2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Bett, c++, Cushite, ambrozy, Burkey, Beansparrow, ando, Bruce In Philly, 8 invisible), 989 guests, and 511 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 131 of 142 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 141 142
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RickM
I just had a quick look at the Kawaii ES920 user manual. I believe it was released late last year.

It shows that you can rename and delete individual files, use uppercase characters in the name, record while in Four Hands mode, and has per key adjustments of voicing, tuning, and volume.
Of course it can. The reason is that the ES920 uses a classic little screen with physical buttons, so it uses that old (but practical, functional and virtually bug-free) textual user interface that Kawai internal team developed more than 15 years ago. The same interface is currently used in the CN39 and the CA59:

[Linked Image]

It has many buttons and a small LCD screen, but not a touch screen interface. Elsewhere I believe I heard that it uses the same virtual technician smartphone app as the CA79/99.
Yes it's the same app, and I think it's also the same app you get on the touch panel of the CA79/99. So, on the ES920/CN39/CA59 you get the benefits of the fast and bug-free old UI and, as a bonus, you can get the same modern (but currently a little buggy) interface of the CA79/99 series by using a smartphone/tablet.

Unfortunately, only the CA78/98/79/99 and Novus series use the premium SK-EX Rendering Engine...

F
F
I've added another recorder bug: While the gain is saved between reboots, the format is not. That's an annoyance.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Kawai, there are definitely some issues with the UI of the CA79/99 and I think they should be fixed ASAP (and I hope they will) rather than just focusing on the developing of the next series of digital pianos.

Are you sure that’s what you want?[...]
Yes, absolutely. You have to take care of your loyal customers, if you want them to remain loyal to you.

And if we don't complain, manifacturers will think their products are perfect, so customers will never get updates.

We have a moral duty to complain! Pianistic humanity is at stake here...

[...]You will get your perfect UI and zero-buzz CA99 after the NV-20 is released; heck, I’ll even join you in complaining about the screen that doesn’t go black, but once again, let’s work together on this and be patient for the betterment of the community!
Well, I complain more for the lack of per-key customizations. For the screen you can always cover it with a black panel: issue fixed... But a missing function is just... Missing! (in action?)

S
S
Originally Posted by Suki0650
Hi, I tried a Factory reset once and it didn't work, but I unplugged the DP for 10 min, did another factory reset and the sound is beautiful! All the hill pitch shrill that made my ears uncomfortable is gone. So happy with the beautiful sound.
I have come to believe that there is an issue with the firmware for the SKEX rendering on the CA79. As I posted above, I thought the issue with the shrill noise was fixed, but later recanted because the issue returned. I started up my piano today and heard the shrill noise with the first sound settings that the DP always starts up with, but when it loaded to the SK-EX Classic rendering (my default loading) the shrill noise was gone! This makes absolutely no sense, and because it is intermittent I have to believe the firmware has issues. Here are the recordings with the exact same SK-EX Classic settings - 1 from today and one from 10 days ago. Here is the WeTransfer link: Shrill and No Shrill.
I believe it was already clarified here that "shrill" is just an added resonance modeled by the SK-EX Rendering Engine to give you a more realistic experience. On a real acoustic piano you'll hear that and many other shrills! If you don't like it, I think there is an option to lower its volume or deactivate it completely...
To clarify my issue, it is not that there is a shrill or resonance with the SK-EX, it is that I have had the very same SK-EX setting give two different sounds on multiple occasions. If it was just the way the setting sounded, I would understand, but this is a different issue.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@Suki0650: maybe it's because when you power-on the instrument, the piano starts always with the default settings... Only after the UI touch-panel completed its loading, you'll get your customized settings.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
I want Kawai to continue dedicating 100% of their resources to the NV-20 digital hybrid piano series; if not, and Kawai is distracted by all these complaints, we risk the NV-20 turning out to be a lemon because, you know, Timmy wanted a perfect CA99, now!

To: Kawai

By the power vested in me by myself, I hereby declare @Pete14 the official, Piano World designated representative to handle the user acceptance testing of the NV-20 prior to your global release. Please deliver the specified number of NV-20 units to the address requested for by @Pete14, and kindly make sure he has everything required to commence and finish his rigorous tests. Thanks for your support.

Dates: 05/03/2021

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
R
R
Unfortunately, only the CA78/98/79/99 and Novus series use the premium SK-EX Rendering Engine...

And only the CA79/99 have the GFIII action.

Kawai CA79 (arrived Nov 28, 2020), Roland EP7-II (1993)
R
R
To clarify my issue, it is not that there is a shrill or resonance with the SK-EX, it is that I have had the very same SK-EX setting give two different sounds on multiple occasions. If it was just the way the setting sounded, I would understand, but this is a different issue.

I believe that. I don't remember if I posted it, but a few months ago I found that my D#1 key was very soft and muted compared to the keys around it. I switched back and forth between other rendered and non-rendered pianos and it persisted. I eventually discovered that if I played the notes around that key with the soft pedal, their tone would match the un-pedalled D#1. It was as if that note had the soft pedal specified for it no matter what. I thought it persisted through a reboot, but I can't swear to that now. It eventually went back to normal.

Kawai CA79 (arrived Nov 28, 2020), Roland EP7-II (1993)
A
A
Just curious....

1. Hands up who have ACTUALLY lodged their concerns / issues with Kawai head offices in their country or with Kawai Global?

Forget dealers, as they are just at the mercy of Kawai as are we.

2. What response did you receive back? Can you please share?

I do hope, the majority here are not just venting their issues back and forth to a piano forum thinking that this will somehow help the situation.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by avss01
Just curious....

1. Hands up who have ACTUALLY lodged their concerns / issues with Kawai head offices in their country or with Kawai Global?

Forget dealers, as they are just at the mercy of Kawai as are we.

2. What response did you receive back? Can you please share?

I do hope, the majority here are not just venting their issues back and forth to a piano forum thinking that this will somehow help the situation.

** hands up **

1. Dealer: We've written to our "distributor relations contact", but unfortunately we have not received any response. Will follow up.
Struck out, since you asked to forget dealers. Mentioned here just for the sake of completeness.

2. From one with designation "Digital Piano Product Manager" (full name withheld) with '@kawaius.com' address. In response to an email to info@kawaius.com. Describing my use cases in detail (already detailed in several posts on this thread), plus a link to the notepad:

<<
Hello,

I’m sorry you’ve had to wait for updates and implementing features such as the Virtual Technician user parameters etc. I will pass on your comments and list of problems to the engineers in Japan. I know they are working on updates but the pace has been very slow perhaps due to this pandemic.

Regards,

Alan
/>>

Last edited by mmathew; 05/03/21 09:58 PM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
A
A
Thanks mmathew

Your response sounds like mine...at least somewhat positive.

Any other responses from Kawai along these lines or otherwise?

I am trying to remain optimistic that something is being worked on....

Again....my response below from Kawai Australia......

Thank you for contacting us and welcome to the Concert Artist ranks! I hope you’re loving your piano. We’re in regular contact with the engineers over in Japan who oversee the development of these pianos and yes, they’re aware of the rough edges still needing attention in the software. Updates to address these are in progress as we speak, though I’m sorry, I don’t have a timeline for their release. We’ll announce any new updates to owners as soon as they’re available, but as a shortcut, you might like to keep an eye on these pages:

Kawai Global News
https://www.kawai-global.com/news/

Always up-to-date with current firmware versions:
https://www.kawai-global.com/support/updates/

With regards,

Ok, so I've got another pretty bad issue with recording saving on USB. These problems are really starting to tire me out...

A while ago I mentioned an USB stick that previously worked fine malfunctioning, and having some temp file being written which didn't get deleted, stopping recordings from happening.
The issue was actually worse than that, I just didn't realize it at the time.
What happened, on top of leaving that temp file on the USB, was that the USB filesystem got 'locked' in a read-only state. This means that neither the piano, nor my computer can now write on the USB file.
At the time, I read up on it and found it was possible for USB keys to have a built-in mechanism to "lock" their filesystems when they reach the end of their lifespan, so that you can get your files without risking to overwrite anything else. I'd been using that stick for quite a while, so I thought that could have been it at the time.

Fast forward to now, I've been using another USB stick for recording that I've specifically formatted with the piano.
For a couple weeks, It's been going fine - no issues with recordings over 4min.
Until this morning, where a recording bug happened : after recording a few takes, one of the recordings did not launch (which I realized after finishing the piece...) it stayed in the 'prepared' state.
However, I could not launch it by tapping on the screen or anything. After fiddling with the screen for a few secs the recording launched, but then I couldn't stop it. Fiddling again with the screen and after ~ 20sec the "Recording Error" (same as last time) popped up.
I got the USB stick out of the piano and checked on my computer, the temp file was on there (still empty at 0B). I removed it and made a safe copy of all my previous recordings, before rebooting my piano, replugging the USB and retrying to record. Recording would not start. the "prepared" state would be enabled, but nothing would start it and the "Recording Error" would show up after a while.
I got the stick back to my PC and to my horror, found it was now a read-only filesystem.

This is the second USB key that has turned out this way after having recording issues with my DP. While I can thankfully still backup the files after the USB becomes read-only, the only way I have found of reversing it back is to reformat it. I'm sure anyone can understand I'd rather not have to do that every 20 recordings (on top of potentially losing recordings to the error...)

I really don't know what to do from here... I've done everything I could to make the recording work properly and even formatting the USB in the DP visibly makes it crash at some point...
Recording is already stressfull enough process to me without the annoyance of the Save/Erase UI elements I've expressed multiple times here, I really don't want to have to worry about having the recordings not saved on top of it !

Kawai CA79 (Jan 2021), Casio Privia PX-870 (Jun 2017)
I'll also add that the recordings I was making prior to this crash were not 4+min, just short 1-2min ones (so the size of the file visibly doesn't have much to do with it).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@Meap6 - this sounds like a serious and complex issue. It appears that a user has to spend a good amount of time (weeks, months) with the instrument, and quite regularly using the recording feature to be able to experience this behavior/issue. While there is a chance the issue could be instrument specific - the issue is there.

The recording UI is the least-user-friendly implementation, ever - to put it mildly. Maybe it's designed for professional Concert Artists who perform flawlessly and all they need is one tap of the screen.

When I owned the instrument, I gave up the battle with the recorder UI. I ended up using an external audio interface connected to GarageBand for recording - it was much quicker and less clicks. It also ended up being convenient - with the Mac on top of the instrument so I could easily retake, delete, start new etc. I first tried USB to host - but for some reasons the Mac couldn't consistently detect the instrument - maybe an issue with the Mac/drivers.

G. K. Chesterton
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Try more usb sticks.

Unfortunately usb sticks have many many chipsets. It's got its own processor/ram/firmware(os). It's not actually universal except on large desktop OSes which can accompany more variability.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Make sure you're using a USB stick of a good brand, such as Sandisk, Kingston, or Crucial. Get it with a reputable store.

There are many junk USB-sticks around that work fine for a few weeks or months, and then the memory just fails. There are also many forgeries of the better and more expensive USB-sticks around, especially on online selling platforms.

Just get a good brand in a good store, and your problems may just magically disappear. I've never had a problem with the higher-end Sandisk cards and USB-sticks in any device, ever.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7 (Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers Harpsichord, KIVIR)
Intel NUC i3-6100U, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
M
M
+1

My CA99 wouldn’t accept one of my old USB stick either. Then I bought a new (expensive) one and it worked!

Roland FP-7
Kawai CA99
M
M
Clicking keys? Anyone got ‘em fixed?

In the beginning of this thread there were a few posts about the random “plastic clicking”. Now after about a years playing I feel the clicking increases on my CA99.

There is a Grand Feel Clinic thread but mostly about GF2.

What do you folks think of the longevity of GF3?

Roland FP-7
Kawai CA99
Originally Posted by Mike192
+1

My CA99 wouldn’t accept one of my old USB stick either. Then I bought a new (expensive) one and it worked!

I could accept that the piano straight up rejects some USB keys, but that it works just fine for an arbitrary number of recordings and then starts having issues is weird !
I'll try to get my hands on a "brand" USB key, hoping it solves the issue - but I'm currently at 2 for 2 USB keys failing me with this DP. Let's hope the problem is with the USB sticks.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Meap6
Originally Posted by Mike192
+1

I could accept that the piano straight up rejects some USB keys, but that it works just fine for an arbitrary number of recordings and then starts having issues is weird !

That's not weird, it's almost the default. There's much more junk around with regard to flash memory than you could ever believe.

In one of the local big box retailers in my neighborhood you can find nameless 64 GB USB-sticks for €3. They're junk. The flash memory wears out in under a few weeks if you start writing to them regularly. Same for their nameless SD-cards.

Never had that problem with Sandisk stuff, but you'll pay (a lot) more than €3 for 64 GB.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7 (Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers Harpsichord, KIVIR)
Intel NUC i3-6100U, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
Page 131 of 142 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 141 142

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Tuner for singing?
by ZanderChicago - 06/20/21 11:37 AM
Recent 24” M1 iMac and Pianos
by dhts - 06/20/21 07:55 AM
Digital piano - online vs in store purchase.
by witor - 06/20/21 07:45 AM
help finding best action DP
by luisdent - 06/20/21 02:03 AM
I’m completely lost!
by Mils - 06/19/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,616
Posts3,105,642
Members101,869
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission