2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OP Offline
O
Gonna be there for a few days. Can anyone suggest a couple...preferably close to the downtown area. Thanks in advance.

Hendricks Music in Downers Grove is good. 630-969-5082 www.hendrickspianos.com. They are a Yamaha dealer but carry other makes as well.

C
C
Try Thomas Zoells at 312-291-0000 (yes 4 zeroes!)He's in the Fine arts Bldg on Michigan. "Only" has Fazioli's. laugh

Kurt Saphir Has Bosies, MH, bechsteins, etc. in Wilmette, in the north burbs. 847-256-5231 I bought my bosie from Kurt's son Dennis.

I've never been to Karnes (Yamaha) on Jackson 312-663-4111, but I've dealt with karnes in vernon Hills & they are excellent.

Kawais(incl Shigeru) at grand Piano haus on dempster, again up north 847-679-9160. Fritz & son Jeff Tasch, good folks.

Cordogan's Piano Gallery (Rick Knebel) 847-267-1500. www.chicagopianos.com also north. Bluthner, Estonia

For a real treat, come up to Lake Forest & play my (almost new)9'2" Bosie, just tuned yesterday. Be happy to throw in an adult beverage or two. 847-295-1524.

Have fun.

Carl

J
J

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
You've got to love this Forum! Talk about a list of 'do's and don'ts' for piano salespeople. It's an ongoing education into the mind of the buyer. Thanks Jerry M. for the input.

Eric Frankson
"Music comes first from my heart, and then goes upstairs to my head where I check it out." - Roberta Flack
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Karnes (Vernon Hills):
Saleman asked once he he could help. I firmly said I am looking and will ask if I need any. Upon the 2nd time he asked I got angry, and pudly (so every could hear) said that when the customer says they don't want help... they don't want help! I then left. This idiot was still there the last time I waked by the store recently.

This is a bit extreme behavior on *your* part, don't you think? I have plenty to say when it comes to salesmen who lie and cheat, but I don't fault the man for doing his job. There has to be a *little* give and take here, you know - they didn't open their doors that morning to be a museum for your pleasure, they're there to sell pianos. If you want to only look, that's fine - but you don't have to be rude to the employees. Just politely say no again. Heck, be a human with a personality and engage him in a conversation about something - you're no better than he is, you know.

As for Cordogan's, you can't control every word that comes out of every salesman's mouth, and that salesman needs training some more - but I will tell you that the company itself, and the family that owns it, are very respectable, honest dealers. Go pay them a visit, and tell them I sent you.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
As for Cordogan's, you can't control every word that comes out of every salesman's mouth, and that salesman needs training some more - but I will tell you that the company itself, and the family that owns it, are very respectable, honest dealers. Go pay them a visit, and tell them I sent you.
Ditto

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
J
J
Larry, Rich ...

I know that probably seems extreme to you (my reactions to being asked for help even after I said no) but this is one of my HOT buttons. I don't want to engage the salesman in conversation - I'm there for a purpose. My internal take on this is that if I can't even rely on him enough to respect my request for such a small thing - what will my business relationship be like with him? We all have these hot buttons (yes, even you Larry) and, for me, this is a big one. I can't stand sales types that won't leave me alone after I've said I don't want help. Part of running a business is to respect the customer and know that sometimes they will operate on their time scale, maybe not the stores.

And, Larry, because I don't wan't help at one point does not mean I am only a looky-loo and am not serious about buying something. I will get help when/if I need it.

In fact it's the opposite. A lot of stores (not just piano) have lost possible business from me becasue they simply couldn't respect that I didn't want to be bothered/followed around after the first time I said no thanks.

For me, it means I'm not being respected or listened to.

Most likely, you guys (Larry, Rich, etc) may react strongly to other things that I may not?
This is part of our humanity.

I'll just end saying I always enjoy reading what you guys (Larry, Rich) have to say. I don't always agree,however.

R
R
Pickle Piano Co in Bloomingdale, IL, 630-894-2992, has August Forster, Bechstein and Petrof and more - relaxed atmosphere, no hard selling.

Kurt Saphir in Wilmette, 847-256-5226.
I have been in this store many times and found Dennis, Kurt, and Dianne Saphir to be very helpful and accommodating. Good Selection, Bosie, Mason, Schimmel, and more, no hard selling.

Piano Experts in Buffalo Grove, 847-215-2999.
Has Seiler as the top of the line, but mostly lower end pianos.

P
P
Jerry, after you learn to spell, the next thing you have to learn is, piano stores are not there for your amusment. They have a living to make.
Get a life and stop bothering piano stores.

R
R
Sorry obrother, I see now you said you wanted stores close to downtown and I suggested Pickle Piano Co., which is NOT close to downtown, but definitely has a good selection and may be worth the trip if you can make it.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
perfect88,

No need to be rude, is there? BTW, it is spelled amusement.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Beautiful Sound, Burr Ridge Illinois. That is an official Steinway dealer, and that's where I bought my Steinway. They also sell Bostons and Essex's. It is a good place with a lot of pianos!

A programmer is someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had in a way you do not understand.
http://www.pianosociety.com/index.php?id=206
J
J
Thanks Rich, you're absolutely right!

Perfect88, why don't you read EXACTLY what I said (misspellings and all!) before you become rude to me.

I was not going to piano stores for my "amusement", I was going to piano stores, few years ago, to *BUY* a piano"... which I eventually did! (PG-150 @ American Music in Niles, IL).

Your type of logic says I shouldn't have looked around when I was serirouly buying, but bought at the first place I went to because this is his living? Huh?... What am I missing here? Rich, Larry.. can you figure this one out???

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I agree that was a bit rude.

Also, add me to the list that will vouch for Pickle Piano. Good people, good dealer, good store.

J
J

R
R
Jerry M,

I brought up Piano Experts because I know they carry Seiler, a good brand and worthy of being looked at. I also know of two people in the group who bought Seilers from Piano Experts and had a very good experience and have published here. I don't know anything more than that.

You should be more specific if you had a bad experience there, otherwise you are just spreading unsubstantiated rumors.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by rjcook:

I brought up Piano Experts because...

You should be more specific if you had a bad experience there, otherwise you are just spreading unsubstantiated rumors.
RJ,

Larry posted recently that "the [Biasco] store was boarded up last week, phone number disconnected, website down. Many customers who have paid for their piano from Biasco are calling area dealers for help. It's a real mess here. The brothers' company ("Piano 'Experts'") has been quick to pick up the ridiculous advertising where his brother left off (full page ads showing big, beautiful new shiny black grands for $2895.)

If this is true about the advertising (and considering the source, I would imagine that it is true), wouldn't you consider this to be a bad experience?

Irving
Faust Harrison Pianos
We sell new Bechsteins, Yamahas, Mason & Hamlins, Brodmanns and W. Hoffmanns, and rebuilt vintage Steinways. All rebuilding is done in our own factory. www.faustharrisonpianos.com
J
J

R
R
Jerry and Irving:

I have no vested interest in Piano Experts, and don't envy myself the role of being their defender, but I do want to point out that it is not fair to lay guilt on a dealer by association. Irving, if you had a brother in the piano business who was not a good dealer does that make you a bad dealer too?

Recently on this forum there were a number of accusations made (which turned out not to be true) against a dealer in Texas as everyone jumped to conclusions and thought and SAID the worst.

I have not read any posts here of people having bad experiences at this dealer and yet I have read of some who report good experiences. This is the only evidence I have to go on. Because I have read only good things and because this dealer carries Seiler, a brand I admire, I mentioned it as a possiblilty. I am neutral on this dealer in terms of my own personal experience as I have not bought anything there, but I have been in the store, played a Seiler 186 and was treated well. The prices were posted on the pianos and seemed fair prices.

I grant you the recent advertising is not a good sign, so buyers do your homework.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission