2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
I know I haven't posted much lately, I've been too busy having fun with my first acoustic piano, but I thought that I should at least update everyone on how it's going.

So far...great!

The piano feels great, it sounds good to me and now that the tuner has paid me a visit I have his opinion too.

I had to use a tuner from Pennsylvania as it was hard to find a tech here in West Virginia and the one I found had said he didn't travel as far as I live (normally).

The tuner had a lot of experience 40 years) and said he loves his job. He tuned it by ear which was fascinating to watch. He did a good job. He said that the piano held it's tune very well for making the trip and it's new surroundings and it seemed like it would be stable for quite a while. He played it at the end and he played very well, it was an eye opener to see what the piano could do in the right hands.

He said that the Webers that he's had experience with have been solid reliable pianos and that mine was a good choice. He knew of Graves Piano and Organ (where I purchased the piano) and said that they were a reputable bunch.

As for tuning intervals, he said that he thought I'd be just fine waiting a year for another tuning but if it drifted out bad enough that it bothered me then I could call him and he'd come for another tuning.

So I guess I'm just saying that this turned out to be a great purchase for me, no regrets at all.

I've got a practice plan that I follow (much better than just sitting down to it and winging it) and have made pretty good progress. (for 7 months)

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Sounds great, Bob! smile

I like all the cushions on the bench (especially when sitting a good while...). :-)

Hope you continue to enjoy your new Weber piano!

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Rickster
Sounds great, Bob! smile

I like all the cushions on the bench (especially after you sit a while...). :-)

Hope you continue to enjoy your new Weber piano!

All the best,

Rick

Thanks Rick!

I couldn't get the bench to raise enough for me to keep my forearms level or slightly high. I was surprised at what it took in height to do that. My body geometry must be weird. smile

I have one of those "X" style adjustable benches but I don't like it as much. It's cheesy looking (but then so are a bunch of pieces of foam I guess)

Last edited by PianoWVBob; 08/11/19 09:05 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I’m glad this new piano is working out well for you, and that it seems to be behaving itself.

Don’t be surprised if you change your mind about needing another tuning before a year from now. New pianos tend to be a little unstable and it’s likely the pitch will drop from playing, combined with the first time the heat comes on for an extended period of time.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Originally Posted by PianpWVBob
Thanks Rick!

I couldn't get the bench to raise enough for me to keep my forearms level or slightly high. I was surprised at what it took in height to do that. My body geometry must be weird. smile

An adjustable bench is very nice to have (which I don't:-).

Had a cheap adjustable bench that came with one of my grand pianos, but it squeaked and squawked if you wiggled or moved while sitting on the bench. After adjusting to the right height, I took the metal frame out and had it tack welded in place in different spots, repainted the welds black, and reassembled. And, Eurika!! no more squeaking and squawking and just the right height! But it was not adjustable anymore either, but was adjusted just right for me.

I have also made some small, square wood blocks with round holes in the middle to accommodate the legs of the bench to raise it up to the right height. But the cushions on top work too. smile

Happy piano playing!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
I’m glad this new piano is working out well for you, and that it seems to be behaving itself.

Don’t be surprised if you change your mind about needing another tuning before a year from now. New pianos tend to be a little unstable and it’s likely the pitch will drop from playing, combined with the first time the heat comes on for an extended period of time.

Oh I won't be. He said it was a touch above A-440 so he left it that way as a baseline so that when winter comes with lower humidity it would be at A-440.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by PianpWVBob
Thanks Rick!

An adjustable bench is very nice to have (which I don't:-).

Had a cheap adjustable bench that came with one of my grand pianos, but it squeaked and squawked if you wiggled or moved while sitting on the bench. After adjusting to the right height, I took the metal frame out and had it tack welded in place in different spots, repainted the welds black, and reassembled. And, Eurika!! no more squeaking and squawking and just the right height! But it was not adjustable anymore either, but was adjusted just right for me.

I have also made some small, square wood blocks with round holes in the middle to accommodate the legs of the bench to raise it up to the right height. But the cushions on top work too. smile

Happy piano playing!

Rick

Good idea! I think I might try fabricating some blocks so that I can at least get the unsightly pads off of it. smile

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the update!! I'm so happy for you!! It's wonderful to have an instrument that sounds so nice and is so rewarding to play!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Bob - I can’t believe it already been six weeks since you’ve had your piano! Your Weber does sound great and it’s also a big deal when your piano tech likes and approves of your piano. It’s also really wonderful that you did find a great tech that is willing to drive out and keep your piano sounding and feeling it’s best for you. Congratulations again. I do love happy piano stories.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by j&j
Bob - I can’t believe it already been six weeks since you’ve had your piano! Your Weber does sound great and it’s also a big deal when your piano tech likes and approves of your piano. It’s also really wonderful that you did find a great tech that is willing to drive out and keep your piano sounding and feeling it’s best for you. Congratulations again. I do love happy piano stories.

Thanks, I'm glad all is well too!

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Glad you are enjoying your new piano.

Are you aware most vertical pianos place the keybed higher above the floor than most grands? I have always disliked how that place ones body for playing. They don't need to be designed that way.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Hi Bob ,
Thanks for this update.You tuner playing that happy
piece is a good way to start the day.It is 9.15 am here in
Vancouver BC.
The piano sounds great ! Best wishes on your music.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/11/19 12:22 PM. Reason: Missing word
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Glad you are enjoying your new piano.

Are you aware most vertical pianos place the keybed higher above the floor than most grands? I have always disliked how that place ones body for playing. They don't need to be designed that way.

Yes, I just read that! Though folks also have a problem with grands being too low apparently.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Hi Bob ,
Thanks for this update.You tuner playing that happy
piece is a good way to start the day.It is 9.15 here in
Vancouver BC.
The piano sounds great ! Best wishes on your music.

No problem!

I think I have made more progress in 6 weeks than in the previous 5 months because it's so inspiring to play. Even simple stuff sounds good to me.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Well that just shows what those live vibrating strings and soundboard can do for inspiration !

Enjoy !

P
OP Offline
P
Well that just shows what those live vibrating strings and soundboard can do for inspiration !

Enjoy !

I've already told my wife that when we retire and move to Florida in a year or two if we have room...guess what we are going to trade up to...lol.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The piano sounds great. A new piano can always inspire one to greater goals (and bigger pianos) grin

[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by PianoWVBob

Enjoy !

I've already told my wife that when we retire and move to Florida in a year or two if we have room...guess what we are going to trade up to...lol.

Bob ,Come on tell us ,please .OK a grand which one ?

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Just joking enjoy that piano .Did you just use your phone to record to record the piano ? My phone records so badly so does my husband's.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 08/11/19 02:07 PM. Reason: Missing word
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
He did a very nice job.

I would not let it go a year though. At the very least December. One way you can perhaps make it more likely for him to make the trip is to attempt to line up two or three others in your area at the same time. That may take some doing, but if he has a guaranteed full days work in your area it makes a difference. (The only problem is that sometimes people agree "now" but then when the actual time comes they back out...so...😟)

Of course, if you make it worth his while...

👍👍

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission