2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
A
A
I find the Roland FP-30 to be quite good. But I would want more features that the RD-88 has. Now if the RD-88 can be had for about $799 - then it is a a lot of instrument for the money - especially with all the new extra sounds.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Not bashing anyone's opinion. However, an "emphatic opinion" should only be made if the piano has been experienced hands-on by the opinionist. Even at that, it is still considered subjective, but at least has credibility. YouTube opinions can not be emphatic, only subjective without much credibility.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 01/22/20 03:09 PM. Reason: typo and word change
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Not bashing anyone's opinion. However, an "emphatic opinion" should only be made if the piano has been experienced hands-on by the opinionist. Even at that, it is still considered subjective, but at least has credibility. YouTube opinions can not be emphatic, only subjective without much credibility.

I'm quite confident about my opinion and wouldn't get offended if someone bashes me. I hate being politically correct when I talk about instruments and my passions. I have listened to SuperNatural stuff from Roland before (many times). As soon as I listen to a youtube video I can even say if the equipment they have used to record the audio was good or bad by comparing it with what I have in my memory. Specifically, Yamaha as I owned Yamaha gears for many years. I listened to hours of SN pianos as RD-2000 was one of the keyboards I was considering to buy.

MSRP: $1,600
and sweetwater sells it for 1,200

LOL to Roland. Overpriced, over-exaggerated and yet sounds like toy piano which has some piano modeling.

Casio sounds much nicer in this price range and I guess it even offers a better action!

Last edited by Abdol; 01/22/20 03:44 PM.
Abdol #2937170 01/22/20 04:02 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Abdol
LOL to Roland. Overpriced, over-exaggerated and yet sounds like toy piano which has some piano modeling.

Well, I tried.

I'm still looking forward to giving the RD88 an honest hands-on demo (.....Actually , I hope it has a "toy piano" voice so i can add Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts to my playlist wink )

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Has Roland decided to go to more modeling and less sample-based cause they see this technology has more upside or do you think modeling saves them money thus increasing their bottom line?

I remember how excited I was to have an FP4 cause each note of acoustic piano was sampled. I really enjoyed that piano. Then each newer version, they began to be less real sounding on videos and audios I listened to Is the newer tech more appreciated by the player, as some rave at Pianoteq, Physis and V-Piano cause the sound of each note interacts with each other?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Abdol #2937295 01/22/20 08:30 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Abdol

Casio sounds much nicer in this price range and I guess it even offers a better action!

I obviously haven't tried the RD-88 yet, however my initial impressions are that it looks like a great product, and one that will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I agree with you James. I'm off to church choir practice in a few minutes and this board would be perfect for me smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
F
F
I agree as well. Anxious to put my hands on one as only that will allow for a serious opinion.
The same action is on the FP10, FP30 and FP60, yet they all play and feel somewhat differently.
And thanks for trying, Marko in Boston wink

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
After hating the same action on the FP60 (PHA4 Standard), I wouldn't go near this board. As I've said before - it felt absolutely fine, but I had a problem repeating notes in a very legato fashion - i.e - when lifting up and re-playing the same key, without a gap in between. So not necessarily a fast repeat - just a very legato repeat. The repeats would often sound softer than I had intended. Never had that problem on any other keyboard, and I certainly don't have it on my current board - the Yamaha P-515 - it hasn't skipped a beat.

Greg.

A
A
The best thing is to try the actual unit! Who knows what may be a little different. It if it is really lightweight, has easy access to great sounds, and the action is at least decent - it can have its place. I don't think anyone has realistic expectations that it will be lightweight and have the action of a $200,000 Steinway. Let's get real As I said - I like the FP30 but strongly dislike the headphone as the only output and the pain of finding sounds in a live environment. Just those two improvements is great. I would also like to see a case - so that it is no more than 50 lbs airline weight.

Last edited by AB99; 01/23/20 03:38 AM.
AB99 #2937404 01/23/20 04:20 AM
O
O
Originally Posted by Fleer
I agree as well. Anxious to put my hands on one as only that will allow for a serious opinion.
The same action is on the FP10, FP30 and FP60, yet they all play and feel somewhat differently.
And thanks for trying, Marko in Boston wink

Exactly! Always try the exact model that you wish to purchase for that reason - it may well feel/play differently (despite being the same on paper).

Originally Posted by AB99
The best thing is to try the actual unit! Who knows what may be a little different. It if it is really lightweight, has easy access to great sounds, and the action is at least decent - it can have its place. I don't think anyone has realistic expectations that it will be lightweight and have the action of a $200,000 Steinway. Let's get real As I said - I like the FP30 but strongly dislike the headphone as the only output and the pain of finding sounds in a live environment. Just those two improvements is great. I would also like to see a case - so that it is no more than 50 lbs airline weight.

Well, I certainly can't call myself a musician or pianist yet...

...but when the time came to sell my FP-30, it was an absolute doddle to get off the stand and place into a travel bag to take it it it's final destination. The RD-88 is even lighter than that (half a kilo or so), so shouldn't pose such a challenge.

Then the FP-90 arrived... gosh! I can see why a travelling musician might not want to cart that around.

Is there a lightweight piano on offer from Roland that has the fully-modelled sound engine (for those who prefer it)? The RD2000 is almost 22kg!

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 01/23/20 04:22 AM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by OscarRamsey
Then the FP-90 arrived... gosh! I can see why a travelling musician might not want to cart that around.

Is there a lightweight piano on offer from Roland that has the fully-modelled sound engine (for those who prefer it)? The RD2000 is almost 22kg!

I'm afraid not. The RD800 has the "ordinary" SN and is almost 22kg, without speakers, PHA4 Concert keys. I'd guess the "engine" doesn't need to weigh that much, but better key action and case do.

I wouldn't care for modelled or not - it how it sounds to you that matters. Besides, Roland modelled can be SNM or PA...

sullivang #2937583 01/23/20 01:17 PM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sullivang
After hating the same action on the FP60 (PHA4 Standard), I wouldn't go near this board. As I've said before - it felt absolutely fine, but I had a problem repeating notes in a very legato fashion - i.e - when lifting up and re-playing the same key, without a gap in between. So not necessarily a fast repeat - just a very legato repeat.

That exactly describes what happens if a board doesn't have a triple sensor. Do we know whether the FP60 is supposed to have that feature? It doesn't appear to be mentioned on their web site.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
PHA-IV Standard (same as on the FP30, FP10, RD88, A88Mk2) is triple sensor.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Yep it's triple sensor, but I've not had this problem on prior boards - including conventional two-sensor boards. It's a strange one - maybe I'm doing something atypical. Shrugs.

Greg

_sem_ #2937648 01/23/20 04:15 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by _sem_

I'm afraid not. The RD800 has the "ordinary" SN and is almost 22kg, without speakers, PHA4 Concert keys. I'd guess the "engine" doesn't need to weigh that much, but better key action and case do.

I wouldn't care for modelled or not - it how it sounds to you that matters. Besides, Roland modelled can be SNM or PA...

I guess they've missed a trick then, or is something else on the cards later?

Personally, I prefer PA to SNM sound. I did like my FP30 too, but it's been a while since I've owned it - perhaps my opinion would be different now, having had SNM and PA.

Originally Posted by sullivang
After hating the same action on the FP60 (PHA4 Standard), I wouldn't go near this board. As I've said before - it felt absolutely fine, but I had a problem repeating notes in a very legato fashion - i.e - when lifting up and re-playing the same key, without a gap in between. So not necessarily a fast repeat - just a very legato repeat. The repeats would often sound softer than I had intended. Never had that problem on any other keyboard, and I certainly don't have it on my current board - the Yamaha P-515 - it hasn't skipped a beat.

Greg.

Personally, I found the PHA4 action (FP-30) a bit hard on my fingers after a year. Being an absolute beginner at the time, I can't comment on repeating notes.

It was a lot easier for me to control dynamics (PP to FF) on the PHA-50 FP-90 which replaced the FP-30. Again, as a beginner I appreciated that. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now - I guess I'd have to have another go at PHA4 to tell you whether I feel the same way.

Last edited by OscarRamsey; 01/23/20 04:22 PM.

Learning to play. Consciously incompetent, which apparently is a good starting point. smirk
C
C
Has anyone heard when the owners manual might be available?

Yamaha YC88, Kawai CA93, Yamaha MODX8, EV ZXA1
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Personally, I found the PHA4 action (FP-30) a bit hard on my fingers after a year. Being an absolute beginner at the time, I can't comment on repeating notes.

I've been practicing on the PHA4 / FP30 for almost 4 years now. It is best played with a proper weighted-arm technique, it begs to be played like this and is very comfortable to play like this in the long term. But repeating notes is one of the weaknesses of the PHA4/FP30. Compared to the quick and clean repeating action of a typical acoustic, repeating notes on the PHA4 are very sluggish (even when compared to an upright action).

On the other hand, I'm happy with the PHA4 action and would buy another one. For short, compact actions, it's one of the best out there for the "portable slabs".

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
F
F
Apart from the action as such, I was thinking as follows when deciding on the sound and playability of a DP.
Sampled DPs like Yamaha’s P515 tend to have a lack of immediacy when playing. And then there’s that vast bunch of samples libraries to run on your computer.
Modeled DPs like Roland’s V-Piano in their FP-90 or RD-2000 are second to Pianoteq in my book.
Finally there’s the SuperNatural approach of the RD-88, seemingly combining the strengths of samples and modeling. So I got the RD-88. In three weeks.

Fleer #2940425 01/30/20 12:04 AM
A
A
Please report back when you get your RD-88. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Fleer
Apart from the action as such, I was thinking as follows when deciding on the sound and playability of a DP.
Sampled DPs like Yamaha’s P515 tend to have a lack of immediacy when playing. And then there’s that vast bunch of samples libraries to run on your computer.
Modeled DPs like Roland’s V-Piano in their FP-90 or RD-2000 are second to Pianoteq in my book.
Finally there’s the SuperNatural approach of the RD-88, seemingly combining the strengths of samples and modeling. So I got the RD-88. In three weeks.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission