2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
This question is for regular users of Pianoteq.

I am considering purchasing the stage or standard version soon. I know picking a favorite is very personal but I am curious about yours and why.

On a second thought, also, what is your (un)favorite? smile

Last edited by EVC2017; 11/12/19 07:01 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EVC2017
This question is for regular users of Pianoteq.

I am considering purchasing the stage or standard version soon. I know picking a favorite is very personal but I am curious about yours and why.

Favorite:
1. C Bechstein
2. Steingraeber

Worst: Steinway D & K2

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

You were quicker than me: I complemented the OP. smile

Last edited by EVC2017; 11/12/19 07:04 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Steingraeber - Warm preset. I don't know what it is about this one preset in particular, but somehow this one preset always makes me forget this is digital. It really seems to have a soul! The standard Steingraeber I find too bright.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Favorite:
1. C Bechstein
2. Steingraeber

Me too.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I like 'em all for different reasons. The K2 is wonderfully clear, not unlike a Kawai digital. I think it's versatile. D and Bluthner are inpressive to a degree. They exude quality.
Petrof is my least used.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
My favorite changes from time to time - current favorite is definitely Steinway B with Bluethner in second place.

My least favorite is usually the K2 - but sometimes I like it depending upon what I'm playing.

Kawai MP11SE | K&M 18950 | Kawai CA701 | Pianoteq Pro (Bleuthner, Steingraeber, Petrof, Bechstein, Steinway B & D, Electric Pianos, K) | Sennheiser HD600
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
My least favourite is Steinway D, followed by K2. I used to love Steinway B, but then I discovered Steingraeber. Oh my, it is so good. I only use Warm and Bright presets, with some EQ modification on the latter. I recorded some stuff recently using those 2: Steingraeber Warm Steingraeber Bright

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
My least favourite is Steinway D, followed by K2. I used to love Steinway B, but then I discovered Steingraeber. Oh my, it is so good. I only use Warm and Bright presets, with some EQ modification on the latter. I recorded some stuff recently using those 2: Steingraeber Warm Steingraeber Bright

Nice tunes, nice play. And I agree, it sounds good.

E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
I am listening to the demos (mostly Pop/Jazz/Modern) and so far I liked Steingraeber and Petrof most; I liked Blüthner too and Bechstein.

Not sure about Grotrian, in the past (not sure if with Pianoteq 5 or 4) it was the one I liked most but now I could not make my mind.

I disliked the Steinways (not sure why).

R
R
My fauvorite: Petrof, Steinway B, Grotrian.
Less favorite but still I like: Bluethner, Bechstein.
I don't like Steinway D and YC5.

Last edited by RichieBill; 11/13/19 01:45 AM.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Well it is nicely played and sung but I can't get past the digital clipping. I left him a comment explaining where it might come from, hopefully I wasn't too mean about it.

Usually I just plonk around on the D with the intimate preset and an added reverb impulse file to make it a bit darker.
At my nonexistent skill levels there isn't much need to fuss around with sonic detail. :X

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 7 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Best:
  • Grotrian
  • Bechstein

Worst:

• Steinway D

The Steinway D used to be fairly believable but with a few notes sounding completely wrong (like a bass guitar), but they've changed it so it now is utterly bland and boring (but the bass guitar is gone).

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
It's really sad because I also don't like "flagship" Steinwey D model frown
And my favorites are in that order:
-Steingreaber
-Bechstein
-Blutner

I don't have the rest though. I'm pretty sure I'd like Grotrian and Petrof very much.

Roland LX708
One thing to keep in mind about the Steinway D is that it is always the flagship instrument for obvious reasons. So while it might not sound great now, there is a good chance they will keep improving it with each release. So it might still be a good 2nd pick even if it's not your absolute favorite right now.

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Granyala

Well it is nicely played and sung but I can't get past the digital clipping. I left him a comment explaining where it might come from, hopefully I wasn't too mean about it.

Usually I just plonk around on the D with the intimate preset and an added reverb impulse file to make it a bit darker.
At my nonexistent skill levels there isn't much need to fuss around with sonic detail. :X

'You mean YT recording? I set too much gain on audio interface and later it was too late to do anything about distortion. If you are talking about SoundCloud one, I don't hear any clipping. It's just compressed compared to original file I uploaded.

E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Well it is nicely played and sung but I can't get past the digital clipping.

I didn't notice it, probably because I wasn't paying close attention. And I was listening through a BT speaker (not that I think about it, I will listen again through the iLouds and headphones).

PS (kind of OT): About liking/disliking a sound, I remember I hated ES8's SK sounds and loved EX. I found SKs sound character "whining" (thinking in portuguese, trying to find the best word to translate into english) and loved EX brighter character. But now it is the other way round, I love SK-5, like SK (modified) and dislike EX (SKs are better ballanced).

Last edited by EVC2017; 11/13/19 05:14 AM.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

Well it is nicely played and sung but I can't get past the digital clipping.

I didn't notice it, probably because I wasn't paying close attention. And I was listening through a BT speaker (not that I think about it, I will listen again through the iLouds and headphones).

PS (kind of OT): About liking/disliking a sound, I remember I hated ES8's SK sounds and loved EX. But now it is the other way round, I love SK-5, like SK (modified) and dislike EX (SKs are better ballanced).

I owned MP7 (not SE) and it caused my strong dislike for EX and later I found relief in ES8 SK.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My Pianoteq pianos are...
Steinway B
Steinway D
Steingraeber
K2

...and I prefer them I that order.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
O
O
It's all a matter of taste of course, but for me, I like the C Bechstein the most for its clear and distinct upper register. The bottom however leaves a bit to be desired, which can be elevated though EQ. I mostly use it for classical and the top half for soloing in a mix.

For jazz I like the Blühtner the most, also added EQ. I like the resonance on the Blühtner grands so much.

I use a MP11SE as controller. For the Bechstein I use a standard Normal touch curve. For the Blütner Unlike a more mellow and dark sound and use a modified Heavy+ touch curve.

Least favorite for me are both Steinways too. They just don't sound right.

Last edited by OmniaAequalis; 11/13/19 08:48 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission