2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
I have a Yamaha p60 and I’m looking at getting a p515. I live in a remote area and do not have access to a dealer where I could try one out. I’ve heard the p515 action is a little stiff. Can anyone opine on how it would feel compared with that of the p60?

I’m not 100% sold on the p515. Also interested in the Kawai es920

I play classical piano. Non-professional. No room for an acoustic piano sadly

Thanks

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
C
C
The P60 is in a different league altogether than the p515 and es920. There are tons of posts comparing these two boards, along with the Roland fp90. They are all terrific models. You would find everything about either a huge upgrade.

I had a p80 and really liked the action before it wore out. The p515 feels much better to me and I would not call it stiff. I would just say that Yamaha tends to require a bit more force on the keys. Stiff implies that they are less expressive, and that is not the case.

The ES920 is light to the touch in comparison. The difference in touch is just that- a difference. I would not say one is better or worse. I think the ES920 is the best of the three overall, more for the main piano samples than the keybed, but it really comes down to personal preference. Obviously demoing the two would be the prudent advice, but if you can find one or the other to audition it should tell you enough. The mp7se and ES8 have the same keyed from Kawai.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
See, if we had Key Force Curve graphs , we would be able to explain these comparisons that Chantico made alot more easily, but he has to say things like, not call it stiff, require a bit more force, stiff is less expressive, He's trying to help danno858, but it just doesn't mean much in these types of wording.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for the reply. I am certain either will be an upgrade I was wondering how big the difference will be in terms of the instrument sounding more natural.

As regards stiffness, in my mind I was thinking more about speed and fatiguing passages (Chopin, Liszt) rather than expressiveness. Tighter

I would consider the Roland FP90 as well. It’s really difficult to decide on those three that are in my budget without being able to try them all out first. I realize it’s subjective to a certain degree

I appreciate the comments. Thanks

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
I’m not bad at math so I think I can relate. So how would these graphs compare between the three models (p515, es920 and fp90) from the standpoint of force required to hit the same volume level? (Maybe I’m oversimplifying but you’ve peaked my interest)

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by danno858
Thanks for the reply. I am certain either will be an upgrade I was wondering how big the difference will be in terms of the instrument sounding more natural.
. . .

PMFJI -

How the instrument _sounds_ doesn't depend on the action at all. It depends on the sound generator. By most people's judgement, and by some objective tests (see the DPBSD thread), the new DP's _sound_ closer to an acoustic, than the P60.

How the instrument _plays_ -- how it feels to the musician striking the keys, and how it transmits his intentions -- that depends a fair bit on the action.

If you want something that plays something like an acoustic piano, any of the newer DP's (P515 / ES920 / FP90) is considerably closer to that, than the P60 is.

It should mean _something_ that there are lots of us who switch from older instruments to newer ones, but very few who return their new, mid-range DP's, and go back to using their old ones.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I’m not bad at math so I think I can relate. So how would these graphs compare between the three models (p515, es920 and fp90) from the standpoint of force required to hit the same volume level? (Maybe I’m oversimplifying but you’ve peaked my interest)

It's a movement that's begun for the producers to provide force curves for their piano key actions so people can visualize the sensation. It aids the consumer in discussing their preference online. It doesn't replace going to the store and trying things out if available, but as you are currently experiencing right now, you don't have access to a demo store, how would a consumer like yourself navigate these different actions, how would we- enthusiasts on the forums communicate to you in <relative terms> what we've experienced.

All such endeavors made simpler if the manufacturers would supply the resistance curves.

This is common place in all areas of mechanical UIs, for example computer keyboards, you can find force graphs comparing every single newly released switch. Cherry mx, red, blue, green, black, gateron, kailh, model m, topre, etc etc.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/17/20 02:57 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for your comments. Very helpful and yes of course I want it to feel natural as well. I spent months researching and thought I had settled on taking my chances with the P515 and suddenly the ES920 appeared.

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
How the instrument _sounds_ doesn't depend on the action at all. It depends on the sound generator. By most people's judgement, and by some objective tests (see the DPBSD thread), the new DP's _sound_ closer to an acoustic, than the P60.

How the instrument _plays_ -- how it feels to the musician striking the keys, and how it transmits his intentions -- that depends a fair bit on the action.

If you want something that plays something like an acoustic piano, any of the newer DP's (P515 / ES920 / FP90) is considerably closer to that, than the P60 is.

It should mean _something_ that there are lots of us who switch from older instruments to newer ones, but very few who return their new, mid-range DP's, and go back to using their old ones.

The sound absolutely depends on the Action. How the user physically interacts with the sound. In what way is the sound not dependent on the action.

In previous discussions, some users already reported, and we've agreed that Kawai's RHC which doesn't have let off simulation is easier to control in terms of dynamism in loudness because of the smooth travel. WHEREAS, Kawai's grand feel in the VPC 1, a much more expensive action, was deemed more difficult to control by some users, because the addition of let off bump threw off their timing.
You've disproved your own first statement with your second statement.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/17/20 03:07 AM.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks for your comments. Very helpful and yes of course I want it to feel natural as well. I spent months researching and thought I had settled on taking my chances with the P515 and suddenly the ES920 appeared.

You can't go wrong with either. I'd say 920 is the easier option here, since 515 is long in the tooth.

There's also the 520 which uses RHC, basically the same as RH3 in the 920, without the letoff bump. Some users like smooth travel.

Subjectively (to me), with letoff, the key feels more like a button, without letoff it feels more like a springboard.

Last edited by jeffcat; 12/17/20 03:08 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Thanks everyone for your comments. One last thing - ease of transition to an acoustic piano. I do have access occasionally to an acoustic grand piano. In everyone’s opinions - how hard is it to transition from any if these to an acoustic?

Yamaha P515
Steinway A2
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks everyone for your comments. One last thing - ease of transition to an acoustic piano. I do have access occasionally to an acoustic grand piano. In everyone’s opinions - how hard is it to transition from any if these to an acoustic?
I find that its easier to play on all digitals than an acoustic. Then when you encounter an acoustic, you have to cope with the different escapement feel, the longer sustain, and control the tone or dynamics. If you have spent lets says several months on a digital, sitting down at an acoustic could prove interesting. A hybrid will help with the action feel, and setting the velocity to lively will help with the response you might encounter on an acoustic. YMMV

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Let me put it this way, the P-255 can’t hold a candle to the P-515, so yes, the P-60 can’t even be in the same room with the P-515; that’s how much better the P-515 is, and I’m not kidding, Mac!

I’ve owned a P-60 and played the P-255; once again, the P-515 smokes them both!

As Tony (from Bonners) put it, “the P-515 is a revolution and not an evolution”; and this was compared to the P-255.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
pete14 is here to make us /Believe

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Pete14
Let me put it this way, the P-255 can’t hold a candle to the P-515, so yes, the P-60 can’t even be in the same room with the P-515; that’s how much better the P-515 is, and I’m not kidding, Mac!

I’ve owned a P-60 and played the P-255; once again, the P-515 smokes them both!

As Tony (from Bonners) put it, “the P-515 is a revolution and not an evolution”; and this was compared to the P-255.

Agreed. I own the p155, tried the p60, p515 light years better in the action, but also sound.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission