2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
There was a very old thread in the past where I recorded the Chopin Prelude in Em with various VST-s and I also posted the MIDI file for people to compare.

I didn't have time to look for it again and I prefer always playing the pianos live to have the aural feedback than use a MIDI file, so created a quick comparison today with N1X vs Garritan CFX Full and Pianoteq 6.5 (released yesterday).

I was in a hurry and couldn't show my best, and also my daughter went in the middle of recording the last one (Bechstein DG) and I was barely able to hear how I will finish it but anyway smile

Yamaha N1X binaural

Garritan CFX Full

Pianoteq 6.5 - Steinway D ("Prelude" preset)

Pianoteq 6.5 - Bechstein DG ("Prelude" preset)

All are WAV files. In Pianoteq when exporting I selected high quality and normalization. For the Garritan and the N1X I normalized the wav files in Oceanaudio on my Mac to -1dB. No other changes are done.

P.S. Pianoteq is a trial version, so a few black keys at the end are silent

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/16/19 10:42 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
you know the drill...garritan and pianoteq sound both good, and yamaha sounds like a piano toy from 1980.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I think the last chord says it all: N1X is simply a set of notes piled up together. Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered. wink
Garritan is okay.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered. wink

See my forum signature. You have just been memorialized! thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
blush

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The new version of Pianoteq is a big improvement. The binaural recording of the CFX reminds me of sitting in a small studio with a big piano -as it should, I suppose. I like it.

Last edited by johnstaf; 05/16/19 12:07 PM.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Thanks for posting the Wave files to Dropbox CyberGene. I have to say Pianoteq is getting there. I'm glad I brought it several years ago. I still have to buy one of the more recent add-on instrument packs.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The Steinway D is a nasty affair which is obvious in the repeating chords but I can admit the Bechstein DG is a really good patch. Maybe I can still detect the typical modeling sound I don’t like but it’s the best from Pianoteq I’ve heard so far smile

M
M
After hearing these recordings several times, I've reached the following conclusions:

1. Yamaha N1X binaural - In the first round it was my least favourit piano sound, because it feels too dry. But in the third round this impression was inverted and the N1X seems to me to have the best overall sound. I think I can play with this sound for hours without becoming tired but I can't say I love these piano sound.

2. Garritan CFX Full - The best in the first round but in the other rounds the reverberation feells annoying.

3. Pianoteq 6.5 - Steinway D - The high and low notes seemed ok but the chords in the left hand don't sound to me like a Steinway D. If feels like it was another person playing these chords in another piano.

4. Pianoteq 6.5 - Bechstein DG - Ok but not great.

Thank you for these experience!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Tbut I can admit the Bechstein DG is a really good patch. Maybe I can still detect the typical modeling sound I don’t like but it’s the best from Pianoteq I’ve heard so far smile

C. Bechstein DG is my current favorite from Pianoteq. I've been using it as my go to for my FP30. It's the one I used for this ABF recital submission of a few days ago.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
but it’s the best from Pianoteq I’ve heard so far smile

Still gaaaarbage, though? You didn't say. Which was unusual...grin

Thanks for the update heads up, btw. Downloaded and being evaluated as we speak, to see just how much better it is than an N1X. cool

M
M
The Steinway D is a nasty affair which is obvious in the repeating chords but I can admit the Bechstein DG is a really good patch. Maybe I can still detect the typical modeling sound I don’t like but it’s the best from Pianoteq I’ve heard so far smile

Is it because we all know Steinway sound very well? Bluethner, Grotrian, Petrof, Bechstein: All of them are more pleasant to my ear...

Roland FP-30
Komplete 12 Ult; Ivory 2 - ACD, Grand Pianos; Vilabs - ALL; Pianoteq - 7 PRO; Galaxy - Vintage D, Vienna Grand; Production Voices - All Kontakt libs; Lounge Lizard EP-4; Neo-Soul Keys; AcousticSamples - All; Addictive Keys- All
Zoom UAC-2; Beyers DT-880 PRO; JBL - LSR305
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I think the last chord says it all: N1X is simply a set of notes piled up together. Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered. wink
Garritan is okay.

This... this is beautiful smile

Roland LX708
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice playing CyberGene. And thank you for taking the time to put these recordings together for a quick "shootout".

The N1X sound is quite impressive.

The Garrian CFX sometimes exhibits a cohesiveness. Alas, the ambient room & the noise floor probably contribute to that cohesiveness and get slightly irritating. I turn down the ambient mics and that helps a bit.

The PianoTeq is improving but still has some non-natural sounds to my ears, although I prefer the Bechstein over the Steinway.

I suppose the player's live "experience" is not really captured by the wav files, which is most relevant for some of us. Do you feel the playing experience (ignoring sound quality) is significantly better on one of the platforms?

Last edited by newer player; 05/16/19 12:50 PM.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Nordomus
Garritan is okay.

This... this is beautiful smile

LOL It is nice that Pianoteq is keeps improving and does give an alternative to sampled pianos. I think Pianoteq is wonderful myself. YMMV smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I went through the files now with my headphones and while I like the N1X best, I can also understand why people may not be impressed. It shows nothing about its playability that puts it miles ahead of the other three. Maybe that can also be achieved with a note by note editing in Pianoteq but as of now the N1X expectedly is the only one which feels like a real piano, and an excellent one at that, when played. The others have slight discrepancies, would need voicing here and there, maybe brightening some notes, darkening others, changing velocity not just globally but in regions or even per key, etc.

P.S. That Steinway is such a shame... It epitomizes everything I used to hate about Pianoteq. But the Bechstein makes up for it and is a promising step towards the hope modeled pianos can actually compete with sampled ones. Not a giant leap, but not a small step either smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/16/19 12:55 PM.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
There was a very old thread in the past where I recorded the Chopin Prelude in Em with various VST-s and I also posted the MIDI file for people to compare.

I didn't have time to look for it again and I prefer always playing the pianos live to have the aural feedback than use a MIDI file, so created a quick comparison today with N1X vs Garritan CFX Full and Pianoteq 6.5 (released yesterday).

I was in a hurry and couldn't show my best, and also my daughter went in the middle of recording the last one (Bechstein DG) and I was barely able to hear how I will finish it but anyway smile

Yamaha N1X binaural

Garritan CFX Full

All are WAV files. In Pianoteq when exporting I selected high quality and normalization. For the Garritan and the N1X I normalized the wav files in Oceanaudio on my Mac to -1dB. No other changes are done.

Hi CyberGene,

Nice playing!

What would be cool would be an acoustic recording of the same by your hand. Do you have a spare CFX grand? 😉

Interesting, although I think that the Pianoteq needs more bass in the EQ or maybe just the mids seem too loud. Liked the Garritans most though.

Kind regards

Doug

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Yamaha N1X binaural

Garritan CFX Full

Hi CyberGene,

Nice playing!

What would be cool would be an acoustic recording of the same by your hand. Do you have a spare CFX grand? 😉

Interesting, although I think that the Pianoteq needs more bass in the EQ or maybe just the mids seem too loud. Liked the Garritans most though.

Kind regards

Doug

Just listened to a few other Pianoteq renditions and they are all similar in sound. Seems that bell like aftertaste is too prominent.

Last edited by Doug M.; 05/16/19 01:11 PM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Thank you very much, CyberGene! It's a comparison that I wanted to listen to.

Of that four I'd surely prefer Garritan, it has most rich, resonant sound in my opinion. I was negatively suprised by choppy chords on both Pianoteq plugins, it almost destroyed the prelude. N1X seems to lack resonance.

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Hi guys,

This is a recording of the Rd2000 of the same piece: sound patch 0003 mellow concert.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission