2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Hi everyone,
Although I am the second most prolific PW poster I have never posted on or read the digital forum! I have a 15 year old Mason & Hamlin BB and have not considered buying a non acoustic piano until now. I am hoping that those of you more familiar with these two models(which is almost everyone reading this post) can compare and contrast the touch and tone of these two models for me. For the Avantgrand I would only be considering the ones that come in a vertical type case, i.e. not what I think is called the N3.

My motivation for considering a hybrid is to be able to play silently and listen through headphones or to be able to play very softly. Besides the touch and tone, if you consider other things to be pros or cons please feel free to mention them. But I am not generally interested in(or even probably able to understand) the very technical information or details about the bells and whistles of each model which I assume are important to at least some of you.

Thanks for your help.
I note you also raised another thread to discuss acoustic muting rail and silent systems. I did not see much feedback on this, examples being the latest Yamaha Transacoustic systems or Kawai ATX/Aures. If you still have the desire to hear the encompassing string, soundboard and cabinet resonance etc, and your circumstances permit occasional playing without headphones, these may be worth looking into as well.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
If I may, CG, this might also come in handy for what some pianists call ‘halo notes’:

A ‘technique’ where the pianist is able to land -only so much- on certain keys/notes without triggering any sound or simply triggering a soft “halo” sound.

This helps in very dense and jumpy (all over the place) passages where the pianist can use these halo notes as ‘anchors’ or place-holders for the actual notes he or she wants to hear, or, as said above, for a specific yet abstract halo effect.

Novus NV10
H
H
chiming in here as a newish owner of the NV10: key length has been debated ad nauseum on these forums. i can't imagine any key length shorter than the NV10. when practicing Gaspard and some of the other romantic powerhouses, my hands are bumping up against the fallboard on occasion. it's super annoying smile

Last edited by Heddy; 10/28/20 01:39 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Heddy
chiming in here as a newish owner of the NV10: key length has been debated ad nauseum on these forums. i can't imagine any key length shorter than the NV10. when practicing Gaspard and some of the other romantic powerhouses, my hands are brushing against the fallboard on occasion. it's super annoying smile
It’s not about the visible part of the keys smile You will brush your fingers on every piano, acoustic or digital because they will have the same visible length. It’s about the key length *behind* the fallboard to the fulcrum. The longer it is, the less difference it will make where you press the key across its visible length.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
chiming in here as a newish owner of the NV10: key length has been debated ad nauseum on these forums. i can't imagine any key length shorter than the NV10. when practicing Gaspard and some of the other romantic powerhouses, my hands are brushing against the fallboard on occasion. it's super annoying smile
It’s not about the visible part of the keys smile You will brush your fingers on every piano, acoustic or digital because they will have the same visible length. It’s about the key length *behind* the fallboard to the fulcrum. The longer it is, the less difference it will make where you press the key across its visible length.

I think he/she might be kidding around. Unless he/she really thought key length had to do with the visible part of the keys. Kind of hard to believe (especially if someone has been following the "ad nauseam" threads on the subject), but possible.

God bless,
David

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, yes, I also thought it was a fun comment but I re-read it a few times and it seems like it may be serious.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
H
H
Well, yes, I also thought it was a fun comment but I re-read it a few times and it seems like it may be serious.
not kidding! i never remember encountering the fallboard when i used to play all day on acoustics. but if the visible key lengths are all the same on digital and acoustic grands then <shrug> disregard smile was not referring to the pivot lengths, which i don't really notice when practicing

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
We've gone off topic rather quickly! But visible key length IS something to keep in mind for acoustics. I think all new pianos are now "standard length" and standard width, with the only real variability being black key width, but for buyers of used and rebuilt pianos, there have been some with shorter keys (I think mainly vintage American pianos like older Baldwins). That's of course neither here nor there for OP as it applies to neither AG nor NV smile

When I was reading Heddy's comment, I thought the same as CG (that he was talking about the visible key length), but it could be interpreted either way.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
not kidding! i never remember encountering the fallboard when i used to play all day on acoustics. but if the visible key lengths are all the same on digital and acoustic grands then <shrug> disregard smile was not referring to the pivot lengths, which i don't really notice when practicing

Just curious, but is it possible that your fingers got longer since switching from ‘acoustics’; hence the excess brushing up against the fallboard?

I sure wish my fingers grew a little longer; I’ve been feeding them vitamins and all other sorts of supplements, but last I checked, they’ve actually gotten shorter!

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I sure wish my fingers grew a little longer; I’ve been feeding them vitamins and all other sorts of supplements, but last I checked, they’ve actually gotten shorter!

Really not something you want to advertise Pete grin

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Pete14
Wait, is that supposed to be natural? shocked

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
When has Pete been normal I mean natural LOL

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
So far I've only see one forum member (Alexander Acosta) complaining about NV10 not having "adaptive release sample" in the N1X thread, and it was actually the deciding factor of him choosing the N1X (https://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthr...avantgrand-n1x-hands-on.html#Post3019412).

I asked him what kinds of repertoire he is constantly practicing. It turns out that he plays quite advanced classical repertoires like Chopin Ballade and Rach Prelude.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EPW
When has Pete been normal I mean natural LOL
blush

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
To quote his words about NV10:

The keyboard is amazing, better than the N1X, but It isn't capable of performing crispy staccatos.

I tried it all when trying both the N1X and the Novus. From Chopin Ballade op 23, to Rachmaninov Op 23 No 5, Some Chopin Nocturnes then when for random things like trills, octaves, staccatos. Repeated notes going from PPP to FFF and vice-versa, heavy harmonics, loud notes, dissonances, etc.

I think the Staccatos thing is because of the lack of key off. I found that it sounded as if the dampers took to much time to silence the strings after I had lift my fingers from the keys. I'm guessing that Playing "Pantalón et Colombie" from Carnaval Op 9 would sound rather bizarre.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
So what you are telling me, I will never notice the NV10 not having the release samples.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hoping this thread will get back on topic since I need a lot of help. I will eventually be able to check out the Avantgrand models at the NYC(where I live)dealership, although not very soon because of the virus. Does anyone know of any dealers that have the Kawai Novus is the NYC area, Manhattan being my first choice? Thanks.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I tried the N1x in my area and was like wow this instrument is fantastic. I hear you on being in lockdown. I want to check out the new Yamaha CLP-745 for my budget and my local store still doesn't have one on display. They told me early November they should have the new models on display. Really either piano would probably be fine for you but there's something about experiencing the touch of these monster that will most likely have you leaning towards one.

Peace

Z
Z
I'm having the same problems getting to play either one of these pianos live (covid), and my choice is coming down to one of these two as well. I think I'm going to have to play them for myself to know which one suits me better. The NV5 sounds great in online reviews but it has an upright action, which is pretty much a no-go for me.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission