2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wonderful playing CyberGene. I also like the artistic video work.

This is a good case both for the Garritan CFX and the Cybrid piano. It sounds inspiring to play.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pold
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Have you heard a piece called Naima by John Coltrane? Well, OK. But I'd bet you don't know CoroNaima 😛

Testing the dynamics of the Cybrid on a rainy day after Bulgarian gov declared a state of emergency with people having to stay at their homes. (Not that I used not to stay at home all the time anyway 🤣)

the sound of those bass notes was really THICK, pro quality.

Garritan CFX is THICK and SICK! 💪🏻 I spent quite some time calibrating the velocity touch response on a per key basis (through the trimpots) exactly to the CFX (it’s still with the default linear curve) and it’s really even better than what I remember. I think Garritan CFX is an exquisite piano once the touch response is good enough. To people who hasn’t liked it: it’s really worth it to try to improve the touch curves either in the software and/or in the controller.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/15/20 05:08 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Congrats, I never thought you'd finish. Nice playing too, I've been meaning to learn that Scriabin Valse.

I actually think your proximity sensor is just fine. The optical gate thingy Yamaha uses is very regulation sensitive as well, I don't really see the advantage.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by trigalg693
Congrats, I never thought you'd finish. Nice playing too, I've been meaning to learn that Scriabin Valse.

I actually think your proximity sensor is just fine. The optical gate thingy Yamaha uses is very regulation sensitive as well, I don't really see the advantage.

Thanks! TBH, I had no big expectations I’d be able to finish it either 🤣 For some reason I had a boost of energy and desire to finish it in the last month or so. I love that Scriabin Valse, can already play it entirely from memory but still struggle with the middle part and can’t go through it without multiple errors 😕 Besides, it has Bb7 and C8 in the score and I miss these keys...

I used my logic analyzer yesterday to do some measurements. I scan the entire keyboard in 36 microseconds. This is 2 microseconds per group which is made of 1 microsecond delay that I have in order for the pull-up resistors to bring the voltage up and 1 microsecond for the program execution. It’s pretty good IMO. To put things in perspective, the hammer travels for 300 microseconds between my two measuring points when having MIDI velocity of 127; 1300 microseconds for MIDI 64.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/16/20 04:12 AM.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well, I know it's the least interesting thing in the world nowadays and even I started losing interest in my own creation 🤣

Anyway, the last time I wrote I measured the scanning speed through a logic analyzer and it was 36 microseconds. I couldn't live with that because it meant I was losing accuracy at high velocities. More precisely, it meant that if I played a note with a MIDI velocity of 110, it will be measured with anything between 110 and 113 which isn't very cool. Things were a bit better around MIDI velocity of 64 where the error was around 1.

I realized I used the smallest possible programmatic delay of 1 microseconds to wait for the pull-up resistor (because without a delay all was messed up and the controller would act weird with ghost notes being played all over the keyboard). But I actually calculated the RC-delay of the resistors and it was well below 0.1us, so waiting for 1us at every group was a huge waste of time! And so, I just replaced this wait with a single redundant digitalReadFast (that takes around 0.1us) and voila! I almost halved the entire keyboard scanning cycle to 19.5us! This means that the error around MIDI velocity of 110 is now slightly less than 1 which is acceptable and the error around MIDI velocity of 64 is 0.3. Much better! Not sure if I can really feel the difference but my imagination says the Cybrid is now even more responsive! smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/19/20 06:30 AM.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That is nearly a 2x boost in scanning performance!

If you play big chords now, is there much delay among the sound output of the notes by Garritan CFX? Is the USB scheme the biggest bottleneck? I thought there was a lot of forum chatter on USB timing from the competitive gamer community like 5 years ago.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I haven't heard any audible chord note differences. BTW, the Teensy MIDI library supports MIDI stacking, which is to group multiple note ON messages in a single USB MIDI package and I use it. Whether it's understood by Garritan CFX I don't know though. Maybe it splits them in single events and executes them one by one, which is the more probable case anyway since it replays samples underneath. But in any case I don't believe I can hear any problems. Not sure how to test it too, maybe artificially with a code that would send a chord in the grouping manner, record the WAV and then analyze it somehow to see if I can notice separate notes being played in succession rather than simultaneously.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I haven't heard any audible chord note differences.
Playing experience is all that counts. The new Yamaha N1x nearby is a helpful benchmark.
BTW, the Teensy MIDI library supports MIDI stacking, which is to group multiple note ON messages in a single USB MIDI package and I use it. Whether it's understood by Garritan CFX I don't know though. Maybe it splits them in single events and executes them one by one, which is the more probable case anyway since it replays samples underneath.
I don't see much multi-core activity on Garritan CFX with any of my computers, and second core activity was limited and principally from OS and drivers, with the other cores in deep c-states (sleeping). This is supported by the general advice for pro audio engineers at GS forums (single VIs played live benefit from fast CPU speeds but not number of cores. Big multi-track productions can benefit from more cores).
Not sure how to test it too, maybe artificially with a code that would send a chord in the grouping manner, record the WAV and then analyze it somehow to see if I can notice separate notes being played in succession rather than simultaneously.
That is a good idea. You could use a big extruded aluminum bar or one of CyberDaughter's toys to press a lot of keys simultaneously.

Alternatively, I suppose you could inject parallel signals near the sensors and see the results. There are a lot of delicate electronics waiting to be destroyed so take care.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
CG, your Cybrid is being ‘featured’ at the Pianoteq forum (by a member).
I wonder if they know how much you love Pianoteq! grin

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Oh! The humanity!
Originally Posted by Pete14
CG, your Cybrid is being ‘featured’ at the Pianoteq forum (by a member).
I wonder if they know how much you love Pianoteq! grin

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
The irony laugh Well, regardless of my attitude towards Pianoteq, the controller is a good one and is certainly one of the better ones for people who use Pianoteq (or any VST) smile

T
T
Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. Also I enjoyed hearing the Scriabin poem. I played the opus 32 in a recital in my teens and never played them since and I'm now 65.

Thank you for sharing such an amazing creation.

Recorder Player/Singer
Back to playing piano
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The results speak for themselves. Wonderful playing CG

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

I don't why, but whenever I hear this piece, I keep waiting for it to turn into Radiohead...

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
^ Ando, hmm, there's certianly something in common indeed smile I love "Everything in its Right Place" in all possible arrangements, and of course the original which gives me instant comfort, same with the Serenade for the Renegade. Wondering what is the common stuff in these modern pop/jazz tunes that are often interchangeable between artists as varied as Radiohead, Brad Mehldau, E.S.T., etc.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/20/20 12:05 PM.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Fantastic! Given some of the fundamental skills you had to develop along the way, it is impressive even to have it work at all, much less to have such a good result. Well done.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
O
O
Cybergene,

Great project! Sounds great too with the Garritan CFX Samples.
What configuration are you using: Full/Compact > Classic/Contemporary/Player > ?

To what extend does your approach differ from that of Lachnit (MK23) who also works with optical sensors?

You only live once and that's forever.

_________
Kawai MP-11SE, Production Voices 300 Grand, Pianoteq Pro.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
This is the full version of Garritan CFX. Full -> Classic -> default. I reverse the stereo image to performer, enable partial-pedaling and re-pedaling and turn down pedal noises to be as low as possible without being completely turned off. I also use a “fix” on the re-pedaling timing that’s been described here.

I don’t know how Lachnit solution works but it uses a Fatar action, so the feel should be different.

O
O
Thanks for your response.

Is your DIY project now ready to be build by others who would like to get their hands dirty or do you have to finalize and prepare it first?

You only live once and that's forever.

_________
Kawai MP-11SE, Production Voices 300 Grand, Pianoteq Pro.
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission