2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 191 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 190 191
G
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by WalthervonStolzing
Swipe from "SK-EX Concert Grand" to "EX Concert Grand" play a few notes, and then swipe back to "SK-EX Concert Grand" (rendering mode).
This improves sound quality of "SK-EX Concert Grand".
NB! Can anyone confirm this?

I tried this but was unable to hear a difference between the "default" SK-EX Concert Grand and the re-selected SK-EX Concert Grand.

Anyone else?

Kind regards,
James
x

Maybe the CA99 is set to stored preset at startup (with a changed Setup of the SK EK).

So when changing to EX and back: SK EK changes to factory setting "classic" and sound "changes".

So it is with my CA99.

Maybe thats the case.

Galuwen

Ah sorry James was faster :-)

Last edited by Galuwen; 06/12/20 01:45 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Galuwen, yes I believe that's the reason.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Hello everyone.

My issue with rattling noise keeps persisting, and I'm also noticing some crackle noise from the speakers occasionally. I'm also finding that more keys are beginning to sound plastic-y on release.

Unfortunately, these issues are adding up, and for me, I think the result will be to simply get a refund for the piano and perhaps look for another model. I must admit, I had higher hopes for a piano in this price range.

Online Content
Hello Martin,

I'm sorry to read that.

May I ask, what was the outcome of the technician's visit that you referenced in previous post?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
Hi James,

Unfortunately my technician was never able to make it to my apartment due to corona restrictions. So I'm also returning it so that my extended "cancellation" period is not exceeded.

It's unfortunate, but I really, really enjoyed the piano feel and sound, despite the issues I experienced.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I bought a CA79 used and found it to be superb. I just sold it to a friend because I'm buying an NV10. And you did read that right, I found a used one!

Marcus Valdes

T
T
Originally Posted by Martin Kjeld
I have also noticed a plastic-y clicking noise when releasing a specific F-key.

Here's a video where it can be heard. First time is at second 3-4.
Video

That is exactly how it is on my CA 79 ;-(

F
F
My CA99 arrived. Unfortunately no "white glove" treatment as I requested. The freight guy arrived and he was going to leave my 200lb piano in my carport. I was able to get him to horse it inside. According to him, businesses like Alamo sell the piano but once they're done with that, they're done. Anyhow ... negativity aside he got the piano in my house. I gave him a tip. The positive is that it plays beautifully with so much nuance ... and I don't play piano. I've already recorded a few things. I play oboe, oboe d'amore, flute, and cello and have always wanted a piano for my chamber music friends. I can't wait until the Plague passes.

T
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Martin,

I'm sorry to read that.

May I ask, what was the outcome of the technician's visit that you referenced in previous post?

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James from Kawai,

I have been waiting to buy a CA79 but I’m still holding off until these clicking keys and cracking speaker issues are resolved. Have you informed the kawai HQ in japan about this, maybe you are in Japan?

Regardless I am hopeful you can give us some feedback on what will be done to assure quality.
3000 euro for me is really a massive amount of money And i do not want a bad experience.

Many thanks for your support

Last edited by Theinvisibleman; 06/12/20 05:40 PM.
K
K
Flyingblind, you paid Alamo for "white glove" service and did not receive it?

I paid only for standard service, and yes they were going to leave it on my porch (CA79). I tipped the guy and he was more than happy to help me hoist it into my front door, which worked fine for me.

Glad you're liking it so far!

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
P
P
After months of lurking, I have joined this club since my CA79 in Rosewood arrived a few days ago. Many, many thanks to all who contributed to the lively discussion in this thread - it has been a great help.

The CA79 is an absolute delight to play. I took piano lessons for many years as a child, and had a Kawai upright at the time, but it’s since been a good 16 years since I last played. A few months ago (pre covid) I’d originally gone to the shops hoping to narrow down my selection between the Roland FP30 or the Kawai ES110, but found that I was quite unsatisfied with those options. I tried out the CA78 instead and instantly fell in love - the action and sound just felt like “home”.

I do have a question I would like help with - how is one supposed to adjust the pedal bolt exactly? I know from the instructions that you must turn anti clockwise until it meets the surface (carpet in my case). I had the piano assembled elsewhere before it was moved to my home, so when it was set down it was already meeting the carpet very firmly. I can’t adjust it because the full weight of the piano is already on it - am I supposed to lift the piano and then adjust? I’m finding the sustain pedal very, very stiff and difficult to use. Is it overly adjusted? Will I need to turn it clockwise? Will it harm the piano to continue playing this way? Any help appreciated.

K
K
Ryner,

I’ve been having the same issues as you. I’m the one who made the recording in your post… I played the CA 79 and 99 at my dealer and they both had the same sound, although I feel like the white noise on my piano is more noticeable. The sales person I worked with at the dealership said that he couldn’t hear it on any of the pianos in the store. The sound is very apparent to me but basically he said it must just be the way they are. He was not inclined to send a technician out because the pianos in the store are making a similar sound. Just like both of your pianos… I had Alan, the digital product manager from Kawai send the samples that you heard to his engineers in Japan. I still haven’t heard anything from Japan. Alan did spend quite a bit of time chatting with me on the phone about my issues but at this point there’s nothing that they can do. I’m pretty disappointed. I’ve passed my 30 day return window so I’ll be keeping the piano. I still might try again and have my dealer send a technician out to see if there is an anything that they can do. It’s not as noticeable when the volume is very low but anytime you turn it up more than halfway it’s obvious. I love the way the piano feels and the sound would be great if it wasn’t for the noise.

R
R
Dear Forum Members,

Dear Khavens,
Thx for your message!.. and thx for your recording! Link: https://soundcloud.com/user-928966016/2a-1 (starting at second 8, you can hear what I mean)

Me too I asked about it and I compared it even in another store, and I talked to other people, what they are (in some cases not) hearing. I guess one part is that our ears are more sensible to that kind of higher frequency that it gets so noticeable for us but not for everybody else. Everybody’s different. The other part is I guess that there is something about the speakers of the CA79/99 in general (recordings of the rendering played on other speakers are perfectly clean).

I hope that Kawai will release an update in the future with an EQ, so that we can lower that specific spec, which produces that noise through the internal speakers (till now I am even not sure if light noise is the right word for it, some are writing about rattle (lower register) or distortion or resonance). Maybe its about the tweeters or the amplifier, I am not a technician myself.

Anyways.. on headphones or playing at 30% volume (what I do most of the time) I do not notice it, so at the end I can live with it. As WalthervonStolzing mentioned before, yes, turning volume down does make it better but its not solving the issue at the end.

I will have a technician from Kawai coming by because (again) there is another little problem on my new CA79: One key does not have the right touch (e''), as if something was wrong with the weight, in addition the key makes a louder sound when falling back than the other keys. Hopefully that can be fixed without causing more trouble.

Hey guys, problems problems, but in spite of all the complaints it still is a beautiful instrument and I love it. I compared it to an NV10 AND the real Grand SK-EX, guess what? IMHO the action of the CA79 comes closer to the SK-EX then the one of the NV10!! Sounds strange? - check it yourself wink The CA79 is great!

Last edited by Ryner; 06/13/20 07:24 AM.
P
P
I am not sure what I am supposed to hear in that recording.
It seems to me that the recording was made not in a silent room, or the microphone was being moved around. Not from the 8th second but from the very beginning there are (not continuous) sounds as if someone is squeezing paper into a ball or something. I hope those sounds do not come from piano? I suppose I have to hear some other sounds but at the 8th second this scratching paper sound is also present so it prevents me from hearing any other unwelcome sound.
If this scratching sound is the actual problem, then it is impossible to believe anyone could not hear it. And it is also impossible to believe Kawai is selling pianos with such a sound.
Such a sound perhaps could be explained by something getting loose during transportation.
So I assume that sound is from the microphone moved around and touching something while recording. And then at the 13th second there is a loud click too.

Meanwhile, my new CA99 EP is still in the box - from Thursday. As I understand it, I need to unbox it and try it before the 30 day period is over? The timer is ticking smile

Last edited by Parkher; 06/13/20 06:28 PM.
Hello, I’ve been lurking and following this thread for a while. I tested a CA99 last week (along with the NV5, NU1x, and CLP 685), and preferred both the sound and touch of the CA99 (I was incredibly disappointed in the extremely heavy action of the CLP 685, I’ve played on several Yamaha grand pianos, and NONE were that hard to play!). My CA99 is due to be delivered in a couple of days, but I’m becoming rather nervous with all the reports of white noise and rattling from the speakers. I did not notice any of those problems in the show room when I test played it, and my ears are extremely sensitive to such distortion/noise.

M
M
There are many happy owners of CA99s, so instead of being nervous, I'd be looking forward to it, 2PianoCats! In case there's something wrong with your unit, you can still worry then. :-)

As you have tested the NV5 and the NU1X as well, may I ask you how you'd describe their sound and touch (maybe even comparing them to each other as well as to the CA99 you preferred)? That'd be interesting to hear.

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
R
R
As someone who had to return their CA99 because of faults, I would agree with Mickey.

Enjoy your new piano, but be critical of any potential flaws while you can still return it. I would recommend that if you notice something is faulty to return the piano right away rather than waiting for a kawai tech, especially during covid so you don't fall out of your return window. My CA99 had the speaker issues that other users are experiencing (rattling in the left size), a noisy headphone input (would constantly crackle), and at least one dead pixel on the LCD display.

Originally Posted by 2PianoCats
Hello, I’ve been lurking and following this thread for a while. I tested a CA99 last week (along with the NV5, NU1x, and CLP 685), and preferred both the sound and touch of the CA99 (I was incredibly disappointed in the extremely heavy action of the CLP 685, I’ve played on several Yamaha grand pianos, and NONE were that hard to play!). My CA99 is due to be delivered in a couple of days, but I’m becoming rather nervous with all the reports of white noise and rattling from the speakers. I did not notice any of those problems in the show room when I test played it, and my ears are extremely sensitive to such distortion/noise.

Originally Posted by Mickey_
There are many happy owners of CA99s, so instead of being nervous, I'd be looking forward to it, 2PianoCats! In case there's something wrong with your unit, you can still worry then. :-)

As you have tested the NV5 and the NU1X as well, may I ask you how you'd describe their sound and touch (maybe even comparing them to each other as well as to the CA99 you preferred)? That'd be interesting to hear.

Hi Mickey,
I’ve only been teaching myself piano for the past 2 years with no prior experience, so I’m not sure how much my opinion is worth. I quite enjoyed the NV5, but it is sadly out of my price range. I thought it sounded more mellow and rounded compared to the NU1x, and also had quieter key/hammer action. Obviously tone quality is very personal and subjective, and also dependant on the room in which it is played. I’m used to practicing on the various grand pianos at work (opera house) and prefer the grand piano action over that of an upright piano, which is why I was drawn towards the CA99 and CLP685. Due to the pandemic, I realised I needed something better than a cheap keyboard (without weighted keys) to keep progressing.

T
T
Hi everyone,

As it seems that there a lot of happy CA 79/99 owners here (which is great of course ;-)): Do some of the keys of your CA 79/99s also produce random "plastic" click noises on release?

Here's a video where the release clicks can be heard (especially on the C and E keys):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyaxmzgielmmr79/CA-79-clicks.mov

I really would like to know if this is a "common behaviour" or if it only occurs on some units (including mine)...

R
R
Never had that issue with my CA99 when I had it. Sounds pretty noticeable in your video. Inb4 "you never play with the sound off, so it's not a problem!"

Originally Posted by thewueth
Hi everyone,

As it seems that there a lot of happy CA 79/99 owners here (which is great of course ;-)): Do some of the keys of your CA 79/99s also produce random "plastic" click noises on release?

Here's a video where the release clicks can be heard (especially on the C and E keys):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyaxmzgielmmr79/CA-79-clicks.mov

I really would like to know if this is a "common behaviour" or if it only occurs on some units (including mine)...

Page 35 of 191 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission