2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 16 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
More than 127 levels internally can be useful. The timer to MIDI level function is not a linear function, then we can have some precision lost depending of the slope.

The higher the MIDI level, the higher the timer resolution will have to be if we want a given relative precision. (If MIDI levels are the logarithm of the time or something related, the relative precision can be the important parameter).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm not sure I have the aptitude to do something like this. I definitely don't have the desire. Bravo for seeing it through. Your hard work and dedication to this project is inspiring.

God Bless,
David

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I wasn’t clear. I use the highest possible internal precision. But I translate that to regular MIDI and don’t see any reason whatsoever to use high-res MIDI.

Originally Posted by Frédéric L
About the video, thanks a lot !!

How do the sensors measure a velocity ? Two sensors per hammer (and an other to switch the note off), or a single sensor which measure multiple values (and we start a timer at an analog value and stop it at an other).

On the top of the sensors, I see 5 weldings. A common (ground), two led emitters and two light sensors ? I am right ? I suppose the timers have to be adjusted to the geometry (it is hard two have two notes with the sensors at the same distance precisely... and even more near the fulcrum of the hammer where the precision matters).

I use CNY70, it’s a 4-connector device (a LED and a phototransistor). The fifth thing is a SMD resistor.

So, I measure multiple values with the same sensor. I set them through trim pots. This may seem like too difficult but it isn’t actually. One point is hammers at the stop rail. I have a software service routine that would turn on the LED when the distance is reached. So I hold the hammer at rail and turn the trimpot until the LED is turned on. I use spacers for the other distances. After that it’s pretty good and will need just a touch up. I’ve already worked out a routine for setting the two points very precisely. It’s a manual labor and needs aural “tuning” (like comparing how bright the sound becomes of two adjacent keys through trills or fast triple repetitions, etc) but heck, that’s how it works and why it’s so cheap smile It certainly needs some skills and getting used to but is IMO much easier than, say, a real aural tuning of an acoustic piano.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/10/20 06:10 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by David B
I'm not sure I have the aptitude to do something like this. I definitely don't have the desire. Bravo for seeing it through. Your hard work and dedication to this project is inspiring.

Indeed, I'm impressed the project was completed at all, especially after acquiring the N1X... that ought to have been the death knell.

Amazing dedication!

Btw, maybe it's just me, but CG's pinky seems to bend the wrong way in that video. At least as a beginner, my teacher always says to keep the fingers curved inwards and fairly stiff, and not be allowed to flex outwards.

Great playing, as usual.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
Btw, maybe it's just me, but CG's pinky seems to bend the wrong way in that video. At least as a beginner, my teacher always says to keep the fingers curved inwards and fairly stiff, and not be allowed to flex outwards.

Great playing, as usual.

Yes, this is an old bad habit. The risks of self-education 😟 My mother in law (a piano teacher) thinks it’s too late to try to fix it now and that attempting it can even affect my playing in a bad way.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/11/20 03:12 AM.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Yes, this is an old bad habit. The risks of self-education 😟 My mother in law (a piano teacher) thinks it’s too late to try to fix it now and that attempting it can even affect my playing in a bad way.

Your playing sounds great, so it doesn't matter.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf

Your playing sounds great, so it doesn't matter.

Thanks, John! 👍🏻

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Good job. Really good job. Whats the price and where do I order? crazy

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

I'd suspect that being a software developer probably pays better than hand building digital pianos to order laugh

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

I'd suspect that being a software developer probably pays better than hand building digital pianos to order laugh

Quite true 😌 Seems like I may just share the designs and the code for free.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Quite true 😌 Seems like I may just share the designs and the code for free.

or you can find a partnership with a brand, for example kawai mass produces the grand actions, and you sell the kits to us with all the instructions on how assemble them.

M
M
Kawai will not want to do this, they have AnyTime technology, if they were interested in selling a controller with real action, they would not need anyone's help. By the way, Petrof used to sell a grand piano action MIDI controller.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
So now, is there anything missing that you want to build in? Soft/sostenuto support? BT Midi for built in page turner? Case and music desk?

Are you going to break out a polyester spraying station or epoxy resin studio?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I have the triple pedal unit from my ES7 (with more realistic hard springs) that I will integrate when I also make a cabinet.

For some reason I’m so exhausted after proving to myself I could do the hardest job, I kind of lost interest in finalizing it (cabinet, etc) and so it might be another two years but at least it’s a perfectly playable piano right now, albeit with only 85 keys and a very soft (but continuous) sustain pedal 😁

It has its quirks though. If I switch off the main supply first (and keep the Teensy, i.e. the main controller that sends MIDI, switched on to the computer through the USB cable and since it’s powered through the USB) it would make a sudden screech of death: it will play all the 85 keys at once with a value of 127 to scare the sh*t out of you 😱

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/11/20 06:07 PM.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Can we agree on the fact that building the ‘Cybrid’ was not an easy/cheap task?
If so, should we re-examine the long-standing belief that Yamaha and Kawai hybrids are ‘overpriced’?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Pete14
Can we agree on the fact that building the ‘Cybrid’ was not an easy/cheap task?
If so, should we re-examine the long-standing belief that Yamaha and Kawai hybrids are ‘overpriced’?

Can't speak to easy, but didn't CyberGene say the action cost $1000 and all of the other parts to make it work cost $50?

Of course, it's not a polished production product and BOM alone doesn't account for the cost/time he put into it, but for someone who really wants an acoustic action, and can source the action, this might be a real cost-effective option if they're willing to get their hands dirty.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
So the belief stands: Yamaha and Kawai hybrids, overpriced! wink

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
For some reason I’m so exhausted after proving to myself I could do the hardest job, I kind of lost interest in finalizing it (cabinet, etc)

Looks like the 80/20 rule is kicking in. Take a little break then make that final push.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Have you heard a piece called Naima by John Coltrane? Well, OK. But I'd bet you don't know CoroNaima 😛

Testing the dynamics of the Cybrid on a rainy day after Bulgarian gov declared a state of emergency with people having to stay at their homes. (Not that I used not to stay at home all the time anyway 🤣)

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Have you heard a piece called Naima by John Coltrane? Well, OK. But I'd bet you don't know CoroNaima 😛

Testing the dynamics of the Cybrid on a rainy day after Bulgarian gov declared a state of emergency with people having to stay at their homes. (Not that I used not to stay at home all the time anyway 🤣)

the sound of those bass notes was really THICK, pro quality.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission