2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (Burkey, ando, Beansparrow, c++, Bruce In Philly, Bett, CaseyVancouver, accordeur, 10 invisible), 976 guests, and 539 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,000
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,000
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
No problem, navindra. It's primarily what I do for a living, when I'm not posting on the forum, adjudicating festivals and competitions, or writing product reviews.

Scriabin is an acquired taste beyond the early opuses, that really didn't register on my radar until I was in my second year studying at a conservatory. It's very late romantic/early 20th century piano music... for piano nerds. When I was in my 20s I was really taken with his music. I taught a Russian Piano Literature class last fall semester, and the reaction from my undergraduate students to Scriabin was completely mixed-- not all of them liked it, but they generally knew it when they heard it on the listening exams. Your general unease with the opening motive can often be a useful tool in figuring out whether you're going to like a Scriabin work, because he tends to stick with those opening motives throughout so many of his piano compositions from start to finish.

The earliest of his music sounds more like Chopin, while the later music becomes increasingly avant-garde and consumed with crazy imagery, philosophy, mysticism. It's with that stuff that you have to really get "outside yourself" and assume a larger-than-life interpretive persona, to get the interpretations to work in support of the inherent oddity of the music.
This just makes this piece so much more interesting to listen to now... the piece gets better and better with each listen. Everything you've explained here somehow just makes the music better for me, by contextualizing it, and pointing out the reference points. Music is amazing in this way. 👍

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Sounds awesome. And the performance has improved! It's practically Sofronitzky now.
Wow, thanks so much! You saying that means a lot to me 🤝 I listen to Sofronitsky a lot since he's to me the authority on Scriabin. For this poème in particular I've also listened to a recording by Heinrich Neuhaus who renders it lovely.

Navindra, terminaldegree already did a fantastic explanation about Scriabin and it pretty much sums up how I approached Scriabin myself too. Up until very recently I've found his music rather abstract, a bit atonal, hard to grasp, maybe boring too. The only work that I liked and even recorded on my CA63 some years ago was the Etude Op.2, No.1, a work he composed when 15 years old, so deep and touching, kind of similar to Chopin. But it was only maybe a year or less ago that I started opening my ears more towards his other works and it is definitely an acquired taste. I even remember when I heard this Poème (that I can't get enough of now, I absolutely adore it!) some months ago for the very first time it sounded a bit abstract, and I felt exactly as you: it's almost atonal but then tonal at the same time... I remember I liked the second and fourth pages of it, the arpeggio passages that are impressionistic in feel and more approachable. But then when I downloaded the score and started playing it (and listening to more performances) it suddenly made a lot of sense and to me it's 100% tonal and is so logical! Very weird, this thing happens to me with a lot of Scriabin works from his early and middle period. They start a bit odd, abstract, atonal and with every new listening I love them more and more. Scriabin is now among my most favorite composers, along with Chopin. I can describe him as a more modernized Chopin. And his music is indeed a bit nerdy in that it requires some exploration, I mean to play from the score yourself before you appreciate it.


My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,961
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,961
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Sounds awesome. And the performance has improved! It's practically Sofronitzky now.
Wow, thanks so much! You saying that means a lot to me 🤝 I listen to Sofronitsky a lot since he's to me the authority on Scriabin. For this poème in particular I've also listened to a recording by Heinrich Neuhaus who renders it lovely.

Navindra, terminaldegree already did a fantastic explanation about Scriabin and it pretty much sums up how I approached Scriabin myself too. Up until very recently I've found his music rather abstract, a bit atonal, hard to grasp, maybe boring too. The only work that I liked and even recorded on my CA63 some years ago was the Etude Op.2, No.1, a work he composed when 15 years old, so deep and touching, kind of similar to Chopin. But it was only maybe a year or less ago that I started opening my ears more towards his other works and it is definitely an acquired taste. I even remember when I heard this Poème (that I can't get enough of now, I absolutely adore it!) some months ago for the very first time it sounded a bit abstract, and I felt exactly as you: it's almost atonal but then tonal at the same time... I remember I liked the second and fourth pages of it, the arpeggio passages that are impressionistic in feel and more approachable. But then when I downloaded the score and started playing it (and listening to more performances) it suddenly made a lot of sense and to me it's 100% tonal and is so logical! Very weird, this thing happens to me with a lot of Scriabin works from his early and middle period. They start a bit odd, abstract, atonal and with every new listening I love them more and more. Scriabin is now among my most favorite composers, along with Chopin. I can describe him as a more modernized Chopin. And his music is indeed a bit nerdy in that it requires some exploration, I mean to play from the score yourself before you appreciate it.
I think after you've conditioned yourself to accept the modernist aspects of such composers, you can find that a lot of traditional harmony becomes a little boring too. A bit like eating your food with no spices. (or at least you set the bar much higher in terms of thematic content, voice-leading, chromaticism, rhythmic devices, key-changes, modal mixture, etc) I never got completely into atonal music like Schönberg, Webern, Berg. But I did learn a lot from studying it. It made composers like Scriabin very comfortable to listen to. So I think previous exposure has a lot to do with how we hear things.

Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,910
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,910
This is great playing by any standards. Any pianist would be proud of it.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
Originally Posted by johnstaf
This is great playing by any standards. Any pianist would be proud of it.
Wow, thanks, John, I respect your opinion so much 🍻


My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 154
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Some people may have followed my odyssey in the DIY real grand action controller? thread. It started two years ago ... Whoever is interested, can follow details in that other thread. No more words, here's the result:


I've never seen such fluent trill in any commercial dp keybed! (at 6:15) So effortlessly captured and translated! Amazing! Have you made an instructable for this already? So beautiful. cool smile


Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
Josh, thank you. I guess you followed the link to this thread from my signature. I should have linked to a newer thread where I open-sourced the project. Here’s the GitHub:

https://github.com/ekumanov/cybrid

But it’s a one-off project that I believe would be too difficult to recreate by other people. However that project influenced other people to make their own projects and I’ve linked to one of them in the description. I think you should check it out, it’s much more advanced than mine: https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/05/21 04:04 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 154
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 154
Yes I did, I have been looking for projects like this ever since... gauging which one's are feasible based on local supplies.
Yeah, it would be difficult , but I don't mind soldering and wiring. However but fabricating custom PCBs would be a challenge though.

Can you confirm though that it can do note repetition and legato like this one here or even better:

Triple Sensor

(scroll down a bit and select triple sensor, for the demo sounds)


Thanks a bunch... smile


Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 512
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 512
Hello,

@CyberGene: I absolutely adore your project. I have been too new to Piano World to be aware of it, but might still read this thread and be enticed to a level where I'd have to strongly manage myself to steer clear of such a project. I'm still trying to learn that 'I possibly could do this (fill in any project)' doesn't necessarily mean 'I should do it'.

Originally Posted by josh_sounds
Can you confirm though that it can do note repetition and legato like this one here or even better

If a VPC-1 like behavior is what you're after, then the wiser, *much* cheaper and *much* quicker thing to do is... drumroll... buy a VPC-1.

Cheers and happy dreams (nightmares included) of sweet projects,

HZ

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
Josh, repetition and trills depend entirely on the action. I regulated mine very carefully and thoroughly which is why the trills are easy. The sensors simply detect hammer velocity.


My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 111
S
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 111
There are a few interesting variants of a DIY digital grand piano I see posted occasionally.

CyberGene got it all started!

And I am continuing to chip away at my own.

Its just a hobby so work on it as time permits. Documenting progress on YouTube so once its done (maybe? someday?) I can remember all the pain and suffering smile

Most recent update:


Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,296
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,296
Wow, you guys are really on to something!

I hope we could see a collaboration that leads to a product ‘we’ could buy at some point.

Perhaps something where the customer provides an acoustic action for these ‘systems and sensors’ to be installed and then shipped back (the updated action) to the customer.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
stemPianist, great progress! I remember the time I spent working on this project. Although most of the time I was just doing stuff in my head, it used to keep me busy. What a sweet time! I managed to finish it just before COVID and that was a lot of luck on my side since I depended on deliveries and stuff.

I miss those times 😒 For quite some time I’ve been mainly just learning new pieces on the N1X. And I replaced the DIY stuff with my other hobby, the synths but it’s not the same.

So, enjoy it while you can 👍🏻


My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 111
S
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 111
Thanks CyberGene! And, the videos are a bit behind, so the project is moving along ok.

Pete14 - I would buy one, then don't have to make my own smile For collaboration, I keep thinking to propose a DIY Forum on piano world. Probably lots of creative ideas out there. And could be motivating.

Joined: May 2020
Posts: 429
D
Full Member
Online Content
Full Member
D
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 429
Originally Posted by stemPianist
Thanks CyberGene! And, the videos are a bit behind, so the project is moving along ok.

Pete14 - I would buy one, then don't have to make my own smile For collaboration, I keep thinking to propose a DIY Forum on piano world. Probably lots of creative ideas out there. And could be motivating.

Hey Greg,

Nice to see other attempts at this. Do you have a github repo, besides the YT videos?
Not everybody wants to make things from scratch, but I think very many would buy a pre-designed kit which needs only some assembling and/or some coding, hence sharing the PCB and BOM could help them.
In any case, how is your design different from Jay's piano conversion? From the video I could not tell.

Cheers

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,986
BTW, how's Jay's piano conversion going on? I think he doesn't post on the PW or GitHub often, so I'm not sure where he is now, the last I've seen is he already wired one key. I guess by now he should already be finished?

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/07/21 10:36 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 512
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 512
Hello,

Originally Posted by stemPianist
I keep thinking to propose a DIY Forum on piano world. Probably lots of creative ideas out there. And could be motivating.

I'd be interested and would read such a forum, and possibly post some posts on (modest!) mods I'm doing to get my piano setup just those little tads more to my liking.

Cheers and happy projects,

HZ

Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 614
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 614
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

Originally Posted by stemPianist
I keep thinking to propose a DIY Forum on piano world. Probably lots of creative ideas out there. And could be motivating.

I'd be interested and would read such a forum, and possibly post some posts on (modest!) mods I'm doing to get my piano setup just those little tads more to my liking.

Cheers and happy projects,

HZ

Care to give us a preview of the 'modest' mods you're working on, HZ? :-)


A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 512
H
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 512
Hello,

Originally Posted by mmathew
Care to give us a preview of the 'modest' mods you're working on, HZ? :-)

😀

Well, maybe, after gaining a lot of additional confidence in my messing and fiddling... I might... Don't get any hopes up too much though...

For instance, there's this multi speaker thing we talked about before, which has now gone from four to six speakers. But I'm experiencing technical hiccups and feel more safe ironing those out before posting any posts on it. If the hiccups prevail instead of me, the whole attempt may be binned. Time will tell. At some moments, like yesterday, I'm tempted to just throw everything out the window and/or pick up and smash the whole shebang across the room.

After which I need a day or two to stop the smoke coming from my ears etcetera, you get the picture.

🤬 > 🙄 > 😬 > 🤔 > 😔

Oh well...

Cheers and happy modding,

HZ

Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 111
S
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
S
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 111
Originally Posted by Del Vento
In any case, how is your design different from Jay's piano conversion? From the video I could not tell.
Cheers

Good question, I have not looked at his in any detail. Pretty sure different parts (except CNY70?). And I don't think there is any way the software or algorithms could be similar. Note that I described the algorithm and my testing in one of the videos and maybe someday, if I ever get it working.... I could dump the entire mess onto github! Or maybe will sell the design for $1,000,000,000 to Yamaha.. haha no. Probably $1 is what it's worth.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Tuner for singing?
by ZanderChicago - 06/20/21 11:37 AM
Recent 24” M1 iMac and Pianos
by dhts - 06/20/21 07:55 AM
Digital piano - online vs in store purchase.
by witor - 06/20/21 07:45 AM
help finding best action DP
by luisdent - 06/20/21 02:03 AM
I’m completely lost!
by Mils - 06/19/21 11:33 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,616
Posts3,105,639
Members101,869
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine


© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5