2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Before I get too invested in the setup, I wanted to see if this will work. I've just started an online piano class where I need to record a video myself playing. My hope was to plug the N1X right in to my iPhone via the audio interface and that the camera app would use the sound from the audio interface rather than the mic. Is that the case? It's not totally clear to me from the manual, which says I need a DAW to record, not sure if the iPhone works like a DAW in this case.

If not, what's my best bet? Can I hook my phone and audio interface to my phone and record them at the same time (with OBS perhaps?)

Basically what would be ideal is one step so I don't need to do any post-production to add the music to the video in the interest of time.

Thanks!

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
If anyone cares, the answer is yes. I was able to plug the usb with the audio interface in to my phone and record a video. The sound from the piano was picked up as the audio input. This makes it easy to record videos of myself playing with high quality sound. Yay smile

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, that’s great, so the USB audio is compatible with iOS devices! Might switch to such a setup myself since I’m a bit tired of having to combine separate audio and video and syncing them. Did you use the Apple camera connection adapter?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I’ve also had trouble ‘syncing’ audio (line-in to computer) with video. Last time I tried, I recorded audio/video into a regular camera and simultaneously recorded audio directly from the piano into my computer; I then used a program (can’t remember the name) to do the audio syncing. The best I could do was to visually/manually try to match the direct audio track with the audio track from the camera, but no matter how much I tried, the audio would end up out of sync. So basically, the first half of the audio recording would be fine (match the video), but then it would gradually start going out of sync, and by the end, my hands and the sound were completely out of sync. Needless to say, I gave up.

At some point I considered the Zoom Q8. This camera has line-in for direct audio recording, so problem solved, I thought; but then I learned that these cameras produce the so-called ‘fish eye’ effect, and decided to pass on it.

I wonder if the ‘audio’ is recorded on a separate track on the iPhone? This could come in handy for further editing/enhancement of the audio track; perhaps using a basic DAW like GarageBand?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Pete, it depends on the camera as well. I have two Fujifilm mirrorless cameras, a pretty old X-M1 and a newer one X-E3. I export the audio from my N1X on a thumb drive in WAV which is purely digital so there's no way it can get out of sync since it just digitally combines some existing internal samples into a rendered WAV file (or at least that would be the proper way of doing it). However when I sync that audio with the video from the two cameras, it gradually goes out of sync with the X-M1 and stays in sync with the X-E3. Might be due to skipped frames or bad internal clock in one of the cameras. Or probably truncation of FPS rate because on the X-M1 it's 30 FPS whereas on the X-E3 it's 24 FPS.

BTW, I always start recording with a short staccato note where I try to move my finger visually as much and quick as possible which then gives me a visual clue to sync with the note attack from the audio file and I do that in iMovie because it shows the audio peaks beneath the video track.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Awesome information, thanks!

I can't wait to get my P-515 and try it myself tonight smile

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Good to know, CG. I never thought about that, but yes, the camera I used was a cheap Panasonic.
Still, this ‘direct’ recording into an iPhone/iPad definitely simplifies things, and eliminates (for me) the need for a more expensive camera. I already have an iPad, but I’ve been considering upgrading to the newer ‘Pro’ for a while. I assume the camera on these newer iPads would be better than the one on my old iPad. So yes, this would be a win-win for me.

J
J
Can you confirm whether the sound recorded was stereo or mono?

Last edited by Jonky Ponky; 11/26/19 03:46 PM.
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jonky Ponky
Can you confirm whether the sound recorded was stereo or mono?

Stereo. In fact, I had headphones plugged in when I took the video so it's possible it's binaural, but I can't tell.

Here's the actual video I took: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWDHLDSXIBg

Forgive my mediocre sight reading skills, part of my reason for recording is a new online piano course and I wanted to capture what my sight reading ability is.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I tried it on my P-515 and it works, not so surprising but just to confirm smile

Also works with the various social media apps like Instagram, Snapchat etc that I tried. Really cool.

Last edited by Boboulus; 11/26/19 04:13 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
I tried it on my P-515 and it works, not so surprising but just to confirm smile

Also works with the various social media apps like Instagram, Snapchat etc that I tried. Really cool.

Yamaha are lucky to own Steinberg and use their audio interfaces smile It’s a clear advantage in the modern digital age.

Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Wow, that’s great, so the USB audio is compatible with iOS devices! Might switch to such a setup myself since I’m a bit tired of having to combine separate audio and video and syncing them. Did you use the Apple camera connection adapter?

I used a cheaper non-Apple version, quality seems good though: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TWTXQ51/

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Are you sure the audio and video are in sync? USB audio tends to come with typically 200 ms (min 40 ms) delay...

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by _sem_
Are you sure the audio and video are in sync? USB audio tends to come with typically 200 ms (min 40 ms) delay...

That doesn’t matter. There’s a clocking information in the USB stream and the iPhone can correctly sync the two streams even if there’s one minute lag. It would just wait for the data to appear to merge it at the proper place.

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by _sem_

That doesn’t matter. There’s a clocking information in the USB stream and the iPhone can correctly sync the two streams even if there’s one minute lag. It would just wait for the data to appear to merge it at the proper place.

I know it can, but have you checked if it actually does?

Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You can see for yourself in the above video. My left 5 is pretty clearly in time, I personally don't detect any latency (I'd notice 200ms, maybe not 40ms.)

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for posting this. This will be useful with the Jazz learning site that I am using. How did you mount the iPhone?

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
Chrispy Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peddler100
Thanks for posting this. This will be useful with the Jazz learning site that I am using. How did you mount the iPhone?

Ahem... well, it's a little janky for now. I need to get a proper tripod and mount. For that video I had the phone in this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C7UYCWW/ which I then put on a nearby music stand and bent the legs so it stayed in place. It was far from ideal, especially for positioning laugh

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
So, we’ve confirmed that it’s possible to record audio/video directly into an iPhone/iPad from the N1X’s audio interface (or other models with built-in audio interface). This is great.

Is it fair to assume that this can also be achieved from an external audio interface?

The idea would be to connect the piano’s line out (analog) into an external audio interface (Focusrite, Presonus, Zoom, etc...); then connect the interface’s USB to Host into the ‘Apple camera adapter’, and finally into the iPhone/iPad to record video and audio simultaneously.

P
P
I am completely new to this. When you guys said "directly into iphone" did you mean just using the lightning cable to connect the usb port with iphone? Or we still need an adapter?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission