2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2901611 10/18/19 12:28 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I was just listening to Reminiscences de Norma, and there is a full on ii-V-I using straight up jazz voicings. It's Emin9 / A7(13) / Dmaj9. That's pretty cool!!! Check out around 7:16-7:24 in the below video. Just wanted to share this as I just noticed it and it's awesome to see this kind of stuff in 19th century music. Usually when there is something "jazzy" it's one chord snuck in, but this is a true ii-V-I.

A
A
Not sure if that harmonic progression comes directly from the opera or not, but yes Liszt was very advanced harmonically. He pretty much started Impressionism.

Listen to this Schumann piece and see if you catch any weird harmonies and progressions:

A
A
Beautiful moment! And nice catch:) Thank you for sharing. It reminded me of the vi-ii-V-I in the slow theme of his B minor sonata. Although the voicing is not as pronounced because of the moving notes and because the 9th in the ii and V resolves upward. (12:28, and then again at 27:03 in B major).

(And for some reason, in my head the third beat of the bar with the dominant (tenor voice) was a G double sharp (augmented 5th) instead of a G, which would make it much more "jazzy":))

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
@achoo42 - 4:47-4:55 is awesome! Heard this piece many times but this just stuck out upon a relisten.

@Rania - Definitely, such a beautiful moment. See also 15:40 - 15:52, probably my favorite moment in the piece.

Also, the Spanish Rhapsody starts with a min7 chord i believe.

Like I said though, the Norma progression is sooooo jazzy, each of those chords is an extended one and there's three in a row, very rare for the time!

Last edited by didyougethathing; 10/18/19 05:10 PM.
I love the incredible diversity of character Liszt's compositions have. E.g.:
The diabolic/satanic:

The angelic/divine:

The lover/romantic:

The "fun", virtuosic, light hearted:

The morbid:

The impressionist, visionary:

Ok... I'll stop now, I think you get the point grin But in my opinion, no other piano composer was a match for Liszt's musical juggernaut.

S
S
Originally Posted by didyougethathing
I was just listening to Reminiscences de Norma, and there is a full on ii-V-I using straight up jazz voicings. It's Emin9 / A7(13) / Dmaj9. That's pretty cool!!! Check out around 7:16-7:24 in the below video. Just wanted to share this as I just noticed it and it's awesome to see this kind of stuff in 19th century music. Usually when there is something "jazzy" it's one chord snuck in, but this is a true ii-V-I.

That's really cool -- it is like a progression straight out of jazz.

John Mehegan's landmark Jazz book series attributes the first appearance of a specific rootless voicing of ii-V-I progression used by modern jazz pianists to Chopin, where the two chord includes a minor ninth, the five chord has 9 and 13, and the one chord has added six and nine. Unfortunately he doesn't back that statement up with any specific examples, other than to say that it "became one of the vernacular sounds of the Nineteenth-Century piano concerto." I would have liked to have seen a nice example like the Liszt example you just pointed out.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scriabinfanatic

That's really cool -- it is like a progression straight out of jazz.

John Mehegan's landmark Jazz book series attributes the first appearance of a specific rootless voicing of ii-V-I progression used by modern jazz pianists to Chopin, where the two chord includes a minor ninth, the five chord has 9 and 13, and the one chord has added six and nine. Unfortunately he doesn't back that statement up with any specific examples, other than to say that it "became one of the vernacular sounds of the Nineteenth-Century piano concerto." I would have liked to have seen a nice example like the Liszt example you just pointed out.

That's really interesting! Yeah I wish he gave the example, but I guess i'll keep an ear out for something that sounds like that.

A
A
@achoo42 - 4:47-4:55 is awesome! Heard this piece many times but this just stuck out upon a relisten.

@Rania - Definitely, such a beautiful moment. See also 15:40 - 15:52, probably my favorite moment in the piece.

Also, the Spanish Rhapsody starts with a min7 chord i believe.

Like I said though, the Norma progression is sooooo jazzy, each of those chords is an extended one and there's three in a row, very rare for the time!

Liszt has a lot of fun with tonality in this piece.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AAC127
I love the incredible diversity of character Liszt's compositions have. E.g.:
The diabolic/satanic:

The angelic/divine:

The lover/romantic:

The "fun", virtuosic, light hearted:

The morbid:

The impressionist, visionary:

Ok... I'll stop now, I think you get the point grin But in my opinion, no other piano composer was a match for Liszt's musical juggernaut.

+1. Liszt is my favorite, by far!

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission