2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (Abdol, brdwyguy, Blague, chaplincap, c++, Calavera, BlakeOR, 8 invisible), 379 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
sam777 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello!

I ask for your help in choosing CLP 785 and CA99.
I read on the forum that the owners of KAWAI CA99 have many problems with their DP. For example white noise. Before I read about the problems, I had a great desire to buy exactly CA99.
As far as I understand, instead of a wooden deck, the Yamaha uses a vibro-speaker.
Sound and keyboard are very important to me. As well as reliability and durability. I don’t want to be disappointed because I want to buy for many years.

D
Online Content
D
Hi Sam,

Have you played both pianos?

I went to the store buy a CLP785GP because I wanted a grand piano body and ended up buying a Kawai. I experienced sharp pain in my hands after just 2 songs on the 785. I have never had pain in all the years of playing acoustics or digitals and haven't felt any pain since.
There isn't any other way to know which action/sound you're going to like, love, hate, you have to use your own hands and ears.

S
sam777 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by djvu10
Hi Sam,

Have you played both pianos?

I went to the store buy a CLP785GP because I wanted a grand piano body and ended up buying a Kawai. I experienced sharp pain in my hands after just 2 songs on the 785. I have never had pain in all the years of playing acoustics or digitals and haven't felt any pain since.
There isn't any other way to know which action/sound you're going to like, love, hate, you have to use your own hands and ears.
Do your hands hurt because the 785's keyboard is heavier than the kawai's?
I don't have any shops nearby to try at least one model. But I don't like heavy keyboard. Who has a better sound? 785 or 99?

D
Online Content
D
I often perform on a 9' Steinway and I tend to like grand piano actions. The 785 is not the heaviest action I've played, it just felt heavy in the most unrealistic way. There have been quite a few discussions in this forum about that particular action.

If you're interested in one of those 2 digital pianos, is there any chance you can move up to a hybrid? If the action is very important to you, a hybrid may be the only option

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Are you referring to the 685 rather than the 785?

Supposedly the ‘heaviness’ aspect has been lightened up a bit for the 785. Also, the 785 no longer resists, initially!

D
Online Content
D
I think you're right smile

O
O
I think that you referring to 695gp...

I would wait some reviews to decide between Ca99 and 785..

M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
My ca99 keeps giving me issues, initially a heavy key, which was fixed, now i have a few sqeeking keys even after technician came out and fixed it... No way on earth I'm keeping it now and won't buy kawai ever again, at least not digital piano wise... I'm getting 785, i honestly can't reccomend the ca99, if you want reliability my vote is yamaha, never had major issues with their clavinovas and I've owned many different models over the years.

All these people complaining about issues with their ca79/ca99 are factual evidence kawai's quality control is poor. I've lost confidence in them now, and I'm a first time buyer of a kawai product.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
My ca99 keeps giving me issues, initially a heavy key, which was fixed, now i have a few sqeeking keys even after technician came out and fixed it... No way on earth I'm keeping it now and won't buy kawai ever again, at least not digital piano wise... I'm getting 785, i honestly can't reccomend the ca99, if you want reliability my vote is yamaha, never had major issues with their clavinovas and I've owned many different models over the years.

All these people complaining about issues with their ca79/ca99 are factual evidence kawai's quality control is poor. I've lost confidence in them now, and I'm a first time buyer of a kawai product.

smile Wow, what a contrast to this:
Originally Posted by mwf
My god the new clp 700 series looks set to flop big time, imo clavinova have only declined in quality over the years, peaking at the clp 380 which I owned, great piano and speaker system. I would only consider kawai key beds now, much lighter and realistic and easier to play like a concert grand is. Yamaha are overly heavy with all their keyboards. Their press releases and new instrument reveals and media are a joke now, no one is surprised or slightly amazed by anything new they bring out. I dont even consider them competition to the other brands anymore, they are a joke, trash company with garbage instruments.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
You can find their keyboard action or sound unsuitable for your taste but one thing you can never fault Yamaha for is the quality of their products smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X
I’ve not tried the Yamaha 785, but when I went to a piano store to buy a digital piano, I tried the 685. My general opinion of Yamaha, especially their digital pianos, is that the keys are very heavy. I tried various dp and decided on the CA99 as it was in my price range, had a good action, and sounded better to my ears than the Yamaha (which was too bright for my taste). My ca99 was delivered by professional piano movers, and I’ve not experienced any of the problems other forum members have mentioned. I managed to re-create a loud buzz on the lower notes (C1,D1), but only because I had my tv on, which is plugged into the same 3way plug. I believe it’s also mentioned in the user guide to keep other electronic items, such as a tv, a good distance away, and preferably on a different power source.

K
K
I hada a Yamaha CVP for years and my only complaint was that it key action was initially good for the day but kept wearing out so over the years spent a lot of time replacing these very fragile bits. It made me play too heavy and aggressively. I now own CA 79 and it is a breath of fresh air and by far the best both in sound and play-ability. You will only every hear on here the bits that are not right/faults and rarely that most have no issues. The buzzing most speak of is mainly down to earthing issues within their supply and not the instrument. Google earth loop. Best of luck with your choice. smile

No good but carry on regardless
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by 9190
Originally Posted by mwf

smile Wow, what a contrast to this:
Originally Posted by mwf
My god the new clp 700 series looks set to flop big time, imo clavinova have only declined in quality over the years, peaking at the clp 380 which I owned, great piano and speaker system. I would only consider kawai key beds now, much lighter and realistic and easier to play like a concert grand is. Yamaha are overly heavy with all their keyboards. Their press releases and new instrument reveals and media are a joke now, no one is surprised or slightly amazed by anything new they bring out. I dont even consider them competition to the other brands anymore, they are a joke, trash company with garbage instruments.

Yikes! Busted. smile

People can change their minds, but this shows that it's probably not a good idea to be so categorical like mwf was.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes i dont mention reliability of yamaha being poor in your highlighted parts though do I David... How sad you felt it necessary using your time to search out my comments from other posts, wow! You have that much time spare trying to make others look bad on a piano forum to make you look cool and clever, well done!

S
sam777 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
After reading a lot of messages on the forum, I came to the conclusion that the CLP 745 would be a good choice. Am I right? I would hate to run into problems in Kawai (e.g. white noise) or very heavy keys in the CLP 785

O
O
We have to seen reviews for all clavinova to confirm but I think that all the 700 series had substancial changes on the action..
More light
More responsive
Less static weight

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello mwf,

Originally Posted by mwf
My ca99 keeps giving me issues, initially a heavy key, which was fixed, now i have a few sqeeking keys even after technician came out and fixed it... No way on earth I'm keeping it now.

Sorry to hear that. I expect some squeaking keys could easily be fixed by a technician if the sound became too obnoxious.
But oh well, it sounds like your mind is already made up.

Best of luck with your next piano.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
I have had my CA79 since 30 of june and it is in use at least a couple of hours every day. There is no rattle, hiss or strange sounds in any way. Just wanted to say this.

M
M
Originally Posted by Michael Kawai CA79
I have had my CA79 since 30 of june and it is in use at least a couple of hours every day. There is no rattle, hiss or strange sounds in any way. Just wanted to say this.

I'm glad to hear – especially considering you'd have to change your forum name otherwise. :-)

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
M
M
Originally Posted by Mickey_
I'm glad to hear – especially considering you'd have to change your forum name otherwise. :-)

Yes, and that would be very strange. "Michael Wersi" or "Michael Roland" does not sound that good. 😎

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Clavinova CLP100 no sound on left
by Tony Arnold - 06/24/21 10:33 AM
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,679
Posts3,106,848
Members101,893
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission