2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 16 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 47 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 46 47
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Today i got my VPC-1. Looks good so far. The Keybed is a bit mushy but this is not as annoying as the heavy keys of the SL88 Grand i've tested before. The Key Movement is solid and light.

Two things i've noticed:

1. The Damper Pedal seems to have a problem. On lift up it doesn't return immidiately. There is a slight delay.
2. I can't run it via USB only. The light of the on/off switch is flickering and i get a USB device notification every half second in Windows. I will try it later with a different USB port. The SL88 Grand worked without any problems.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
A
A
Originally Posted by Tyr
Today i got my VPC-1. Looks good so far. The Keybed is a bit mushy but this is not as annoying as the heavy keys of the SL88 Grand i've tested before. The Key Movement is solid and light.

Two things i've noticed:

1. The Damper Pedal seems to have a problem. On lift up it doesn't return immidiately. There is a slight delay.
2. I can't run it via USB only. The light of the on/off switch is flickering and i get a USB device notification every half second in Windows. I will try it later with a different USB port. The SL88 Grand worked without any problems.

Just have a look at the VPC Editor. Maybe the pedal has different MIDI CC message on the damper Pedal.

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
A
A
BTW hereĀ“s a list of MIDI CC Messages: https://professionalcomposers.com/midi-cc-list/

On the VPC you can use every pedal with any CC Message.
Most common on piano are:
64 Hold (sustain)
66 Sustenuto Pedal
67 Soft Pedal

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr

Two things i've noticed:

Congratulations on your new VPC1!

The damper pedal should return without hesitation, it maybe an slight misalignment. And my unit, connected to a powered USB hub, works without problem. I also checked it hooked directly to a mainboard USB port, and also worked fine. Are you using a desktop or laptop?. Laptops some times have limitations on maximum USB current. All in all, if you are going to use it at home, you can always use the power supply.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will call the dealer about the pedal. It's not unusable but slightly annoying.

I played around a bit on every VST i have and it's simply fun. The Key Action is very responsive and you know exactly where and why you made a mistake. It's one of the few digital actions i have played where the action doesn't work against you. The default velocity is just good enough to play everything without further tweaking.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyr
I will call the dealer about the pedal. It's not unusable but slightly annoying.

I played around a bit on every VST i have and it's simply fun. The Key Action is very responsive and you know exactly where and why you made a mistake. It's one of the few digital actions i have played where the action doesn't work against you. The default velocity is just good enough to play everything without further tweaking.

As you get used to it you will find some VST could benefit of different velocity curve to exploit all its dinamic range. You don't need to do big changes, just switch the standard ones, by using power button plus top black keys.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends, it's David.
Many many posts ago I shared a video of me playing the first movement of Beethoven's "Spring" sonata with Charles Morey on the violin. Well I'm happy to say that the whole sonata is here for your enjoyment! I used the VPC1 with Ivory American Concert D as the VST. Hope you like it! smile

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Gorgeous, David! THANK YOU for the full video.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@David Lai, I thank and acknowledge you and your friend big time for the private Beethoven concert you treated us to.

In my country we have a weekly TV show dedicated to fine classical, contemporary classical and jazz music, and if it would be anywhere near logistically plausible I'd recommend you to appear on that show in a heartbeat.

I'm also amazed at the profound mental map you must have of where you and your hands are relative to the piano. How beautiful to see that in action.

On a side note, you've also re-kindled my interest in Ivory D, which I almost purchased hadn't it been for the last-minute discovery of Modern U. I just might reconsider it as a secondary virtual piano later this year.

Again, many thanks!

Cheers and happy piano studies,

HZ

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi all! smile

I use my beautiful VPC1 with Pianoteq PRO. I am actually very happy with Pianoteq, but I keep reading in this forum about the beauty of sampled VST's, and I wonder if I would like any of them. Now Pianoteq has two features that are very important to me, so I would like to ask you about this.

* First of all, the automatic recording of everything I play, and how easy it is to play them. It happens all the time during practice sessions that I want to listen to what I just played.
* Second, that this recording is of midi files, that weigh next to nothing and that I can open in musescore.

Do sampled VST's also have these features?

Animisha

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
Hi all! smile

I use my beautiful VPC1 with Pianoteq PRO. I am actually very happy with Pianoteq, but I keep reading in this forum about the beauty of sampled VST's, and I wonder if I would like any of them. Now Pianoteq has two features that are very important to me, so I would like to ask you about this.

* First of all, the automatic recording of everything I play, and how easy it is to play them. It happens all the time during practice sessions that I want to listen to what I just played.
* Second, that this recording is of midi files, that weigh next to nothing and that I can open in musescore.

Animisha

AFAIK not. What I do is to play them inside Cubase. With the retrospective recording, I can get whatever I have played back, if want to.

For sure there will be simpler ways, but in my case is the easiest and standard way for all the VSTs

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano

On a side note, you've also re-kindled my interest in Ivory D, which I almost purchased hadn't it been for the last-minute discovery of Modern U. I just might reconsider it as a secondary virtual piano later this year.

HZ

I have it (as the unofficial VST hoarder master I am eek )

I got it along my used VPC1, so that could be an excuse smile

Wait for an offer and grab it, it would be a good companion to the Modern U thumb

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I could start a thread called "What VSTs are yet unowned by EB5?" and that thread would not last a page.

I didn't know about that auto recording of Pianoteq. It's a valuable tool for people like me who like to keep a log of everything :-)

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

@David Lai, I thank and acknowledge you and your friend big time for the private Beethoven concert you treated us to.

In my country we have a weekly TV show dedicated to fine classical, contemporary classical and jazz music, and if it would be anywhere near logistically plausible I'd recommend you to appear on that show in a heartbeat.

I'm also amazed at the profound mental map you must have of where you and your hands are relative to the piano. How beautiful to see that in action.

Again, many thanks!

Cheers and happy piano studies,

HZ

I have both the American Concert D and the Modern U, and, I agree they are nice companion instruments. Of course the detail presented in Modern U is more convincing I think, especially when playing live.
Glad you liked our performance! Of course I still think piano VST's are a miracle and I feel like I'm playing on a concert grand!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mmathew
I could start a thread called "What VSTs are yet unowned by EB5?" and that thread would not last a page.

I didn't know about that auto recording of Pianoteq. It's a valuable tool for people like me who like to keep a log of everything :-)

Wow, autorecording -- imagine a piano program that always "listens" to you, LOL.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew

Mmathew, once you have it, you don't know how you ever lived without it.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Haha, love your title! Looks like you've played most VST's known to a digital pianist. Good for you, Jose!!!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Animisha
Hi all! smile

Animisha

AFAIK not. What I do is to play them inside Cubase. With the retrospective recording, I can get whatever I have played back, if want to.

For sure there will be simpler ways, but in my case is the easiest and standard way for all the VSTs

Right, except PianoTeq which is all computers and can always "listen" to you, I guess the others you would have to hit record. Personally I prefer that approach as it's not that creepy. I wouldn't want my every false start to be recorded! smile

EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Lai
Haha, love your title! Looks like you've played most VST's known to a digital pianist. Good for you, Jose!!!

And then, while watching the Simeon premiere of Pianoforte by Audio Brewers, they made a giveaway and imagine my surprise when I got it!

@mmathew is just destiny!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Lai
[ I guess the others you would have to hit record. Personally I prefer that approach as it's not that creepy. I wouldn't want my every false start to be recorded! smile

It is just recorded as a midi file, so you cannot hear it unless you play it. wink

Page 23 of 47 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission