2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by JB_PW
Lots of interesting comments, thank you all!

My previous teacher pushed the story thing pretty hard. It was basically an expectation for anything I played that was romantic or later. It never got any easier, and I came to dread that inevitable question: "Do you have a story for this one yet?"

I do agree that I need to start putting more thought into the music, and I should probably get in the habit of doing that right from the start. But I think the bottom line is that I need to figure out what works for me. It seems like the best plan right now is to think about the emotion and/or mood of the different sections, and if some images or scenes pop into my head naturally...great, but I'm not going to force it.
Of course! Insisting on creating a story seems quite silly or just plain bad considering a lot of pianists, amateur and professional, don't play that way. For some thinking about a story or pictures is automatic but for others it's just the opposite. And some are in between those extremes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUNNNNj_Qw

T
Ted Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Does music hold and transmit intrinsic meaning aside from that imposed by the listening brain anyway ? For me it does not, the few counter examples occurring through social convention or habit. Nonetheless, whether listening, playing or improvising I always let my mind run freely and allow such images and associations as occur to run their course. Some may endure many years, some last a short time and some are completely transient, even from day to day with the same music. A large part of my playing, especially improvisation, involves what might be termed taking joy in abstract beauty and has no concomitant imagery. So I am forced to respond with the rather unsatisfactory answer of “sometimes”.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
I love to research the backstory of a piece (if known), or genre of music. At least, I like to know as much as I can about the composer. I feel music very deeply, and often have to work to get beyond the emotional aspect to fully understand the piece.

Love is never wasted, for its value does not rest upon reciprocity.

www.juneaunaturally.com
On this one:
I do have trouble with abrupt changes in dynamics...that was the focus of the last bit of advice from my teacher.
Do you know how to do this physically. Like, do you know how to actually physically abruptly change dynamics - or consciously, how you are producing dynamics?

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Nahum
2 examples with an interval of 5 minutes of a completely spontaneous free improvisation of a student, in his words "not able to improvise":
1) mechanically,
2) after an emotional scenario.

https://yadi.sk/d/S-qrTNpy3Wo3pz

https://yadi.sk/d/lbbKWx2y3Wo4Ak

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep18460

J
JB_PW Online Embarrased OP
OP Online Embarrased
J
Nahum - it's a very interesting topic. I did listen to the links you provided yesterday; quite a big difference between the two. Once, my teacher wanted me to play something with more warmth. She asked me to sit for a minute and vividly revisit a particular type of memory and then play the piece again. She claimed it really helped, although I have to admit I didn't notice much of a difference myself. Perhaps it would be an interesting experiment to record myself under different 'thought conditions.'

Originally Posted by keystring
Do you know how to do this physically. Like, do you know how to actually physically abruptly change dynamics - or consciously, how you are producing dynamics?

That's a solid....maybe. smile I understand it logically, but in practice...it's still not happening much. I have no problem playing a single chord at forte and above, but I can't seem to sustain that for a string of notes. There's still a bit of a mental block there I think, being uncomfortable making a lot of "noise," even when I'm home alone. I posted questions about this a few months ago. Unfortunately I have not improved much as of yet. I have a new teacher so I will definitely be exploring this more with her soon.

N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
The cognitive neuroscience of creativity

https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03196731

Online Content
Once, my teacher wanted me to play something with more warmth. She asked me to sit for a minute and vividly revisit a particular type of memory and then play the piece again. She claimed it really helped, although I have to admit I didn't notice much of a difference myself. Perhaps it would be an interesting experiment to record myself under different 'thought conditions.'
My view is that just thinking about some emotion or memory or story has little to do with actually creating that in the music. To create a certain feeling takes skill, a lot of thought, technique, etc. The person playing the music might think their thoughts affected their playing but I think that's mostly just their imagination or, in the case of the part I quoted, the teacher's imagination. I am not surprised that JB didn't notice much difference.

I recall an example from a master class where the teacher described the opening of Beethoven's Sonata Op.31 #3 as a questioning motive. While this makes sense and seems important to understand, how does knowing that affect one's playing? Isn't the questioning motive built into the music?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/13/21 09:09 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Once, my teacher wanted me to play something with more warmth. She asked me to sit for a minute and vividly revisit a particular type of memory and then play the piece again. She claimed it really helped, although I have to admit I didn't notice much of a difference myself. Perhaps it would be an interesting experiment to record myself under different 'thought conditions.'
My view is that just thinking about some emotion or memory or story has little to do with actually creating that in the music. To create a certain feeling takes skill, a lot of thought, technique, etc. The person playing the music might think their thoughts affected their playing but I think that's mostly just their imagination or, in the case of the part I quoted, the teacher's imagination. I am not surprised that JB didn't notice much difference.

I recall an example from a master class where the teacher described the opening of Beethoven's Sonata Op.31 #3 as a questioning motive. While this makes sense and seems important to understand, how does knowing that affect one's playing? Isn't the questioning motive built into the music?

Barenboim mentioned in an online masterclass that he uses images when he plays. Just FYI

Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

Barenboim mentioned in an online masterclass that he uses images when he plays. Just FYI
I'm quite sure a lot of top professionals use images/stories when they play. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with that. My question/comment is more about whether that is something that is actually helpful or whether it's just something that's natural for many people.

There was an interesting video with, I think, Trifonov playing parts of and discussing Ravel's A Boat on the Ocean. At one point he described a section as representing some big waves which sounded perfectly reasonable. But does that help him play the piece or would the piece sound the same if one just follows Ravel's score and indications in the music?

L
L
The idea is somewhat alien to me. I try to take all of my cues from the music, its tensions and trajectories. But this needn't be the case. I recall reading Bowers' biography of Scriabin, and as a professor Scriabin would try to get his students to envision images as they played, to get into the emotions of the music. An interesting case for me would be for when the title of a piece contradicts the music, the sort of irony a composer like Alkan or Sorabji might use. In this case the extra-musical might inform the musical and influence the way I play it, coloring and contouring the piece differently than I would if the piece was untitled or simply given a generic title.

B
B
Originally Posted by lautreamont
An interesting case for me would be for when the title of a piece contradicts the music, the sort of irony a composer like Alkan or Sorabji might use. In this case the extra-musical might inform the musical and influence the way I play it, coloring and contouring the piece differently than I would if the piece was untitled or simply given a generic title.
I once played Trois morceaux en forme de poire with a friend (OK, we just sight-read them).

But try as I might, I couldn't imagine any pears toddling along when I played them. My friend, on the other hand, claimed she saw nothing but pears and pear-shaped forms (including, apparently, the torso of a statue by Michelangelo) in her mind when playing them.

On the other hand, last time I played Vexations, I was so vexed that after three repetitions, I finished with a ffff LH tone cluster col pugno.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
N
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by bennevis
pear-shaped forms .......

It resembles something, and not Michelangelo ...

That's a solid....maybe. smile I understand it logically, but in practice...it's still not happening much. I have no problem playing a single chord at forte and above, but I can't seem to sustain that for a string of notes. There's still a bit of a mental block there I think, being uncomfortable making a lot of "noise," even when I'm home alone. I posted questions about this a few months ago. Unfortunately I have not improved much as of yet. I have a new teacher so I will definitely be exploring this more with her soon.

I'm inclined to think along those lines rather than a "story" and would like to explore it.

One example you gave was "abrupt change of dynamics". So I've got a section with given dynamics, followed by a section with suddenly different dynamics. Dynamics are degrees of loudness. So I'll want to know, how loud do I want this section to be? How much quieter or louder do I want the other section to be? I also want to be able to physically produce the degrees of loudness that I have in mind. Those are my first tasks.

If you are not able to produce a string of notes at a desired loudness, then you probably need to sole that first. Do you mean a string of chords? Or individual notes? If you can do one chord forte, then can you do just two? What happens between chord one and chord two? If it's a series of notes, say C, D, E, F, G where you'll probably use fingers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - then how do you do that? Like - say your first passage is forte, and next passage is abruptly piano - how can you even begin to do this unless you can play forte, or play piano - for more than one note or chord?

Another question may involve method of practising. If you are trying to play a whole piece; or a larger section, musically - that may be too much. Hence my example of "just two notes" to start.

I'm familiar with "picturing a story" and have even done that at times in my early days from time to time, but personally I prefer the nitty gritties which then give the impression of the story.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
@Keystring
My experience is ‘imagery/story’ vs ‘working on the nitty gritty’ is not an either one or the other. I initially work on the fine details of the music and then the imagery evolves the more in depth I have studied it. That’s just me.

J
OP Online Embarrased
J
My view is that just thinking about some emotion or memory or story has little to do with actually creating that in the music. To create a certain feeling takes skill, a lot of thought, technique, etc. The person playing the music might think their thoughts affected their playing but I think that's mostly just their imagination or, in the case of the part I quoted, the teacher's imagination.

So you are saying it takes a lot of thought...but not thinking about a specific image/emotion while playing? Maybe you mean thinking about how to phrase, how to shape the dynamics, etc? As an intermediate player who does not yet possess great skill/technique, I am trying to understand how I can go about putting more emotion/character into my performance. Based on feedback I have gotten from teachers, I don't believe I play mechanically...but there's obviously still something missing, and their suggestions so far haven't clicked. Or maybe I'm just not at a level where I can do it well yet.

J
OP Online Embarrased
J
If you are not able to produce a string of notes at a desired loudness, then you probably need to sole that first. Do you mean a string of chords? Or individual notes? If you can do one chord forte, then can you do just two? What happens between chord one and chord two? If it's a series of notes, say C, D, E, F, G where you'll probably use fingers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - then how do you do that? Like - say your first passage is forte, and next passage is abruptly piano - how can you even begin to do this unless you can play forte, or play piano - for more than one note or chord?

I can play a passage of chords at forte. If I try to play a run of triplets or sixteenth notes, I seem to run out of steam. I'm more likely to get the louder dynamics I want if I'm lifting my hand between each note/chord. Maybe when I play runs I'm using just my fingers. I've been reading the other thread on arm weight with interest...I also don't fully understand that concept. I get how to use it if I'm lifting my hand between notes. I think Bennevis' suggestion about testing this out with a scale might be helpful for me, so I'll play with that later.

Online Content
My view is that just thinking about some emotion or memory or story has little to do with actually creating that in the music. To create a certain feeling takes skill, a lot of thought, technique, etc. The person playing the music might think their thoughts affected their playing but I think that's mostly just their imagination or, in the case of the part I quoted, the teacher's imagination.

So you are saying it takes a lot of thought...but not thinking about a specific image/emotion while playing? Maybe you mean thinking about how to phrase, how to shape the dynamics, etc? As an intermediate player who does not yet possess great skill/technique, I am trying to understand how I can go about putting more emotion/character into my performance. Based on feedback I have gotten from teachers, I don't believe I play mechanically...but there's obviously still something missing, and their suggestions so far haven't clicked. Or maybe I'm just not at a level where I can do it well yet.
If you or your teacher feel there's some emotion missing, I think you should discuss that and they should give you some specifics ideas on what to do. I definitely don't think that it's wrong to think about some emotion or picture or story when playing but I'm not convinced that really helps. But I could be completely wrong. I've seen many master classes where the teacher tries to get an idea across by using images or verbal descriptions of the character of a passage.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/13/21 05:38 PM.
J
OP Online Embarrased
J
If you or your teacher feel there's some emotion missing, I think you should discuss that and they should give you some specifics ideas on what to do.

This is input from two teachers in a row...it's not something I'm able to detect on my own (at least not yet). That makes it really frustrating and difficult to work on, and it's discouraging to be getting the same type of feedback for 2 years now. There must be some fundamental thing I'm missing. Hopefully one day the light bulb will come on. Yes, I'm sure we'll keep at it in my lessons...with every new piece I play, since they all seem to lack character. crazy

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't generally done so, however I've been working on a Chopin Nocturne, and found an essay that included a story to go with it (basically someone dying.) Now I can't get it out of my head when I play, and I don't think that's a good thing.

Something my teacher often has me do, which isn't really a story, is think about the different parts of the music as ascribed to another instrument. Like "imagine this is an oboe solo" or "this could be played by a string quartet." This helps get some of the dynamics and feel of the piece. I'm not especially good at coming up with these myself, mostly he suggests them and I try to act on it laugh

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission