite what some here may profess, these are complex, heavy machines and some fraction are likely to suffer from manufacturing/shipping issues, even Yamaha wink The mark of a good maker is in many ways how they will deal with such issues when they arise.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
If you've every owned a black car or taken direct flash photos of one, I think the effect would be clear wink It's probably not some kind of electrostatic charge, this just looks like "gloss black" effect. You see dust way more easily on this type of surface, especially with direct flash illumination.

Chrispy, hope you get it resolved without any issue. Despite what some here may profess, these are complex, heavy machines and some fraction are likely to suffer from manufacturing/shipping issues, even Yamaha wink The mark of a good maker is in many ways how they will deal with such issues when they arise.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Was the piano assembled on-site or at the dealer's? Will you accept a repair on this? Why wait 2 weeks for an uncertain resolution -- save time and just ask to start the exchange process now.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
It was assembled on site fresh out of boxes. I’ll don’t suspect the tech will be able to repair and yes I’d rather have a replacement. I’ll see what he says tomorrow after seeing the pictures and likely call the store.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
FYI the threshold for exchanging should be low. I had my old CA98 exchanged due to some surface scratches that were not otherwise visible in normal use... your issue is much more significant. Good luck!

Page 29 of 237 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission