2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
87 members (AaronSF, Adem, alexii, 36251, Andrew E., anotherscott, 8ude, 19 invisible), 995 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3005780 07/23/20 05:43 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Given the observed intervals between new versions of Pianoteq being issued, the coming version 7 should arrive at either of these points in time:

• July 2019
  • October 2019
  • November 2020
  • January 2021

The first two dates mentioned will be relatively difficult for Modarrt to make, but the other two are within reach. The average date of the four is April 2020, and the median is the same.

In conclusion, whatever date will be the actual one, Modarrt is progressing slower than they normally do.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There’s also the possibility Pianoteq reached its max potential and any further update is impossible.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
There’s also the possibility Pianoteq reached its max potential and any further update is impossible.

It is of course quite conceivable that Pianoteq has already reached perfection. But it seems to me that there is still a residual difference between Pianoteqs sound and that of acoustic pianos. This would then imply that makers of acoustic pianos need to step up their game to bring the sound of their pianos into agreement with that of Pianoteq. smile

Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm not talking about perfection because it's not perfect. But maybe the modeling approach used in Pianoteq has been implemented in its full potential and no further improvement is possible with this approach and/or with the current computation architectures and personal computers.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not talking about perfection because it's not perfect. But maybe the modeling approach used in Pianoteq has been implemented in its full potential and no further improvement is possible with this approach and/or with the current computation architectures and personal computers.

It may well be that their model has no further parameters to tune. But since it is still not perfect that would mean that their model could be improved, thereby allowing further tuning. Also, the CPU requirements are so far quite low, and there is quite some scope for increasing CPU demands.

I would say that if Modarrt are not working on enhancing their basic model, then they should be ashamed of themselves.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I think Philippe has kind of confirmed their current modeling approach is not the one described in their patent from years ago. If that is to be interpreted literally, it means they have entirely changed the modeling approach in some of their recent major versions. Since Pianoteq sound has reached some saturation, I think their current algorithms/approach has reached its full potential. If another improvement is sought, new algorithm should be implemented, but that's not just something you do regularly. It may not be possible with current computers, etc.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Pianoteq7 is ready to ship, but sadly it is so demanding on CPU resources that current computers cannot handle it. The company is now forced to wait for quantum computers to be released.

So yes, it’ll be at least a decade before we see Pianoteq7.

You guys wanted ‘pure’ modeling (“no approximations”), and Modartt has done just that, but now the paradox is that we can’t play that holy grail even though it is the most playable of all!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My official prognostication says that Pianoteq will not release v7 in time to meet either of your first two dates.
You said that it will be "difficult" to make those dates. But I'm firmly convinced that those dates are impossible.
Call it a hunch. Or inspired insight. smile
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Given the observed intervals between new versions of Pianoteq being issued, the coming version 7 should arrive at either of these points in time:
  • July 2019
  • October 2019
  • November 2020
  • January 2021
The first two dates mentioned will be relatively difficult for Modarrt to make, but the other two are within reach.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
My official prognostication says that Pianoteq will not release v7 in time to meet either of your first two dates.
You said that it will be "difficult" to make those dates. But I'm firmly convinced that those dates are impossible.
Call it a hunch. Or inspired insight. smile

Your hunch might just be spot on, but don't write off time travel completely. smile

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

I thought you worked in software. There is always a need for an update regardless if it actually adds any value. smile

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
It's easy to update piano hardware. You throw in tail fins, cup holders, and then invent some silly acronyms.
Then you just append every feature name with "technology" ... and you've got a new release.

But with software you actually have to do some work. It's hard!
Originally Posted by Peddler100
I thought you worked in software. There is always a need for an update regardless if it actually adds any value. smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peddler100

Yes, this is why from time to time they (we) mess up the software in a FUBAR fashion and customers stop automatic upgrades, etc., etc. There are people still on Windows XP. BTW, I never got what was wrong with XP, it was so good, why would they need to update it. I've been on Mac for quite long now and I still see this desire in Apple to break something that's perfect and needs no updates whatsoever. Apple are the king of f***ng up perfect functionality and replacing it with cr*p frown

Last edited by CyberGene; 07/23/20 08:56 AM.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Right now the buzz word is AI (artificial intelligence). The next version will be call Pianoteq 7 AI. It will include a new neural network modelled acoustic pianos. Don't ask me for a release date, I already said too much.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

K
K
Originally Posted by Serge88
Right now the buzz word is AI (artificial intelligence). The next version will be call Pianoteq 7 AI. It will include a new neural network modelled acoustic pianos. Don't ask me for a release date, I already said too much.

It must be a collaboration with Elon Musk.

Pianoteq 7 AI will mold itself to your preferences and learn your acoustic desires to become whatever piano you want. Pretty advanced stuff!

Previous owner of a Yahama P-120 - now has new life with a student
New owner of a Kawai CA79 (and love it!)
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kimby

Pianoteq 7 AI will mold itself to your preferences and learn your acoustic desires to become whatever piano you want. Pretty advanced stuff!

Maybe it will be able to complete music that you start - possibly even with an override setting which replaces your own playing with the softwares highly precise guess at what you wanted to play. No more badly timed or wrong notes. Only the pure bliss of what Pianoteq thinks you want to hear/play. Mwa ha ha ha!

(It probably won't be Modarrt providing this, but my guess is this sort of technology will come, prevail, and destroy. And all shall love it, and despair).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Considering that Pianoteq 6 sound is still far from perfect, and that they sample real piano sounds to build their models, Modartt still has a lot of headroom for improvement in the core modeling and rendering departments.

The main challenge with such updates is that their already released piano models will not benefit from whatever improvements delivered with P7 until Modartt upgrade these models as well. Which I don't think they will do for free if at all.

Last edited by VladK; 07/23/20 11:47 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kimby

Lol, Pianoteq 7 will be the first VST sent into space laugh

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Lol, Pianoteq 7 will be the first VST sent into space laugh

Yep, Mask will deploy 174 low orbit satellites with free Pianoteq over Internet for everybody to learn how high latency and dropouts make players cry! grin

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
I almost had a revelation yesterday evening. Having fixed my piano problems last weekend I decided to have look through my VSTs, and try one I've not used lately.

So I chose Pianoteq 6 demo. As I recall the only semi-usable piano in the set (I did not say good, I said semi-usable) was the Bechstein, so I fired it up.
And to my amazement it sounded pretty good. It could use a bit of tweaking in the reverb, etc. But overall ... not bad.

So whuzzup with that? Have my ears changed radically?

Then I realized that I had not shut down Kontakt. I was playing the Vintage D alongside of Pianoteq.
So I shut off Kontakt ... and then the Bechstein sounded like the usual Pianoteq disappointment.

To Vlad's point: Yes, it needs improvement.

To CyberGene's point: "... I think their current algorithms/approach has reached its full potential. If another improvement is sought, new algorithm should be implemented ..."
So I'm not anticipating much in Pianoteq 7.

E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Philippe commented on a thread on Pianoworld that version 7 is being worked on as well a iPad version. Which I guess they would have to with Apple going to ARM in the next couple of years.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Is Music Right For You?
by FrankCox - 05/26/22 12:33 PM
Video on avoiding tension at the piano...
by thepianoplayer416 - 05/26/22 11:57 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,250
Posts3,194,691
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission