2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (anotherscott, Bostonmoores, Ajax69, An Old Square, accordeur, 21 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 571 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 515 of 530 1 2 513 514 515 516 517 529 530
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I finally have just a little more speed in my fingers. I noticed it this evening, my usual practise time was more cramped for time so it became more of just play a few things.

What I noticed though was I wasn't having to push myself to keep to a tempo close to something acceptable so much. This meant there was little more freedom for rubato, to feel the piece and respond with more control for dynamics. The freedom gained from not being close to you limits just on speed provides flexibility for other aspects of the pieces I played.

I know my improvement won't be monotonic, there will be retrograde steps, and if I tried to record myself, the extra tension that creates would probably have taken away that extra freedom. But what I gained was the knowledge that with the work I've put in I have now shown to myself I can do it. It will happen again in the future and hopefully in years to come become the norm.

It was a joy.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/12/20 03:44 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by casinitaly
So... today is the 10th anniversary of this thread. It has some of the very highest numers for views, and the highest for participation.

I think that's pretty exciting. To me it speaks volumes to how much we need to brag up our baby steps to keep from getting discouraged. It says how much we need to share our happiness in every little bit of progress. And if we look at all the threads about "wow - I can do xzy--- I couldn't do that last month, last week" we also need to share the Ah ha! moments when we realize the tremendous amount of progress we've made over a long period of time.

I don't come here very often any more. I've cut down my on-line time tremendously. But it gives me great pleasure to read this thread and see the determination, enthusiasm and support ..... and joy! - that is the best of Piano World.

My achievement of the week is making some nifty progress on my Chopin Waltz in A-flat, Op. 69. N1 - in much less time than I would have expected.

Thank you casinitaly, this is a wonderful thread and I am glad you were inspired to start it.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Not only is the sharing of successes (no matter how big or small) good for us as a community, but it's good for us, personally, individually, to step away from our usual self-critical nature and to look for and identify something that's changed for the better.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
Well, after a lesson that didn't go as well as I hoped last week, I'm fighting for some perspective. I have a tendency to expect too much too soon, and I feel crushed when I fall short of what I thought I could do.

So, I confess, I've been moping a bit. However, having read Teodor's "I'm proud of myself" thread, and Mr. Super-Hunky's comment that we need more threads like that, I thought "I'm not the only one who needs a reality check every now and then".

....I have made progress and am focusing on that!

What are you pleased with this week?
The second post in the thread is from Teodor, the third from Mr. Super Hunky, and #11 is from Monica K.

My own, first contribution didn't come until two years after the start of the thread.
Originally Posted by Stubbie
This is my first time posting on this thread. It's great to see a multi-multi-paged thread of achievements!

My achievement this week was to get enough speed going on the ragtime piece in the Alfred AIO book 3 to make it actually sound like a rag.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is such a special thread, and I have learned a lot from hearing others describe their successes. Congratulations Casinitaly for starting such a valuable thread!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Happy anniversary. I happen to open this tonight. And I saw this. This thread is a very special spot to me.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JimF
Happy Anniversary Cheryl and all of you AOTWers!

A few thoughts on why this thread has been so successful.......

Eventually you realize that.....making it work, is all on you.

Talking to a friend or spouse about it doesn't usually help much, not unless they play too. And there's no destination, just an endless winding path of small steps. It can be a lonely process, learning piano.

....... the need to connect with others going through similar experiences. So ten years later here we are... there is no victory lap, no declaration of having at last "learned" piano. Just another day of hundreds of little tasks at the bench, a group of fellow travelers doing the same, and the AOTW thread to share and celebrate the experience. And that suits me just fine.

Thank you Cheryl and all contributors for making it work.

Jim

Yes, Jim, you captured my sentiments exactly.

If you read my submissions, they are infrequent, hardly AOTWeek - but I read it often. I find it very strange getting used to this idea of digital social media, typing out thoughts onto an inanimate screen for all those otherwise annoymous Humans to read.

I remind myself this is Piano World and slowly feel I know some of you having followed your comments over the years. The opportunity to actually meet some of you at St Goar was really special. I know that is a rare occurrence and if I am to make more connection then I have to catapult myself into this 21st Centuary and engage in this method of communication more. I grew up in a world when we still learned to write using a pen with a nib and ink in an ink well. We wrote ’letters’ to each other which was itself an art form, and waiting for the Postman was an anticipatory delight.

I play for nobody other than myself and to my ’Coach’.
My hubby doesn't come and listen unless I ask him to, (which I rarely do because I am doubly made nervous by wondering if he really doesn't like piano classics at all -other than Mozart) or if he ’happens in’ during a more relaxed practise session.

When I am struggling with my inadequacies I get responses like ’Dont work so hard, Find something easier, You don't have to do this’. Or how about this one - ’Why don't you play something like The Sound of Music?’
Most of you all must realize I just don't listen.....not that I mind playing more easy listening popular tunes but it isn't what I want to hear after stuggling with the likes of Chopin or Ravel or any of the 3 B’s for that matter.

So a big Thank You to you Piano World Adult Beginners on AOTW thread. It is ’music to my eyes’ reading of all the little triumphs we hope for everytime we sit on that bench trying to play some beautiful music. I admire your courage to even try, and the even greater courage it takes to share your struggles with us here.

Along with your Chopin, add the creation of this thread to your list of many achievements Cheryl. I look forward to the possibility of a trip to Italy once this pandemic has calmed down and a chance to be part of another European Piano Party again.

Stay well everyone.

Marion.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

T
Online Content
T
Just completed another piece on Piano Marvel. Until now I won’t even attempt to access a piece until I can play it at speed with ease.
But now I’ve decided that not only should the pieces be done with ease, they also have to be played with style and finesse.

I gave this piece the full 'Liberace' treatment and it felt and sounded great. smile

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
At last week's lesson we decided that the most recent Puccini, Un Bel Di, was finished, which of course lead to a discussion of what to work on next.

I've been having a blast all year fooling around with classic rock fake books, so working on making up some arrangements on my own was one thought. But I knew what I really needed to work on to improve as a pianist and musician. I knew deep down what it was because I've been avoiding it like the plague for years.... and that is Bach. Yes I have done the AMB pieces, and a few preludes and inventions. But I have avoided anything further, mainly because I find Bach so difficult. Of course, she knows this too.

So, take the blue pill and continue having fun with songs from my teenage years, or more of my favorite romantics and impressionists.... or take the red pill and disappear down the massive Bach rabbit hole of WTC P&Fs, sinfonias, suites, etc.?

And so, that is my AOTW. I am taking the red pill and will start with the opening Aria from Goldberg Variations, which is conveniently short and a good study in ornamentation. Not sure where we go from there, but expect to be working on mostly Bach for quite some time.

Standchen-FScubert/FLiszt arr.
Tristan y Isolde -Wagner(arr.)
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
JimF, good for you for jumping into Bach. Bach is so hard to master, but so awesome once you do wrap your fingers and your brain around it. The English Suites might be worth looking into. The dances within a particular suite can vary quite a bit in difficulty, from easy-ish to hard, so you can pick and choose your way around the collection. Right now my Baroque era pieces are Scarlatti sonatas (sonatinas, really) and they are nothing like Bach. The Scarlatti pieces are nice, but I wouldn't mind getting back to Bach.

My AOTW: had my third online piano lesson. The first lesson was not very satisfying, most of the time being spent working out bugs; the second went better with only a few bugs; the third went okay. I'm still not a big fan, but it's adequate. I'm just happy to get some input from my teacher on my pieces. She's picky about the right things, but always encouraging.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the suggestions, Stubbie. Somewhere along the line I remember being assigned a short easy snippet from one of the Bach suites, and likewise I vaguely recall a short easy something or other from Scarlatti. I will have to dig through old notebooks to see what they were exactly.

Glad your zoom lessons are going better... adequate is a pretty good description of how I felt about online lessons too, on the good days. Meh, on the not so good ones. grin

[Linked Image]
S
SLQ Offline
S
Although I'm still working on level 2 RCM pieces and will soon be getting ready for exams for next January, this week I started level 3 online ear training. The increase in difficulty is noticeable but it's very satisfying and I'm excited about making inroads into the next level.

Roland LX-7
Yamaha P105
RCM Level 3
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Probably it’s easier than real practice regiment, I have been hooked to the book called 60 progressive piano pieces you like to play. I have been using it for sight-reading practice. And guess what. Today’s piece. It was Fur Elise. I did it 40+ years ago. I think I was either 5th or 6th grade. Incredibly I remembered a bunch of stuff. I must have practiced the piece. It was my first real name composer piece ( sorry Mr Burgmuller and Mr. Tzerny). I wore my cousin’s hands me down dress. I somehow hit a wrong chord in the end. I hit C octave instead of A octave. It wasn’t such a bad mistake but I remember crying. Hahaha.

It was not much of sight-reading since I remembered much of the piece. But it was fun. I could execute the middle part now. So I guess I made some progress over zillions of years.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
As I said earlier, I'm not in the forums that much anymore, but I do love reading about weekly achievements.

I agree with Palmpirate that JimF really captured what it's all about here.

As adults we don't have the most realistic expectations about how piano playing is going to go, and it's essential to have people who can help us through the (sometimes brutal) reality checks that hit us pretty hard.

I've been really pleased with a few things lately - these are over the past few weeks...hmm. Now that I think on it --- actually the last 2 months!

1. I was able to sing and play at the same time for the first time. (not well, for either, but it was a first!)

2. I started "faking" for well known pop songs, and just playing chords (so I could sing!) ---again, not briliant work - but a start and
2b -I was playing around with changing keys --- so that I could sing along.

3 have had several online meetings and am getting a lot better and getting through performances. Accidents happen but only once did I truly crash and burn - for the rest I managed to play through errors and not lose my place or panic. This is a super achievement for me.

4. I am looking at older pieces and seeing how quickly they come back as I work to refresh them, and I am also seeing how much easier they are , how fingering that I could not manage before is now easy (in one Schumann piece I had to play part of left hand chord notes with the right hand because I couldn't stretch to reach - now I can!

And the "regular" achievements of making specific progress with study pieces. I see I am making more and more connections to the building blocks that I have been setting down over the past several years. I feel I am really starting to reap some rewards for sticking to it and playing every day.

Online lessons with my teacher are going much better than I could have imagined, and I truly feel that I have been making very focused improvements on technique.

It's a good period - musically speaking.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

It is nice to see all your hard work paying off.

I see I am making more and more connections to the building blocks that I have been setting down over the past several years. I feel I am really starting to reap some rewards for sticking to it and playing every day.

Isn't it funny how that feeling kind of sneaks up on you. Its almost like a revelation when it hits you... like "hey, maybe its not great or perfect, but I really have learned how to play a little."

I started "faking" for well known pop songs, and just playing chords (so I could sing!) ---again, not briliant work - but a start and
2b -I was playing around with changing keys --- so that I could sing along.

It is so much fun! I wouldn't change a thing in the largely classical training my teacher has given me, and I know I should feel most proud of those skills. But I still remember that I originally started piano so I could amuse myself with familiar tunes. Being able to pick an old rock and roll tune from a fake book and give it a go, even using simple block chords, gives me a huge amount of satisfaction. And yes, I admit to singing along at times as long as nobody is listening.

Ciao,

Giacomo

[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I posted this on my Facebook page but I know that I have friends here who don't do that so here's my update.

‘Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp,
Or what's a heaven for?’

Andrea del Sarto
BY ROBERT BROWNING

As quoted by
JEROME LOWENTHAL
Once a student of formidable 20th century pianists Alfred Cortot and William Kapell, Juilliard professor Jerome Lowenthal is a living legend of the piano.

during a Masterclass on Schubert Op 90. Impromptu No.1 in C minor.

My practicing of Ravel came to an abrupt halt mid way through this month. The score has been closed for the past two weeks.
My hands were hurting. The top bit across the knuckles to the wrist. So much so that it bothered me at night. It was not arthritis in the finger or wrist bones and joints, more of an ache in the fleshy part of the hand. The only thing I could think of was the stretching across so many of the progressions in Ravel.
A few days of not playing eased the discomfort physically - but not mentally!
I tried playing a week later and could really identify where the trouble was. I avoided those particular moments and realized a lot had to do with just how I used my hand and fingers. Sure I had been told, and shown how to use wrist, arm and rotation. It perhaps took this hiccups to get it through to me that this has to be applied from the very beginning. At the beginning of learning this piece I was so into the keys trying to learn the notes and where my fingers and hand needed to be that I was stuck there and not really moving or flowing with the music.
As I tried to consciously avoid discomfort while I played through again, it dawned on me that I was doing what is needed - using arm, wrist, and rotations! The stress to my fingers and hand to get through those passages was almost gone!

It is a big realization for me to know that I have to not only learn the notes but also to learn just how to play them.

To only learn this now (in my late 60’s) is probably why I had to go through this. If you progress in a more structured way as a young student then these skills will become second nature early on. I jumped in at the deep end and had to learn the hard way without the gradual ascent to such advanced techniques.
My appreciation for the amazing concert pianists I listen to has grown immensely!

and so I shall gradually get back to practising the Ravel, a little beyond my grasp. and again attempt to reach for heaven.

J
Online Embarrased
J
I've been studying music theory for a month or two now. I took the first 2 terms of Music Theory I in college...but that was, ermmmm...a LONG time ago. I've forgotten much of it.

My first piano teacher (~2 years ago) got me started with the Snell 'Fundamentals of Piano Theory' series, starting with book 5 since I already knew the basics. I got most of the way through it but lost interest until recently. Now I'm just about done with book 8 and 9 & 10 are waiting for me on the shelf. I've also started watching Dr. B's music theory classes on YouTube.

Why didn't I do this sooner?! It's so fascinating. And I love that I'm starting to understand more of what I'm practicing. I'm working on one modern piece for fun that has a series of chords in the middle that I kept flubbing. I took a few minutes last week to see what the chords actually were...oh, they are just ascending minor 7th chords. I don't understand why, but it really seemed like that helped me play that section with fewer mistakes. Same with an ascending & descending arpeggio study. Once I realized what the pattern was, they just seemed to flow a little better.

I've also started analyzing some of my pieces for fun (& practice). And even when I listen to my "regular" music (i.e. pop/rock), I catch myself thinking about how nice that chord progression sounds...I should figure out what it is. There's so much I still don't understand, but I'm really excited to learn more!

JB

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I hav been listening to Agela Hewitt's morning Bach pieces on Face Book and its so lovely and peaceful a way to start the day.
This morning I thought I'd go and play one myself before getting up. I opened up the book to the first one. There was the red star sticker my teacher gave me over 60 years ago - is it so long since I looked at this!!!! What a joy it was to just play through after all this time.
So then I thought since I was in such a good place mentally, to try my Ravel. Last lesson I moaned about my lack of progress. I got reminded all sorts of tips and tricks, most of which i knew already but weren't seeming to help.
Then he said, Keep your eyes up. Yes you will miss but we know it works. Trust the process.
This morning I decided to do just that.
I wowed myself. My fingers knew pretty much where to go, even for some of the leaps. I did miss some, but to my suprise not that many.
Yes, I will trust the process. Yes it does work. I will keep practising with eyes up, and funny how it really showed me where I really got stuck. I was hovering over the leaps and searching with my eyes on the keys when I should let my fingers search and keep my mind focused on the score.
Wonder if I can do it again!

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Marion - that's definitely an achievement. I need to do more of that! Especially with Chopin and Schumann.

I have been listening to Angela Hewett's recordings on FB too --- (we went to the same high school, though I can't imagine she remembes me at all !) - I love that she is playing so many intermediate level pieces for us. I have studied every piece I've heard her play so far, and it is so much fun to be able to really relate to what she is doing. I also just love to hear what she does to make these pieces truly sing - I have been inspired to revisit some of them and bring my level up.

My AOTW this week has been revisiting 2 oldies but goodies, and some good feedback from my teacher.

Last week I had a busy week, I was tired, I did practice but I didn't feel I was getting anywhere with the Beethoven Bagatelle I've been working on (for what feels like ages and ages). I was at the point where I felt stalled out on it, wondering if I'd ever get over the hump to the next stage of fluidity.
What was really encouraging was that he reminded me that it isn't always easy for a student to be objective about progress, and when you are practicing every day you are improving in small steps, and it is hard to step back and see the bigger picture.
He told me that I could and should feel good about the work I had done.

I know that what he said about objectivity and perspective is true - I tell my own students that regularly - funny though, that I am not all that able to apply what I say to what I am doing! Thank goodness for having a teacher!

I'm still doing online lessons and they are working far better than I ever expected. I am also supposed to participate in an online recital at the end of the week. I've never wanted to participate in the school's event because there are never any adults and I didn't want to play in front of all the moms and dads and nonni ! But online? I can do that.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I haven't posted much in this thread but I'm really excited this time. Recently I noticed a jump in my reading ability as I started to read more advanced music but didn't really think much of it until this week I realised I had learned a RCM level 9 piece in just a week! All the notes under the fingers and playing fairly fluently. Just last year I'm sure this thing would have taken me many weeks to learn. The hard work is finally paying off.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I haven't posted much in this thread but I'm really excited this time. Recently I noticed a jump in my reading ability as I started to read more advanced music but didn't really think much of it until this week I realised I had learned a RCM level 9 piece in just a week! All the notes under the fingers and playing fairly fluently. Just last year I'm sure this thing would have taken me many weeks to learn. The hard work is finally paying off.

That is so exciting!
Sometimes it takes a while for us to realize what our improvements are ! Congrats!

[Linked Image]

Page 515 of 530 1 2 513 514 515 516 517 529 530

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,258
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission