2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
97 members (36251, An Old Square, ambrozy, AlphaBravoCharlie, Andre van Haren, Bostonmoores, APianistHasNoName, 20 invisible), 831 guests, and 505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pnbgnr8 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
It has been a while since I had last posted on this forum...I was only lurking ; )

But now I actually have a great news to share! I finally narrowed down my possible dream upright piano and made a purchase!! Ye-y! (I really appreciate your advice and feedback whenever I post here on this forum. Thanks! to many of you who take the time to read and reply to my post.)

Originally, I had my heart set on August Förster upright for awhile but when I went and tried to play it for the second time, I just didn’t “feel it” which was very strange because I thought it was my dream piano for a long time. I guess the first impression can be “not correct”.

So back to square one and I went in search for a dream upright; tried different brands like Schimmel, Seiler, Steingraeber, Bechstein, Haesler, Roenisch,etc,..... And I found the Sauter!!!
It was really my ideal dream piano! To me, both the sound and the touch was just perfect!!

Almost 4 months ago around Thanksgiving, we stopped by a music store which we knew they carried Sauter piano. They were actually having a Black Friday Sale...in Germany, a bit strange...but wanted to seize any opportunity for a possible Sale!

They had sort of a dealer specific(?) specially made model...Carus 122. (Searching online, I believe they were available in France at one point or another and also some other countries.
Sauter’s regular Carus model comes only in 112(cm) height but somehow this dealer had the taller version. I was playing around the shorter 116cm of other model also by Sauter...I think the extra height gave more sound and keys felt different and I really enjoyed playing Carus 122!

There was just one problem........I really wanted my piano to be “not black”........I could have taken this piano off of the showroom if I wanted a black piano. But since I really wanted Walnut finish on my piano, I decided to “special order” this “special model”. (I know some people consider this unthinkable act....getting a piano unseen, unplayed...but...). I am really hoping and praying with Sauter reputation and their quality I have seen so far, it won’t be a problem........

I am REALLY PATIENTLY waiting.............since from the end of last November... They told me it will be ready around the 10th of March(well, initially were told end of Feb but that didn’t happen... cry), and they will do the prepping which might take another two weeks or so AND THEN it will be delivered. I have no idea what “prepping” involves...won’t Sauter make it perfect? Is it really necessary to be tweaking anything and make it not Sauter sounding piano??? Should I go see and inspect it before the dealer preps it???
Oh wait! Never mind!! I just came across this very informative what’s involved in dealer prep page by piano buyer site! I will take the time to read it...since I still have plenty of time!

During this waiting period, I also bought some cleaning cloth(thanks to someone’s advice on here...using organic cotton diaper cloth, really soft!), piano key cover, a digital hygrometer and a humidifier. Our living room’s RH is around 20% in winter!! With this new humidifier, it goes up to close to 40% not above...hopefully, it will be enough. (Haven’t paid much attention to what it was like in the summer...oops...guess will have to see when summer comes...). Also, since we already told the dealer about our really low RH in winter, they are putting some humidifying bar called Hydroceel inside my piano to regulate the moisture level from within...so hope it will be ok... (If we were in the US, we would invest either in the whole house humidifier or damp-chaser in a heartbeat but since we tend to move a lot we wanted to take the economically sounding option...)

I also started to practice more often so that I can just “play” on the new piano rather than to “practice”. Only easy short pieces since I am not a professional pianist...but with this acoustic dream piano, I am hoping to get better and be able to play my dream piece, Chopin Nocturne op 9 no 2 someday... ; )

I just cannot wait!!! grin grin grin

P
pnbgnr8 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Little update...if anyone’s following/interested in my post...

Just got a word from the sales rep that my piano will be shipped from the Sauter factory on the 13th of this month...(yep, Friday the 13th... eek)
Then as soon as the store prep is done and have the delivery date, they will contact us again.
I am guessing the delivery will more than likely be the last week of this month...

Also, I am still a little bit concerned about our humidity situation...today it is around 35% RH... I really hope Hydroceel can make a difference. (Anyone ever used this device before???)

I hope I made the right decision...since I have all this time to reflect, I am starting to doubt my decision, to tell you the truth. Especially, I am thinking this is the only piano we will ever buy. (Is this even a realistic notion?)
I am not sure if I took more time, maybe we could have gotten a better piano...(kind of had to decide on the spot since it was the last day of the Black Friday Sale and wanted to take advantage...). Come to think of it, choosing the right piano is sorta like picking up the right partner...how can you tell if this is the ONE??? Or the one you can stick with till death do you a part??? (There might/gotta be better ones out there...???).
But seriously, how can you tell if the piano you have is the one that is your life-long death do you a part instrument or the one that you could eventually grow out of??? (Or...is the “grand piano” the ultimate answer to life the universe and everything???). cry

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Congratulations, that’s exciting news! Post pictures when you get the piano!

It is always better to have some piano to grow old with than it is to have no piano to grow old with.

My old landlady, who led a rather depressing existence wrapped up in the ugly world of New York real estate, eventually found herself in an old age home where she spent her final days playing an upright. I was happy that she seemed to find some peace after so much strife.

P
pnbgnr8 Offline OP
OP Offline
P

Thank you, LarryK for your reply!

Yes, definitely I will post some pics once it gets here! Hopefully sooner than my prediction time...

I agree with what you said...better to have a piano than having no piano at all! eek

Sorry to hear about your landlady but glad that it had a happy ending with a good piano by her side.
Perhaps I should just be grateful I have my own piano (will have one) on my side from now on... grin

P
pnbgnr8 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
If anyone’s curious.....the update...... eek
The store is supposed to have my piano delivered from Sauter factory tomorrow.
With the Corona happening around the country, it might affect our delivery.
Of course I feel terrible for those who lost their lives...very close to where we are, being close to Austria border...and I am definitely scared of possible contact with those infected...(asthma sufferer) and understand the safety measure if the government need to enforce the lockdowns.
But, at the same time, I am very very very ready for my piano to be here... Hoping for some miracle..........! cry

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Congratulations to the "Sauter club "
I am sure you will be delighted with your lovely Sauter piano.
We bought our Sauter 130 in 2018 . Just love the rich pure
tone and the smooth action.
You may want to disinfect the keys.I believe Hydrogen Peroxide
with some water on a cotton swab .Make sure of doing the whole
keyboard.( black and white keys ) I know of one Sauter dealer who is
cleaning the keyboards this way.
Alcohol is best but you will damage the keys with alcohol.So do not
use Alcohol please !
You could start a new thread about your new piano and the safest
way to disinfect the instrument. Do this in the main Piano Forum or
the Piano Technicians Forum (or both )
We need to hear about someone buying a new piano .,It would take
our minds of this negative side of this C virus.
Enjoy your wonderful piano! I am sure you cannot wait for it to arrive.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by LarryK
Congratulations, that’s exciting news! Post pictures when you get the piano!

It is always better to have some piano to grow old with than it is to have no piano to grow old with.

My old landlady, who led a rather depressing existence wrapped up in the ugly world of New York real estate, eventually found herself in an old age home where she spent her final days playing an upright. I was happy that she seemed to find some peace after so much strife.

Hi Larry ,
We have not seen much of you on the Piano Forum. I hope you are still enjoying playing!
Are you still having lessons ?

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/19/20 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Sauter recommends a humidity level between 45 and 60.
20% is really low !
Do have under floor heating ? You would need something
like a thick carpet to protect the piano.
Please do something to raise the humidity.
Best wishes !

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
It is good the dealer is having the piano properly prepped .
This will have a positive affect on the piano for life.

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
pnbgnr 8
When you do wipe the keys just do not use much on the
cotton swab.(do not let it dribble down the side of the keys)
By the way I mean't "congratulations ,welcome to the Sauter
club "

P
pnbgnr8 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Lady Bird,
Thank you for your kind words!
I have read your post about your journey of getting Sauter 130. Wonderful story!
I didn’t think about disinfecting keys of piano! Hmm... 🤔. But thank you for bringing that up.

As for the latest......
I think it coming tomorrow!!!!! Ye-y!!!
Actually the salesperson was nice enough to send me a picture...(because I begged him... 😊)
I can not wait to see it in person and play it!

My Sauter

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
So glad your lovely piano is arriving ! I bet you can't wait !
Oh by the way your picture does not work for me.
Which shop in Germany did buy your piano? I have played
a few different model Sauters in Paris including your 122

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/25/20 11:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
P
pnbgnr8 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
OMG~!!!!! It was delivered safe & sound yesterday~!!!!! grin grin grin

I am loving the real acoustic sound of my piano~!
(I have had the digital one for awhile but nothing can beat the real thing IMHO...)

Sorry Lady Bird...having some tech difficulty...(with pics)
Hope this works...

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2960255/my-sauter.html

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
It's beautiful pnbgnr8 !
Apart from polished ebony I really like the Walnut finish !
You will have to provide more pictures sometime ,and a sound clip ,
after your pianos first tuning !
I am actually doing some (amateur) research on Sauter pianos ,so am
trying to find as many serial numbers of new pianos as possible.
My pianos serial number was 121002 and it was sent to Canada in
early 2017.
pnbgnr could you tell me what the serial number of your new Sauter is ?
(if you do not mind ?) Otherwise it does not matter.
Most of all enjoy your piano! (I am sure you shall )

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/28/20 12:07 AM. Reason: Missing word
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Another Sauter piano also in Walnut ! I hope its going well with
you and enjoyment of your piano.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
7000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! Sorry for the late post (I always forget this subform is here...).

It's a handsome piano! I generally prefer wood grain to black. thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I must admit I really like Walnut finish .,Actually I do not mind the polished ebony either. With Sauter some wood finishes are
less expensive than polished ebony. I think the same occurs in August Forster.
I presume pnbgnr8 is so busy practicing, that he does not get time to write. Just, amazing a Black Friday sale 😍 in Germany.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 10/26/20 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
RIP Barry Harris!
by 36251 - 12/08/21 12:07 PM
Barry Harris has died
by Dfrankjazz - 12/08/21 12:07 PM
I composed a wedding song
by itsKAT - 12/08/21 11:57 AM
Casiotone & Sustain Pedal - Sustain too long
by Charline - 12/08/21 11:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,450
Posts3,151,484
Members103,558
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission