2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
97 members (Alfred La Fleur, btcomm, Adypiano, brennbaer, BayHalt, bobrunyan, Andrew_G, anotherscott, Bostonmoores, 15 invisible), 1,084 guests, and 448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
What an interesting recital - finally found some time to listen to the first half...

01. sinophilia - Song of Youth Lovely! I remember this one from Pianist magazine. A wonderful start to the recital.

02. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - After The Rain
03. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Shooting Stars Excellent! loved the new piano. If the pieces are seeming easier , I think that's a good sign.

04. Flygbladet - La Lisonjera Seems very Spanish - I tried translating the title with no luck. Very good playing - loved it!

05. Tim Adrianson - The Hermit Thrush at Morn I've heard several students attempt this - with varying success. Nice to hear someone really play it! Loved it!

06. Tim Adrianson - Troubled Water Not what I was expecting when I saw the title, so a nice surprise. It does sound improvised. Excellent!

07. Tim Adrianson - Holding a Daisy Thanks for playing this one - and exposing us to this music!

08. Tim Adrianson - Hitchin' (A Travelin' Groove) Now this one is cool - sounds very difficult though.

09. Calavera - Dreaming of the Dawn -Somnus- It does get off to a slow start - but plenty of energy in the middle. Well done!

10. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Nimble Feet There are many pieces where I hear spirituals, or what sounds like fragments of other pieces - very interesting. Thanks for playing - well done!

11. dumka1 - Jota, Habanera, Tango, and Hommage to Ginastera Doesn't sound intermediate! I enjoyed the different moods - composed as one or 4 separate pieces? Loved all of them!

12. KevinM - Falling, Catching Very nice - I get the falling, catching idea. Well done!

13. Tim Adrianson - Simple Gifts I liked this so much I spent some time trying to find the music - no luck though. Loved it!

14. Tim Adrianson - Preludes, #6 and #8, from Four Preludes for Piano Odd, but intriguing!

15. Tim Adrianson - Piano Etudes, #3 and #2, from Six Piano Etudes Even more odd, but a fun listen!

16. Tim Adrianson - Toccata Now this one I like a lot - I'm fond of the driving toccata-like style

17. vte - Gavotte from Children's Album Op 36 No 2 Charming - and well played!

18. sisi - A Neat Beat I love Martha Mier's music - she is very popular with my local piano group. Excellent!

More to come!

Sam

Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Such an interesting recital - lots of new music I have never heard. And I had to order a couple of things, of course. Thanks for participating!

20. Jason Lenthe - After the War (The Field of the Dead) Short and intense. Cool piece!

21. Snejana - Autumn Lament
22. Snejana - As Darkness Falls Loved the mood of both of these. Well done!

23. Snejana - Toccata Fantasia Another interesting piece - not what I think of when I see "Toccata" in the title - more fantasia than toccata. Excellent!

24. winterflower - Song Without Words op 18 #3 Sounds difficult - you did a great job with it!

25. Greta99 - Idylle, Op. 126 No. 1
26. Greta99 - Pierrot and Pierrette, Op. 25 No. 4
27. Greta99 - Etude in A Minor, Op. 50 No. 2
28. Greta99 - Moonbeams, Looking Back and Summer Moonlight from "Rendezvous with Midnight"
29. Greta99 - Melodie, Op. 4 No. 2
30. Greta99 - Sommervise, Op 45 No. 3
These were all great - I actually have those Barbara Arens pieces somewhere on my shelf. The Beach was surprising - she was living in the past (not a bad thing). Fanny Mendelssohn always struck me as a more adventuresome but less polished version of the brother - maybe if she had had more experience... Well done!

31. barbaram - French Movie Waltz
32. barbaram - Paso Doble Really well played - Rollin is another favorite of my local piano group.

33. PikaPianist - Melody in Ab Major Well done! And I loved the video with the different camera angles.

34. facdo - Gaucho(O Corta Jaca) Another great video. Loved the energy of this one - I can tell you really love this music!

35. KevinM - Chord Left Loved the B/W of your videos - very cool. Another great selection. Well done! I had to join vimeo so I could leave a comment...

36. ShiroKuro - Midwinter Memories Loved the sound of your piano. Such a cool piece. Excellent!

37. wr - Etude II (from 10 Etudes) Now that's a 20th century piece I like - very energetic and interesting. Well done!

38. Jordan Nylander - Secrets
39. Jordan Nylander - Menuet From Suite 3 in A minor I particularly liked the de La Guerre. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Sam

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Sam S
35. KevinM - Chord Left Loved the B/W of your videos - very cool. Another great selection. Well done! I had to join vimeo so I could leave a comment...
i really appreciate it that you went to the effort of creating a vimeo account just so that you could comment.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you to those who commented so kindly on my submission! I'm really glad I discovered Agathe Grondhal and other Romantic female composers.

This recital was very interesting to listen to, especially the contemporary pieces! Not always easy to understand for me, but well worth the effort. Thank you all for sharing.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Some more comments from me:

Sinophilia – a nice thoughtful piece, but I agree with you that “Song of Youth” doesn’t exactly capture it

Calavera – great drama and tension, very enjoyable

bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) – congrats on your 5 years, that’s terrific! I particularly enjoyed the Naoko Ikeda, a really lovely piece and you’ve done a great job with it

PianogrlNW – one of my faves of the recital so far, I love this piece

Vte – very pretty piece, well done. I love how it combines baroque elements with a more contemporary feel

Sisi – you have done a great job with this, you have me tapping my feet here wink

Sam – very interesting combination. I know what you mean about it being hard to “make music” from the “Solitude” piece but in fact I thought it was gorgeous. (Also I really like your geometric wall hanging!)

Jason Lenthe - *very* dark and moody, I love the atmosphere

Snejana – I enjoyed all your pieces, but my favourite was the Toccata Fantasia

[Linked Image]
Sam S Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by barbaram
Sam – very interesting combination. I know what you mean about it being hard to “make music” from the “Solitude” piece but in fact I thought it was gorgeous. (Also I really like your geometric wall hanging!)

Thanks Babaram - that "geometric wall hanging" is otherwise known as a quilt which my wife made for me. It's hard to get a good picture - it's full size.

[Linked Image]

Sam

Part2 of my comments.

16. Tim Adrianson - Toccata
Amusing piece. Nice display of energy in this one!

17. vte - Gavotte from Children's Album Op 36 No 2
A thoroughly enjoyable and playful performance. Great job.

18. sisi - A Neat Beat
A neat beat indeed. Nice lilting melody.

19. Sam S - Female Composers Triptych
A rather lovely triptych. The first piece sounds fun, bouncy and refreshing. The second does seem to have a more elusive quality, and you did a good job bringing out its musicality. The waltz is nice too; it somehow reminds me of the gentle pitter-patter of a low-key rainy day.

20. Jason Lenthe - After the War (The Field of the Dead)
Interesting piece and enjoyable performance. It sounds a bit ominous to me and makes me think of a brewing storm, rather than the aftermath of a struggle. It could probably be called 'Before the War' as well.

21. Snejana - Autumn Lament
I can see why one might fall in love with this composition. I think the slow tempo fits the piece quite well.

22. Snejana - As Darkness Falls
a more soothing piece than I expected from the title. It sounds less dark than your previous submission. It just reminds me of the dusk settling and marking the beginning of a subdued and cosy evening.

23. Snejana - Toccata Fantasia
It does evoke some kind of hardships which are balanced by more hopeful undertones. Well done!

24. winterflower - Song Without Words op 18 #3
A pretty piece with delicate expression.

25. Greta99 - Idylle, Op. 126 No. 1
A sweet and fun performance.

26. Greta99 - Pierrot and Pierrette, Op. 25 No. 4
This piece sounds as light-hearted as its title.

27. Greta99 - Etude in A Minor, Op. 50 No. 2
An interesting piece with a nice bittersweet mood. It has occasional echoes of both Silent Night and Für Elise!

28. Greta99 - Moonbeams, Looking Back and Summer Moonlight from "Rendezvous with Midnight"
An absolutely delightful combination! The first piece sounds like a nice prologue to a beautiful story. I love the second piece's gently romantic and wistful mood. Then you top off the performance with the crystalline and fairy tale-like final piece.

29. Greta99 - Melodie, Op. 4 No. 2
A charming little piece and a nice polished performance.

30. Greta99 - Sommervise, Op 45 No. 3
Nice piece with a beautiful and sensitive sound. Great job with this selection and consistently skilful playing!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist, Tim Adrianson, Sam, thank you all for your comments on my submission!

I have listened to this recital now a few times through and there are some amazing pieces here. I don't think I'll be able to comment on specific pieces, so my apologies for that! But this was a neat recital, my first "themed" one and I hope to participate in another one soon.

smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by Sam S
11. dumka1 - Jota, Habanera, Tango, and Hommage to Ginastera Doesn't sound intermediate! I enjoyed the different moods - composed as one or 4 separate pieces? Loved all of them!

Sorry for such a delayed reply. Thanks so much, Sam, I'm glad you liked them. These are all separate pieces but parts of the same "album" (there are a couple more).

And thanks, everybody, for such a fascinating recital! I finally listened to all the submissions and enjoyed them a lot. It was refreshing to get to know so many little known or underrated composers. Thanks to those who have commented, too.

Last edited by dumka1; 02/06/21 09:36 PM.
Last comments!

31. barbaram - French Movie Waltz
I really enjoyed this one. A nice dainty little piece.

32. barbaram - Paso Doble
Also fun. A lively and buoyant performance.

33. PikaPianist - Melody in Ab Major
This sounds like a challenging piece, and you manage to deliver a relaxing and uplifting performance.

34. facdo - Gaucho(O Corta Jaca)
That doesn' sound sloppy to me. Your performance has a nice upbeat and energetic quality. I appreciate your sharing this enjyoable Brazilian piece when a certain disgusting person from your country is always stealing the limelight.

35. KevinM - Chord Left
I think this piece is less evocative than your other submission, but I may just be influenced by their respective titles. A pretty and enjoyable piece nonetheless.

36. ShiroKuro - Midwinter Memories
Nice solemn wintery mood. Those changes with the increase in movement and brighter tone are particularly effective.

37. wr - Etude II (from 10 Etudes)
This is a rather amusing piece and you nicely manage to sustain its whimsical tone and momentum.

38. Jordan Nylander - Secrets
A sweet little piece that makes me think of a relaxed stroll.

39. Jordan Nylander - Menuet From Suite 3 in A minor
You somehow manage to bring out the harpsichord sound in some parts. Lovely piece.

That's about it. See you guys in one of the next themed recitals!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Calavera, thank you for listening and for the nice compliment!! smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 02/20/21 03:59 PM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha N2
by RedmondSteve - 09/17/21 02:08 AM
CSP 170; action; user friendliness; discontinuation
by RedmondSteve - 09/16/21 11:24 PM
Kawai ES920 bug report + question
by Chummy - 09/16/21 11:14 PM
Weird bar in Henle 3rd scherzo
by chopinetto - 09/16/21 10:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,147
Posts3,132,907
Members102,756
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission