2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (AprilE, AWilley, Abdol, Beansparrow, An Old Square, accordeur, Bostonmoores, 36251, anotherscott, 6 invisible), 1,195 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 518 of 530 1 2 516 517 518 519 520 529 530
B
B
3:2, but having trouble getting 4:3.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
My playing without looking at my hands has taken a giant leap this week.

It’s not something that I make a conscious effort to do. If my hands need to change position, I’d rather take a quick glance and hit the right notes rather than leaving it to chance but on a piece that I’m working on at the moment, my hands have literally said to my eyes that they don’t need them anymore and have taken over control.

Admittedly, it’s only a jump of 2 keys in the same direction for both hands but so far they’ve been 100% successful so I’m happy to leave them to it. There’s another part further on where they need to move outwards in opposite directions to different extents and they’re slowly taking control of that too.

I think I’ll stick with this piece for a while to see how far my hands will go.

I need to have more belief in what my body is capable of but a part of me just cannot comprehend it. I have to keep reminding myself that Stevie Wonder has been doing this all of his life.

Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by treefrog
My playing without looking at my hands has taken a giant leap this week.

It’s not something that I make a conscious effort to do. If my hands need to change position, I’d rather take a quick glance and hit the right notes rather than leaving it to chance but on a piece that I’m working on at the moment, my hands have literally said to my eyes that they don’t need them anymore and have taken over control.

Admittedly, it’s only a jump of 2 keys in the same direction for both hands but so far they’ve been 100% successful so I’m happy to leave them to it. There’s another part further on where they need to move outwards in opposite directions to different extents and they’re slowly taking control of that too.

I think I’ll stick with this piece for a while to see how far my hands will go.

I need to have more belief in what my body is capable of but a part of me just cannot comprehend it. I have to keep reminding myself that Stevie Wonder has been doing this all of his life.

Nice work! I think a lot of times we forget to really appreciate the progress.

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Sebs
You should be proud! But pay attention to your last paragraph ‘ I need to have more belief in what my body is capable of’.... YES! Trust yourself 😺

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
Sebs
You should be proud! But pay attention to your last paragraph ‘ I need to have more belief in what my body is capable of’.... YES! Trust yourself 😺
I think that was meant for @treefrog. But I can relate and agree with you on this smile

At first I thought you were telling me to read what I said. I was thinking what did I do?, I was I was saying nice work. I was thrown off for a moment hahah.

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sebs
Sebs
I think that was meant for @treefrog. But I can relate and agree with you on this smile

At first I thought you were telling me to read what I said. I was thinking what did I do?, I was I was saying nice work. I was thrown off for a moment hahah.

Sorry to both you and TreeFrog 🙄

TreeFrog, congrats! An important milestone

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Sebs

No worries at all. I just wanted to make sure my comment wasn't being misinterpreted that's all. As I was just saying it's easy for us to not appreciate the wins! On a side note I will add that my achievements are still improving my sight reading a lot each week. How about you @dogperson? Be curious to know what the wins are for advanced pianists too.

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Sebs

No worries at all. I just wanted to make sure my comment wasn't being misinterpreted that's all. As I was just saying it's easy for us to not appreciate the wins! On a side note I will add that my achievements are still improving my sight reading a lot each week. How about you @dogperson? Be curious to know what the wins are for advanced pianists too.

Right now, just slugging through. I have mentioned it frequently, But I mark every problem on the scores with removable plastic transparent flags. So my achievement is when there is no longer a problem and I can remove the flag. It feels great but it’s an ongoing process of flag on, flag off 😊 and sometimes ‘flag back on’ or ‘new flag’. I’d like it because I don’t need to keep notes during my lessons or practice and it gives me a lot of satisfaction to see the flags disappear.

Last edited by dogperson; 08/17/20 10:23 AM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Right now, just slugging through. I have mentioned it frequently, But I mark every problem on the scores with removable plastic transparent flags. So my achievement is when there is no longer a problem and I can remove the flag. It feels great but it’s an ongoing process of flag on, flag off 😊 and sometimes ‘flag back on’ or ‘new flag’. I’d like it because I don’t need to keep notes during my lessons or practice and it gives me a lot of satisfaction to see the flags disappear.

I like that approach I may try that as I know there's some satisfaction in "removing" it versus just saying I'll work on it and I think that's good enough.

J
Online Embarrased
J
I have mentioned it frequently, But I mark every problem on the scores with removable plastic transparent flags.

And thank you for that! I finally got some of those flags I started putting them to good use last week. I often assume I'll remember my trouble spots the next time I work on a piece, but I have a bad habit of just starting at the beginning. Then I hit "that spot" and remember...oh yeah, I was going to start with that. The flags are great.

Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member

I like that approach I may try that as I know there's some satisfaction in "removing" it versus just saying I'll work on it and I think that's good enough.

On Amazon, I bought Lysas neon page markers’
These are thin and transparent but are reusable

Last edited by dogperson; 08/17/20 01:23 PM.

A
A
Worked on Marines Hymn in PM (3C), jumped on over to Alfred’s All-in-One #1–both in G, a few changes, faster...I may have to rest the wrist, but...yeah!!

I am relearning Alfred songs to the point of Cafe Vienna & Lullaby...really want to skip these & come back, but...ack..

Korg SP-170
Czerny Op. 599 to get my fingers moving again...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ah, memories of my old Alfred days. laugh Keep it up Amy!

Goldberg Variation #7 is under my fingers... working on some phrasing, left hand voicing and cleaner faster ornaments. It feels like you can work on improving Bach forever and not run out of little things to polish.

Cheers,

Jim

Standchen-FScubert/FLiszt arr.
Tristan y Isolde -Wagner(arr.)
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
I was working on the second moment of a Sonatina and 3 measures were giving me a lot of trouble getting the right fingering and notes correct. They were mostly triplets. I started practicing it with the goal of playing it 3 times in a row correctly before I could move on. If I messed up, I had to start over until I got 3 times in a row correct. I did this but then the next day and the day after I had to repeat the process again. This isn't working as well as I thought it should. So I looked at the 3 notes in the triplet and figured out what chord each triplet was and wrote the chord name down in my score. Then I played them as chords several times and it clicked. I played it correctly and did the next day too! Every time I got to that section I would think this is the hard part. Now I don't think that and I wrote in my score at that section "Easy" and underlined it. smile

Pat, short for Patricia
Kawai KG-1 5’5” baby grand
Started piano lessons in my retirement, January 2018
W
WTM Offline
W
Does anyone else get the feeling that they're progressing ok, but then realise there's a certain skill that you feel as though you should be a lot better at and beat yourself up over?

For me it's sight reading. And I know I shouldn't do it, but it's hard not to, I compare myself to my teacher and a friend. They're both exceptional sight readers. My teacher said as a child whenever she got given a music book as a child, she'd just play through the first page of every piece just to see what they were like. And that doing that over the course of her life gave her the skill she has today. My friend on the other hand, was forced to take piano lessons as a child, as such he wasn't that passionate about it. He attributes his sight reading skill to being a bad student! He said he rarely practiced very much throughout the week, so when he got to the lesson he'd have to sight read the piece very well or his teacher (and his parents) would get upset with him. Fear motivated him! Not that I'm condoning that as a valid way to improve your sight reading smile. Part of me wishes I was forced to play as a child, but then I see my friend is nowhere near as enthusiastic or passionate about piano as me. I chose to learn it.

It's just something I wish I was better at. I'm just quick to memorise things and so I become reliant on it. It's not a bad trait to have I suppose. Although I have made a conscious effort now to keep my eyes on the score and not on my fingers now. And since doing that my sight reading has improved. I guess I just have to be a bit more patient!

As for achievement of the week:
Teacher is getting very happy with my Rachmaninoff Prelude
Going to start some less monumental pieces this week: Pathetique 2nd movement + Mozart Fantasy in D minor K397

Last edited by WTM; 09/07/20 04:08 AM.

Bechstein A114
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
WTM, being patient with ourselves is one of the hardest things we have to do as adult learners. Not only for piano!

Sight reading takes a lot of practice. There are a lot of books available for developjng this skill, and it is certainly one worth having. Working at a level or two below what you can do when studying is a good strategy.

My AOTW is (are) working out a left hand accompaniment for the first time. I have been able to do block chords, but this is the first time I have managed to do something interesting.
Started back to lessons last week and as I worked on a lot of hard pieces over the past year have agreed to work on taking previously learned pieces and bring them up to a higher polish. I made some good progress on the runs in a Chopin nocturne

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WTM
Does anyone else get the feeling that they're progressing ok, but then realise there's a certain skill that you feel as though you should be a lot better at and beat yourself up over?

For me it's sight reading. [...] It's just something I wish I was better at. I'm just quick to memorise things and so I become reliant on it. It's not a bad trait to have I suppose. Although I have made a conscious effort now to keep my eyes on the score and not on my fingers now. And since doing that my sight reading has improved. I guess I just have to be a bit more patient!

You can compare yourself with me instead. I am neither good at memorising nor at sightreading. cool But I am fine anyway, because what I want is to learn to play as expressively and beautifully as I can, and for that, I neither need to memorise (at least not without the occasional glance at the score) nor to sightread.
If I may give you some advice though - you know, from one who cannot sightread to the other who cannot sightread wink - you may want to reconsider practising your sightreading when working on your pieces. Instead, start collecting a pile of scores, well below your present level, and spend some time every day sightreading a piece. Next day, next piece. An example of material you can use is Schäfer's book with sight reading exercises, that you can download for free from imslp.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
W
WTM Offline
W
Thanks for the words of encouragement both of you.

I do have a book of easy pieces and a book of bach chorales which I do just randomly play from time to time. But it just feels like I'm wading through treacle sometimes. Patience! laugh

Bechstein A114
Enjoying piano since May 2018
My Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
More Peas and Carrots......

That's what I call Bach. As in "eat your peas and carrots so you grow up strong and healthy."

I could continue improving Goldberg Variation #7 - the ornaments can get better and there are endless subtle ways to alter the emphasis of one voice or another - but moving on feels right after playing it decently at this weeks lesson. It really did come together fast in the last two weeks.

And I'm starting to enjoy my peas and carrots! (Not that I ever disliked Bach, just that I always found it difficult).

Up next.... she helped me pick out an "easier" Fugue from WTC, so today I embark on my first 3-voice Bach. (Both Aria and Var 7 from Goldbergs are 2-voice) To say I'm intimidated would be putting it mildly. But I do enjoy the challenge.

Standchen-FScubert/FLiszt arr.
Tristan y Isolde -Wagner(arr.)
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I missed out on submitting to the August ABF Quarterly recital. I had even recorded my piece, but failed to submit as we were heading away on a trip and I just didn't get this done amid the flurry of prep. I was a bit disappointed to miss out, but the recording only barely passed my "just good enough to submit" bar and I love the piece, so I was happy to keep on working on it.
Yesterday I had a moment of stepping back and taking stock and realising just how much better it is now, Of course there are still loads of things I'd like to do better, but I felt really pleased to appreciate the progress. Maybe I'll be halfway satisfied with it by the November ABF smile

[Linked Image]
Page 518 of 530 1 2 516 517 518 519 520 529 530

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
*NEW* The Strolling LH Bassline
by Dfrankjazz - 12/01/21 10:54 PM
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,341
Posts3,150,101
Members103,489
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission