2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (BravoRomeo, Calavera, beeboss, 13bwl, anotherscott, Boboulus, Baltguy, Burkhard, 19 invisible), 985 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The Vintage D has its fans in this forum, but the other Galaxy instruments are rarely mentioned (Galaxy II Vienna Grand, Steinway, and German Baby Grand).

Are they loved too?

Also, do the Galaxy pianos have the possibility to change the velocity curve?

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

yes, you can adjust velocity curve in velocity editor:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by VladK; 06/12/20 01:53 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VladK

yes, you can adjust velocity curve in velocity editor:

[Linked Image]

Thanks, that is nice to know! I did not see that in any of the Youtube videos I watched, so I had some doubts.

Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have the Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand, but I don't play it much anymore. Always felt it had a supressed sound, but I've been told that's how baby grands sound, in many cases.

The presets show that you can get a variety of different sounds out of it, and I have a feeling it can be made to sound a bit like Galaxy Vintage D.

Can't confirm that though, as I don't have the Vintage D, but I like the Brilliant preset, if I turn down the Tone a little bit.

Despite my opinion the Galaxy II Blüthner Baby Grand sounds a little thin, if I mix it with Concert Grand from Kontakt 5, it gives it more depth in the sound.

All in all, if you're after that Vintage D sound, I would look elsewhere, and I feel the individual Galaxy II pianos are not worth the money, even after the 30% discount, which Best Service occasionally offers.

It's just my opinion, and maybe not many agree with it, but I don't turn to VSTs with just one microphone position anymore. When paying 100 Euros, plus/minus, one should demand at least three microphone perspectives.

Last edited by TheodorN; 06/12/20 05:46 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Galaxy pianos have 2 mic setups; you can easily create a mix by loading two copies of the same instrument (baby grand, for example) to the KONTAKT, and have one instrument set to player listening position, and another - to audience. Steinway also has surround mic set.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, there's that Kontakt velocity curve adjuster thingy. You can bend the curve this way and that.
But if you don't get what you want then you must use a mouse to tweak 128 tiny slider bars.
Try it! Swear at it! Thrown a brick at it!

It's the devil's invention!

So ... instead get the freebie software called "Velocity Curve" for the PC.
It has a velocity editor very much like that found in Pianoteq.
You put down points wherever you wish, and move them around to suit. Simple.
[Linked Image]

You can create and save many different curves to suit different purposes or different instruments.
And then EVERY piano software you own has its own velocity tool.
Originally Posted by VladK
yes, you can adjust velocity curve in velocity editor.
Thanks, that is nice to know! I did not see that in any of the Youtube videos I watched, so I had some doubts.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
@ TheodorN, VladK, and MacMacMac:

Thank you for your insights, and reviews. Much appreciated!

The "Velocity Curve" software seems very interesting to me, since I have a few VI's whose velocity curves can't be changed, and I can't get sound out of them unless I pound on the keys in a manner sober people just don't do. smile

I never really considered the Vintage D, because I have had an overdose of Steinways in my life (through listening to records etc.), but maybe I am about ready to actually go for such an instrument. Otherwise I am mostly inclined in the Bösendorfer direction.

M
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
So ... instead get the freebie software called "Velocity Curve" for the PC.
It has a velocity editor very much like that found in Pianoteq.
You put down points wherever you wish, and move them around to suit. Simple.
[Linked Image]

You can create and save many different curves to suit different purposes or different instruments.
And then EVERY piano software you own has its own velocity tool.

Thank you, Mac, I didn't know about "Velocity Curve" for the PC. It could be very helpful.

Roland FP-30
Komplete 12 Ult; UVI - Falcon; Ivory 2 - ACD, Grand Pianos; Vilabs - ALL; Pianoteq - 7 PRO; Galaxy - Vintage D, Vienna Grand; Production Voices - All Kontakt libs; Lounge Lizard EP-4; Neo-Soul Keys; AcousticSamples - All; Addictive Keys- All
Zoom UAC-2; Beyers DT-880 PRO; JBL - LSR305
I was asking myself how I found this Velocity Curve tool way back when ... so I googled.
I can find it ... but I cannot download it:

The original developer's site is down. . . . http://www.trombettworks.com
This site produces an AV alert . . . . . . . . http://downloads.fyxm.net/MIDI-Velocity-596.html
This site gives no response . . . . . . . . . . http://publisher.brothersoft.com/trombettworks.html
This download link fails. . . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.softwaresea.com/Windows/download-MIDI-Velocity-Curve-Changer-10075553.htm

If you, too, cannot find it I can offer you the original download.

M
M
I succeded download the file from http://downloads.fyxm.net/MIDI-Velocity-596.html by ignoring all security alerts. Then scanned file by Kaspersky Internet Security 20 and fed the file to Kaspersky Application Advisor, Kaspersky Security Network, and Virus Total file scan: The file is clean.

Thanks again, Mac.

Roland FP-30
Komplete 12 Ult; UVI - Falcon; Ivory 2 - ACD, Grand Pianos; Vilabs - ALL; Pianoteq - 7 PRO; Galaxy - Vintage D, Vienna Grand; Production Voices - All Kontakt libs; Lounge Lizard EP-4; Neo-Soul Keys; AcousticSamples - All; Addictive Keys- All
Zoom UAC-2; Beyers DT-880 PRO; JBL - LSR305
You take your chances when going to those sketchy web sites!

The download might be safe (as proven by your AV) ... but your browser was exposed while you were on the site.
And updated browser should protect you ... but there are scoundrels out there, always looking to find ways around the security.
You never know ... so I recoil when I see such a warning.

Funny thing ... I got a warning like that once ... from my employer's internal company web site.
Sometimes that's just an expired certificate, but this time it was something else.
Was it an "inside job"? smile frown

One more thing: I virus-check every download using the AV. But I also send to Virus Total.
They have an online checker that runs around 60 different AV packages at once.
I really like this all-encompassing approach.
You just drag a file into the browser (up to 128 MB) ... or you can get a context-menu click-n-load option.
It's at virustotal.com

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
One could use a 15 Aug 2019 version at archive.org of the website for the free version of "velocity curve 1.2".

No threats were identified on the file by Windows Defender, MalwareBytes or VirusTotal but you should scan that for yourself.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190815192729/http://www.trombettworks.com/velocity.php

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES520 vx FP-90 action
by puremusic - 05/17/22 01:04 PM
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,111
Posts3,192,222
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission