2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21
I wonder why it’s version 7 and not 6.x? It really doesn’t feel like a major update.

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Terry Michael
I wonder why it’s version 7 and not 6.x? It really doesn’t feel like a major update.

This probably sells better.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think that is entirely fair. To be honest, I think the sound has improved only marginally, but the introduced morphing and layering, which are entirely new concepts to Pianoteq (like them, loathe them, or disregard them), seem to me adequate reason to up the version number to the next whole number.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I wholly agree! (You get it? ‘cause you mentioned rounding up to the next ‘whole’ number, so I use ‘wholly’ as a sort of smart-ass pun....) grin

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, I think I get it now; it's basically a play on one of the words. That's utterly cool and amazing. If only that could be transfered to Pianoteq and the sample libraries. Now, that would be a game changer.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
P
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
@Burkey: To fix dead key "X" ... if you remap X ... what would you map it to? To a working key Y, right? And then re-pitch Y key to the pitch of X. (I don't know how to do do that, but perhaps you do?)

But now you've lost the use of key Y. Bummer.

But wait! Suppose you map Y to Z and re-pitch Z to the pitch of Y. Now Y works.

But now Z doesn't work.

So you repeat all of this. You "push" a bunch of keys downward, and then remap their pitches accordingly.

Nice. But can you do it?

I know you suffixed your post with a smiley. But you are not Pete14. You might actually be serious. So the question stands: Can you do it?
Originally Posted by Burkey
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
- 8 notes are disabled (silent): F#1, G#1, A#1, C#5, D#5, F#5, G#5 and A#5.
- Must be restarted after 20 minutes.
So if we remap those 8 to other keys (e.g. A0, A#0, B0, A8, A#8, B8, C8) and then adjust the pitch of those keys we'd have a full 88 keys running for 20 mins smile

In fact Pianoteq Trial even goes as far as disabling normal behaviour of pitch bend wheel within +/-2 semitones range of those silent demo keys.

R
R_B Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by CyberGene
New York Steinway D

Recorded at New York Steinway Hall in collaboration with Steinway
Modelled from Steinway’s groundbreaking new flagship instrument — the Model D Spirio|r

Has Pianoteq switched to being a sampled instrument now? Spirio is the Steinway equivalent of the Yamaha Disklavier, i.e. a player-piano system that uses solenoids and it's useful for creating automated sampling sessions of multiple velocity layers. Why would you model a piano VST after Spirio which is a mechanical system that has nothing to do with its sound? What have they modeled after it? The solenoid noises?

I'm confused... But it's a welcome addition for Pianoteq to stop modeling and instead switch to sampling 😉

I doubt that you are "confused".

PART of pianoteq's development process does involve recording at least one example "wooden" piano of the make and model that they have under development.

Doubtless they play their model "against" the recordings many times during their development.
I dont see that as "sampling" - I see it as having a reference recording of a wooden piano.

YMMV, etc.

O
O
Originally Posted by johanibraaten
Originally Posted by oswaldpeters
Okay, so I've had the chance to spend my day off work with Pianoteq 7. On my first try I wasn't over enamoured with the update, and had parked it until today. Firstly I binned my presets from V6, and built everything up from scratch - even building myself a totally new velocity curve. Everything seems to react a bit differently in V6, but what does seem to cause the horrible blooming effect that I was whinging about in my last post, is the condition slider. Usually I always set this to .33 which gave a more vibrant sound (and less perfect) in V6 - this now causes a horrible ringing that I just can't stand.

I have a lot more playing around to do, but I'm pretty confident that I'm going to grow into V7 just fine.

Here's a little clip of two pianos... the first half is a recording of a Kawai Baby Grand Piano, and the second half is Pianoteq tweaked to be as similar as I could get it: https://clyp.it/z2zbvzj0
Very nice, both playing and sound. May I ask what preset you are using as a starting point?
It was the new NY Steinway - it was extensively tweaked through to provide the sound on the recording. Unfortunately I didn't save the settings after making the rendering!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It was the new NY Steinway - it was extensively tweaked through to provide the sound on the recording. Unfortunately I didn't save the settings after making the rendering!
I see, I think you've managed to get a very nice "woody" and full sound that I've found difficult sometimes with Pianoteq, especially with the Steinway D:s. Lovely piece of music as well.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
F
F
I see, I think you've managed to get a very nice "woody" and full sound that I've found difficult sometimes with Pianoteq, especially with the Steinway D:s. Lovely piece of music as well.

By my experience:
- Add more microphones, change the positions
- Change the microphones, they have quite the impact on the sound
- Use a more "professional" reverb, the space where you "put" the piano has a lot of impact. Space Designer from Logic/Mainstage for example has a "warm piano room" preset that sounds like a (suprise) warm piano room and a lot of warmth to the sound. There is also things like "wodden room" that indeed adds a more "woody" sound. I think people underestimate the quality of the room, the big VSTs are all recorded in extremely nice studios, the whole selling point of Garritan CFX is the sound of Abbey Road studios.

There are more in detail things that you can do, but those specific things have a big impact on the sound in my experience.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Why are we so obsessed with ‘wood’?

It sounds so quaint, woody, but still we’re obsessed with it.

You know, there are much better perspectives (metal) than good ol’ wood out there; perhaps you guys should try them out!

I
I
I 've been toying around with the demos v6 and 7 lately. More or less I like them, at least for practicing. Now I use the v7 demo. I switch often from one piano to another, but mostly I use the NY Steinway D and Petrof 275. I noticed a somewhat strange behavior though with the Steinway D NY. When playing D2 and G5 at the same time, G5 gets a bit "chocked". Using another piano it sounds ok. Other than that, I like the responsiveness combined with the light CPU usage as it makes living with the ESI Keyring 49+ tolerable while waiting for the Roland to arrive.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
So now we’re complaining about Pianoteq ‘choking’, and before, it was not ‘woody’ enough; for god’s sake, what next?

You know, if you decide to dissect the Sistine Chapel’s painted ceiling I’m sure you’ll find many ‘issues, inconsistencies, and bureaucracies’, but does that make it any less of a masterpiece? NO!

Pianoteq is a masterpiece, so please let it be and stop dissecting it for flaws that are at best subjective!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good point, Pete. You're right. No dissection of flaws is needed. Pianoteq has only one flaw.
Originally Posted by Pete14
So now we’re complaining about Pianoteq ‘choking’, and before, it was not ‘woody’ enough; for god’s sake, what next?
You know, if you decide to dissect the Sistine Chapel’s painted ceiling I’m sure you’ll find many ‘issues, inconsistencies, and bureaucracies’, but does that ake it any less of a masterpiece? NO!
Pianoteq is a masterpiece, so please let it be and stop dissecting it for flaws that are at best subjective!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess if Pianoteq was so bad, it would be out of the market for years now. And, if it was so good, there won't be any sampled VSTs around...

So, even if for some people is anathema, it should have some good things on it, I guess.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
You know, if you decide to dissect the Sistine Chapel’s painted ceiling I’m sure you’ll find many ‘issues, inconsistencies, and bureaucracies’, but does that make it any less of a masterpiece? NO!
But is it woody enough?

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Keep in mind that the reason sampled VSTs are still around has more to do with marketing.

They know (the VSLs, and Synthogys of this world) that we are obsessed with “huge”, so they play us like violins stuck on the same note for eternity!

They tell us about thousands of layers (“huge, so it must be good/better”); they then tell us about the mammoth requirements: huge SSD storage space (to store the thousands of samples), tons of RAM, many cores, the fastest clock speed in town, and so on.........

“If one needs a quasi super computer to run sampled libraries then that must mean they’re great” (a placebo that works wonders on the psyche).

“It costs hundreds of dollars more than the rest so it must be better” (a justification to soothe the inner voice questioning the purchase; a.k.a. buyers remorse).

Pianoteq tells us of no such things (it only requires a puny few MB of storage, almost no RAM, and a basic dual core); so you see, it can’t compete with the “huge is better” hysteria that has clouded the judgement of many!

Once again, bigger is not better (it has been scientifically proven)! grin

Woody is good. Tinny is not.
But is it woody enough?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Keep in mind that the reason sampled VSTs are still around has more to do with marketing.

They know (the VSLs, and Synthogys of this world) that we are obsessed with “huge”, so they play us like violins stuck on the same note for eternity!

Yeah. And the fact that they sound better is entirely incidental.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
You know, my wife left me for the piano tuner, and as far as I know, he had an average goose-head tuning lever. Granted, it was not ‘tiny’ but neither was it ‘large’.

He tuned my wife well; but as all things go, I’m now with a guitar-shaped Brazilian who needs no tuner (she tunes herself), and I could not be happier.

I’m not sure what the moral of the story is, but I digress!

Page 8 of 21 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission