2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3065370 01/05/21 04:18 AM
W
Wckoek Offline OP
OP Offline
W
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I encountered today the smallest grand I ever seen, a Danemann 4 feet - 124cm.
It is in great condition, and asking only for $1750, and I heard it is a reputable piano maker back in the day.
I certainly understand any grand under 5 1/2 feet would be a great compromise, but I am tempted.
Would it be a good buy for an apartment?

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I could be wrong but I recall reading here that these were made in Ireland and did not have a good reputation.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
You ask "would it be a good buy for an apartment?". Possibly, if you want it primarily for its appearance, but if you actually want to play it and are selecting on the basis of musical potential - a decent upright should be much more capable.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Danemann was a good brand. Did you play it? Only you among us has actually seen and heard it. What did you think of it?

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Beemer
I could be wrong but I recall reading here that these were made in Ireland and did not have a good reputation.
Ian

No they're not the notorious Irish pianos! I know the instrument you mean, it's called a Lindler or a Linder or something.

Danemann were a solid English brand, similar to Chappell, Challen, Knight, Kemble, that kind of thing. The Danemann was probably a little bit above the others in terms of quality.

This piano is certainly old, and a 124cm grand will mean that the scale design is not as good as a 118cm upright, it's more like a compact upright.

YAMAHA Artist
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Lindner was made in Ireland. The grands were weird, but okay. The verticals were a disaster which took down the company.

Semipro Tech
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Lindner that’s it

YAMAHA Artist
W
Wckoek Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by gwing
You ask "would it be a good buy for an apartment?". Possibly, if you want it primarily for its appearance, but if you actually want to play it and are selecting on the basis of musical potential - a decent upright should be much more capable.
I think I can benefit from the grand action as well.
And the size and price is not a lot more than any upright piano.
Originally Posted by David-G
Danemann was a good brand. Did you play it? Only you among us has actually seen and heard it. What did you think of it?
It is quite mellow and quiet, which is a good thing as a practice instrument, of course the bass and bass intonation is nothing to write about.
It sounded darker than the Zimmerman they have there and of course Yamaha and Kawai.
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Ian

No they're not the notorious Irish pianos! I know the instrument you mean, it's called a Lindler or a Linder or something.

Danemann were a solid English brand, similar to Chappell, Challen, Knight, Kemble, that kind of thing. The Danemann was probably a little bit above the others in terms of quality.

This piano is certainly old, and a 124cm grand will mean that the scale design is not as good as a 118cm upright, it's more like a compact upright.
It doesn't look really old, maybe they have refurbished it, I heard that they made piano up to the 80's, I hope it wasn't made earlier than 60's or 70's.

V
V
Originally Posted by Wckoek
It doesn't look really old, maybe they have refurbished it, I heard that they made piano up to the 80's, I hope it wasn't made earlier than 60's or 70's.

The style of the plate design, especially the font used for the brand name, screams art-deco period. I would wager that it is old, but has been refurbished/refinished.

Last edited by violarules; 01/05/21 04:12 PM.
W
Wckoek Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by violarules
Originally Posted by Wckoek

The style of the plate design, especially the font used for the brand name, screams art-deco period. I would wager that it is old, but has been refurbished/refinished.
There is a possibility, but it is uncommon to have a piano before WWII to survive in this part of the world.

I see if I can negotiate with them again.

B
BDB Offline
B
I have seen a couple of 4 foot grands that were made by American manufacturers, like Janssen, probably in the 1930s. They were actually fairly nice sounding pianos. The tails were very broad, so that allowed for some pretty long bass strings, but that made them very strange looking. In the range of baby grands, I guess these would have been neonates.

Semipro Tech
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Joseph Fleetwood
Ian

Joseph,
Thanks for correcting me. I posted without checking my memory. You are correct about the true culprit.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission