2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Thank you Lucubrate 😊 ( I think )

😉
Lucubrate ! Behave !

By the way how is your Steingraeber doing ? 😉

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lady

It’s Wonderful - Thanks for asking!

I really enjoy It - Has such a Pretty Sound

Best Wishes to You, Your Family & the K132 in 2021!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
Originally Posted by Lady

It’s Wonderful - Thanks for asking!

I really enjoy It - Has such a Pretty Sound

Best Wishes to You, Your Family & the K132 in 2021!

~Lucubrate
To you and your family too ! ( I was only joking earlier )

Last edited by Lady Bird; 01/06/21 03:04 AM. Reason: missing text
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
To you and your family too ! ( I was only joking earlier )

😉

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
A
A
Hi aesop,
I find what you say interesting. I have only once tried a Schimmel C 122 , it had a sweet melodic sound , actually a very nice piano for its size. I cannot really remember much more.
I always thought Schimmel pianos were bright so I was amazed when I tried the K132 for the first time. There was a Sauter 130 next to it and when they both were well tuned they actually sounded sounded very similar .Of course there was a difference, which could not to me be defined in words . They both had a rich singing quality . If there was brightness in the K132 , I could not hear it .What hear is a real singing tone , more mellow than bright. I have had it over a month now and I still just love the tone and the quick responsive action.
I actually remember listening to a recording once of you on a Sauter grand .You play very well ! If I remember right you have a number of very good pianos. Do you still have your Sauter ?
(just interested)
Thank you for your interesting comments !
Lady Bird,
I'm pleased that you remember my playing! I think I have made progress now. grin

Yes, I still keep my Sauter Alpha. I also have a Schimmel K132, and a Grotrian Cabinet. The sound of Schimmel and Sauter really share many similarities. To express the subtle difference of sound is really difficult! If I take Sauter as chocolate, Schimmel would be more like butter. If Sauter as gold, Schimmel would be crystal. I know the description might be subjective, nebulous, ambiguous, even specious. However,when I wish to make it more clear, I have no words!

Well, my experience of purchasing piano was a long story. When I was a student in college, I always dreamed of a great grand piano of my own. But at that period, for me "great piano" meant Kawai GX (named "RX" at that time), Samick made Seiler,at most Petrof, or Estonia, or some others in that price range. I had played C.Bechsteins and admired their beauty, I always heard the gorgeous sound of Steinways at concert hall, and I also read and heard quite much (compared with people around me then)about German makes, of course also Bosendorfer and Fazioli, but I thought these pianos were for concert halls and recording studios, I couldn't even imagine that I had one only for home use. Such a luxury!

Ah, time for meal. As I've said, it was a long story. Just to be continued

Last edited by aesop; 01/07/21 06:17 AM.
A
A
By the time when I had worked for three years, I had the budget for my new piano. After some research (The most important thing is trying pianos by yourself !) I realized the most basic requirement for a good piano should be first stability, and second musical capability. For instance, it should be capable to play fast and repeated notes, and to connect notes into singing words with ease; it should have wide dynamic range and rich palette; it should have the clarity to make phrasing and different parts of music structure clear enough. I came to believe that I could not take cheaper substitution as the best for value/cost reasons. A number of options were removed from my list. I thought the left problem for me was just an optimization: I would take the one with lowest price which met the above requirements. But soon I found it was not that simple.

The sounds of pianos were different from brand to brand, and from model to model. For European makes, especially German makes, each brand (actually each line of each brand) had a unique soul. I could not compare them just according to performance ability! Many of them impressed me a lot, and the choice relied more on my personal taste. I began to try every brand if there were chances, and if there was no dealer in my neighborhood, I turned to my friends for help. I asked them to make records for me and describe their feelings about the piano they played. I also read many threads here, listened to many videos on Youtube, and I sought for advice from Norbert, Rich Galassini and other warm-hearted piano fans here.

Last edited by aesop; 01/08/21 12:02 AM.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
@aesop Can you say why your K132 is your favourite, or on the other side of the coin, when do you like to play your Sauter and your Grotrian?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
A
A
@Withindale
My word might be misleading — "my favorite" means my favorite upright, and also my favorite model of Schimmel. I do love the concert grand K280, semi-concert grand K230, and smaller ones such as K195, but those didn't astonish me, because I've played quite a number of wonderful grands, and surely I won't be surprised for their excellence. But the Schimmel K132 surpasses my expectation and imagination of an upright. After all, an instrument is made for music. For what I hear, who really cares the shape of it? Furthermore, if compared just based on appearance, are grands born to be superior to uprights? I never take that for sure. Actually, uprights are better suited for smaller room. For me this upright certainly beat many grands even at the first sight, hahaha~

Of course I don't think my Schimmel is better than my Sauter or Grotrian. I will not even compare them. But I really play more on the Schimmel, only because it's easier to place music score on upright, but for grand I must open the lid, and it results in louder volume. I usually play Sauter with its lid closed, after I've recited the score. The Grotrian is with my parents, so I can only play it when I go to live with them. But I always feel happy when I hear and touch it.

Last edited by aesop; 01/08/21 10:59 AM.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
@aesop
Thank you for a perfect explanation of why the Schimmel K132 is such a wonderful, and practical, instrument. What you say about the Grotrian is absolutely true.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
L
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
L
aesop
Do you have a Grotrian upright ? I know you have a Sauter Alpha ( must be gorgeous! ) and you have the Schimmel K132.
I suppose like us in Vancouver you have to think about tuning when the weather is warmer or do you tune them only once a year ?. My Schimmel has kept its tuning well , so it will no doubt be tuned in May or June.
It is a very new piano , so I shall let the technician check things like the regulation. I suppose as it has settles down "things may have moved " in the process ? ( not sure ? )
Best wishes! LB

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/13/21 07:08 PM. Reason: missing text
A
A
Lady Bird,
The Grotrian I have is a 192 grand made in 1989 and first sold in 1991, and it is with my parents now. I think I will not buy another upright after playing my K132 laugh
Yes I used to tune my Sauter and Schimmel twice a year. At first couple of tuning, they were out of tune quite much, but after that period they become a lot more stable, so I tune them once a year since then. They seldom had issues, and sometimes when the weather change there might be very tiny case but all of them disappeared without any treatment in less than a week.
However, there has been more than two years since my last tuning, mainly due to the virus. My tech live in a nearby city from me, but since virus it's difficult for us to travel for most of the year. Sometimes the situation get eased, but I had to treat with my work, and it became grim again when I had spare time. frown My tech is very conscientious and I trust him a lot, it's hard to find someone equally excellent in my city as substitution. I‘ve made an appointment with him in April, or May. Hope everything goes well then.
These pianos can be really stable after the first 2-3 years (I think at this period they should be regularly tuned). The sound still very concentrated and the keyboard still very sensitive. But I'll let my tech assess exactly how much they are out of tune.

Best regards~
aesop

Last edited by aesop; 03/14/21 10:01 AM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I have tried one of these and am trying to find either a used Schimmel C130,a K132 or a Grotrian 124.How are you enjoying
this piano? Any regrets? I tried a Schimmel 130 and I think it was a Konzert model.,it sounded wonderful, better than many grands!

So congratulations!

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I may in fact buy a new piano! However we are always changing our minds around here.New or almost new! ☺

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
I have tried one of these and am trying to find either a used Schimmel C130,a K132 or a Grotrian 124.How are you enjoying
this piano? Any regrets? I tried a Schimmel 130 and I think it was a Konzert model.,it sounded wonderful, better than many grands!

I believe the OP has been banned from the forum.
The current 130 model is part of their "classic" series, the C130.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Oh trust me,I never noticed that.Quite sad that! 😔 I never noticed the "little grey imoji face" on the profile.Its a little like speaking to a dead person...?

Regarding pianos I have to sell my C2 and will decide on either a grand or a good upright.New or used(almost new) I shall have to see.The antique Feurich has been restored and is very nice but I do not want to practice on it every day.(may cause a sudden problem?)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission