2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Do all hybrids make the same amount of noise from the action even when played silently? Is the Kawai Novus any better than the AvantGrand in this respect?

I can't compare side-by-side because I only have mine, but I can tell that the Yamaha NU1 makes quite a bit of noise too. I suspect the differences you would see among models are minor because their action is very close to the corresponding acoustic one, and hence noisy (so much so that simulated pianos such as PianoTeq include that noise for more realism)

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
They make the same noise as your acoustic piano keys make.

Kawai NV10
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ˆTomLCˆ

The hammer shank hitting the stop rail on mine is what makes the most action noise. An acoustic piano doesn't make this sound. My N1X is in the basement and I live on 30+ acres, so I rarely play with headphones on, but I can hear the action thumping if I don't have the volume loud enough on the piano.

The N1X has the loudest action out of the 6 digital pianos I've owned.

God Bless,
David

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
It seems like it is the key hitting the key bed that makes that sound?

Kawai NV10
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

That makes some noise, too, but it's the shank/stop-rail thumping (on mine) that is the loudest. If you want to test it out, just put your finger against the front of the key to prevent it from bottoming out and strike that key with the other hand pushing the shank into the stop-rail. You can also do the opposite, push the key slowly past the let-off (so the shank won't be pushed up) and then press the key to the bottom and compare the sound.

God Bless,
David

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by David B

The hammer shank hitting the stop rail on mine is what makes the most action noise. An acoustic piano doesn't make this sound. My N1X is in the basement and I live on 30+ acres, so I rarely play with headphones on, but I can hear the action thumping if I don't have the volume loud enough on the piano.

God Bless,
David

Wow David you live on 30+ acres. You can really think about getting an acoustic piano!

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
One cannot hear any action noise from a decent acoustic because it's totally covered by the sound the notes being played.

OP Offline
Were any of the others hybrids?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia
Wow David you live on 30+ acres. You can really think about getting an acoustic piano!

Ha,ha, I wish.

A new mid-level 6' grand = 20-30 thousand.

My N1X = 8 thousand and it took me year to pay it off after selling a bunch of guns (my previous hobby for the past 20+ years).

God bless,
David

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Were any of the others hybrids?

No. Just slabs. Yamaha and Kawai.

God Bless,
David

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Tthe NV-10 action is pretty loud, too.

I think this is the deal: If you set a hybrid piano to the same volume as an acoustic grand, you don't hear the action, because it really is an acoustic action. In an acoustic, the action is regulated only to be as quiet as as it needs to be, since you can't adjust the volume or play only through headphones. Hybrids merely inherit this property, as their #1 criteria for success is replicating the feel/behavior of an acoustic action as closely as possible. Action noise is a distant second priority.

With a regular DP, low volume or headphone play is pressuposed in the design, so the action noise must somehow be mitigated for the product to work as described. Since DPs have very "simple" actions compared to acoustics, it's easier to damp the sound, too. So the end result is going to be that normal digital piano actions are going to be much quieter than hybrids.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Checking with my decibel meter, the two sounds are very close in volume (shank/stop rail and key/bed). They both produce a different pitch and both combined create the overall thumbing I hear in the N1X action. Of course, I don't hear it when playing at a normal volume (or with headphones on).

God Bless,
David

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My N2 used to be against a shared wall in our condo. I would practice on that early morning with headphones before starting work. I never heard a complaint from the neighbor. The shared wall was between our living rooms. If it was against the shared bedroom wall, that might have been a different story.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

OP Offline
The probably placement for my hybrid will be in the living room adjacent to my neighbor's studio but not against the wall separating those two rooms. It would be on the opposite wall about 12' away. Hoping that will be OK when it's played using headphones.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The probably placement for my hybrid will be in the living room adjacent to my neighbor's studio but not against the wall separating those two rooms. It would be on the opposite wall about 12' away. Hoping that will be OK when it's played using headphones.

I doubt they would hear anything in that case.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

OP Offline
Is the music desk on the N1x much higher than it would be on an acoustic grand or acoustic vertical? From the pictures it looks positioned on what would be the top of an acoustic vertical. And since the piano is around 46" that would mean the lowest part of the music desk is 46" above the floor which seems incredibly high. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/03/20 03:17 PM.

Here's my old Kawai upright. The music desk is above the fallboard, just like the N1, N1X, and N2. Just about the same height for all of them ...

[Linked Image]

Is the music desk on the N1x much higher than it would be on an acoustic grand or acoustic vertical? From the pictures it looks positioned on what would be the top of an acoustic vertical. And since the piano is around 46" that would mean the lowest part of the music desk is 46" above the floor which seems incredibly high. Am I missing something here?

It's been a while since I could compare, but I would say IMO the N1X music desk sits either at the same level or lower than that of an acoustic grand.

Yamaha N1X
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

It's more or less the same as on an acoustic grand. When you look at the pictures, recall that the fallboard is pretty much a standard height (it has to be tall enough to backstop the keys when open, and cover the keys to the keyslip when closed. As with an acoustic grand, the music desk is just a bit higher than the fallboard when open.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
OP Offline
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Here's my old Kawai upright. The music desk is above the fallboard, just like the N1, N1X, and N2. Just about the same height for all of them ...

[Linked Image]
That's good to know because in the picture on this page

https://asia-latinamerica-mea.yamah...ruments/pianos/avantgrand/n1x/specs.html

it looks like the music desk is sitting on the top the case, no?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission