2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bach_ingMaddie, Carey, brennbaer, Alex Hutor, bsalad, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 408 guests, and 450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Thelycandraven
Yes, I agree..but as I said, I only have the option to try the clp785:( 1:1 comparison eith Kawai will not be possible in my small country. So I have to rely on specs and on oppinion of other people who actually were able to play both..
Yes, I get the marketing..
So try it.

You might love it. Then buy it and move on. Otherwise it'll give you a base of hands on knowledge of what you do or don't like.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I've read some good things about clp785 action being improved regarding the heavey touch from 600 series...can someone who actually played the clp785 confirm this?
Yes, I've played and measured two separate 785 instruments - the 785 action is lighter and more realistic than the 685 action.

Last edited by Burkey; 01/03/21 10:30 PM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Burkey
I've read some good things about clp785 action being improved regarding the heavey touch from 600 series...can someone who actually played the clp785 confirm this?
Yes, I've played and measured two separate 785 instruments - the 785 action is lighter and more realistic than the 685 action.

Did you play something fast on it, how is it in terms of practice fatigue vs the GF3

T
T
Originally Posted by jeffcat

Did you play something fast on it, how is it in terms of practice fatigue vs the GF3
@ Burkey - I'm also very interested in this!:)
So I got the corona region pass from the store and I will go and try 785 this week hopefully:)
They used to also sell Kawai but now they only sell yamaha unfortunately..
But anyway, I'll try as much as I can from 700 and 600 series and share my thoughts with you guys:)
785 is really expensive especially if you want gloss white one that I really like...the price difference between satin black and gloss white is 700eur!
(PE being 500eur more expensive than the standard black one)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B

I usually try these two:
Flight of the bumblebee (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov)
Prelude (Billy Joel)

So I didn't notice any fatigue from those.

Last edited by Burkey; 01/04/21 10:34 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
T
T

I usually try these two:
Flight of the bumblebee (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov)
Prelude (Billy Joel)

So I didn't notice any fatigue from those.
Perfect!! smile

B
B
@Thelycandraven did you get to try the Yamaha? I'm also hesitant between the Yamaha CLP 785 and Kawai CA99, but due to Covid I can't try either of these instruments (probably won't be able to at least until end of February).

R
R
If you're going to use some VSTs such as PTQ in the future, I definitely recommend CA99.
Modeling sound will allow the soundboard speaker to be more active and realize its potential.
The piano with the soundboard is a real living instrument, not a player or Stereo.
You can sense yourself playing with your fingers, your pedaling foot and your body.

Of course, if you only use the bulit-in sound, the choice between them is only a matter of personal taste and brand preference.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
T
T
Originally Posted by Burduja
@Thelycandraven did you get to try the Yamaha? I'm also hesitant between the Yamaha CLP 785 and Kawai CA99, but due to Covid I can't try either of these instruments (probably won't be able to at least until end of February).
Yes. I tryed CLP785. I was very dissapointed:( I wanted to love it so much, after 1 hour of playing I decided very clearly to leave the shop without a piano and head on a long and and sad way back home. The sound and touch did not meet my expectations coming from acoustic 76' Yamaha UX upright..
Could be due to the fact that I perhaps expected acoustic sound and feel from a digital instrument.
It is not..not even close. Also tryed it with 2 different headphones since I've read a lot of good stuff about binaural sampling. Sorry, but with my 130eur ATH-M50X studio headphones it was so bad that I honestly checked the jack several times to make sure there was not a connection issue..with 250eur Sennheiser phones they own at the shop it was a bit better.
There was absolutely no doubt in my mind about spending near 5k eur on a DP which did not only "not blow me away" but was actually not a good acoustic simulation.
I can not say if it is "good" in the world of DPs and how it compares to others like CA99, I mostly played CLP785 in the shop and very quickly some other ones...
Again, I could have too high expectations and thought I would not even notice a difference between acoustic and CLP785 - this is not the case...there is unfortunately a world of difference.
If you are used to play DPs than perhaps you would like it...but absolutely TRY IT BEFORE BUYING!! I would totally screw myself up if I simply ordered it and realise at home it is not what I expected.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
It would’ve been interesting for you to have compared the 785 against the hybrids (N1X, NU1X, etc), for some perspective. Perhaps their would not have been ‘a world of difference’ between the N1X and your acoustic?

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Pete14
It would’ve been interesting for you to have compared the 785 against the hybrids (N1X, NU1X, etc), for some perspective. Perhaps their would not have been ‘a world of difference’ between the N1X and your acoustic?

FWIW, I own a NV10 and have tried AVantGrand N1 before (not N1X) - there is 'a world of difference' between their sound and a good AP sound.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I can assure you there is ‘a world of difference’ between the N1 and the N1X.

P
P
I recently tried the LX-708, Dexibell H10, GP-510, CA99 and CLP-785 and ended up buying the 785. It's subjective, the point is to try them out and find what suits you best (waited best part of a year to try them). To be fair the CA99 was a very close second and I would have been more than happy to have had this if the 785 didn't exist. The deciding factor was the action, in that I felt a better connection with the piano. The 99 felt a bit too light, but that's just me and what suits me. Other than that there was very little to separate them. The sound on the 99 is great with the soundboard. However most of my playing is through headphones and I felt this experience was better on the 785

L
L
I have spent some time trying the whole CLP-700 series and CA59, 79 and 99.
In my opinion, the best ones are CLP 745, CLP 785, CA 79 and CA 99. I have to say I like all of them. At the end I bought CLP785 simply because it is the fastest delivery. Kawai seems to have a huge delay in production.

Below some thoughts on these four models.
I find CLP 785 indeed has the heaviest key action. But many discussions seem to overlook the fact that one could tune the key action via the Piano Room function. I still find the default key action "medium" a bit too stiff, but I find the action improved a lot after changing it to "soft 1" mode. The CA79 and CA99 are very close to the Steinway and Yamaha grand pianos I have played. I really love them, but I could not bear the undefined delivery date. I find CLP 745 has similar key action to CA79&99, despite the "plastic" feeling. The downside, in my opinion, is the speaker. The audio from CLP 745 simply cannot compete with CLP785/CA79/CA99 when you play it without headphones.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by lazyyyzz
I find CLP 745 has similar key action to CA79&99

Is 745 heavier or lighter.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The Clavinovas are heavy. The Avant Grands are not.
The CA series pianos seemed heavier that a proper grand piano, but lighter than the Clavs.

L
L
Originally Posted by EinLudov
I find CLP 745 has similar key action to CA79&99

Is 745 heavier or lighter.

I did not go into detailed comparison, I just find them very similar and lighter than CLP 785.

This is how I ranked some of the pianos I tried:

CA59 <<< CLP745 / CA79 / CA99 < CLP 785 << CLP 775

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
The Clavinovas are heavy. The Avant Grands are not.
The CA series pianos seemed heavier that a proper grand piano, but lighter than the Clavs.

I find the latest are somewhat lighter than the previous ^00 series, Mac. The 725 through to 745 were very good; the 785 also was not heavy but had a little more inertia to it. Compared to the baby grand next to them, they were lighter. I wouldn't like them any lighter than they are now. Try 'em without switching stuff on. It's the best way.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
C
C
I
I find CLP 785 indeed has the heaviest key action. But many discussions seem to overlook the fact that one could tune the key action via the Piano Room function. I still find the default key action "medium" a bit too stiff, but I find the action improved a lot after changing it to "soft 1" mode.

I've made exactly the same experience with my 785. In general some of the default settings of the CLPs are pretty bad. I even changed the action to "soft 2" and decreased ta little bit the reverb value as playing pp gets more difficult compared to the heavier settings. I think soft 1 and soft 2 are the usable settings. When testing these action settings every change requires some time to get used to it.

M
M
I can help, We returned CA-99 and traded up to NV-5 and returned that.

The soundboard transducer implementation is flawed and produces a terrible buzz and/or distortion.

The whole reason we wanted the piano is the reason it had to be returned. Sure they can tune that out with firmware updates but it kills the tone.

They fix it incrementally each firmware patch trying to balance soundboard buzz against a dead sounding piano. Was it supply chain problems with certain components so that it only occurs in some pianos? That's my theory.

YOU NEED TO PASS ON THIS GENERATION KAWAI DP.

If you just absolutely MUST have this piano have a friend put their ear down by the soundboard near the lower register transducer and play single notes and simple chords in the second to the lowest octaves before you take it home. You are listening for a buzz that changes when you place your hand on the soundboard in the same area.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP8 MIDI Latency
by Steve_B - 06/24/21 02:15 PM
Clavinova CLP100 no sound on left
by Tony Arnold - 06/24/21 10:33 AM
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,681
Posts3,106,862
Members101,896
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission