2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (Frédéric L, CraiginNZ, clothearednincompo, Animisha, Charles Cohen, GaiaImpact, dorfmouse, David B, 10 invisible), 1,144 guests, and 487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3069592 01/15/21 09:41 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi, I previously posted to I think a dead thread, so I am reposting a new thread. I need some advice for my brand new piano (given I have saved up for it for over 15 years). I found out that my property insurance doesn't cover much of the cost of the entire piano if something (like a fire) were to happen (it covers maybe 20% of SMP). Is music instrument insurance worth buying? I'm hoping nothing will happen (knock on wood).

The other question I had was whether it is worth buying a padded piano cover for protection when the piano is not in use. I have heard mixed things--some saying the cloth might accidentally scratch the polish because of the cover's "fitted" nature, but I find that hard to believe.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations on your new piano.

Everyone would like to know which model you chose and how you came to choose it !!!

If you want the best possible advice on insurance, protection and maintenance you may get many more replies on the Piano Forum itself.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Congrats on the new keys! I was able to add a "rider" to my home owner's policy to cover my piano. That was the cheaper route for me.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I have home insurance through AAA and they said I didn't need a named rider for my piano and that it would be covered for its full value under the amount for my belongings. I made my agent double check and he got a confirmation from the underwriter. I sure hope it's true.

Last spring, the guy rebuilding our deck left a solvent-soaked rag out on a cold and damp night and it spontaneously combusted and the side of our house caught fire. I was lucky that my husband was there when it started and I jumped out the window with a bucket of water, and our neighbor was outside and ran over with a hose. The fire was out before the fire department arrived but our house could have burned down or have caused enough smoke damage to destroy my piano!

Last edited by twocats; 01/17/21 10:17 PM.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by twocats
Last spring, the guy rebuilding our deck left a solvent-soaked rag out on a cold and damp night and it spontaneously combusted and the side of our house caught fire. I was lucky that my husband was there when it started and I jumped out the window with a bucket of water, and our neighbor was outside and ran over with a hose. The fire was out before the fire department arrived but our house could have burned down or have caused enough smoke damage to destroy my piano!

OMG this is so scary!!! I'm so glad you're OK, and your family (including piano) too!

I'm going to have to look into my policy shortly, it didn't occur to me until I saw this thread.

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Thank you! It was scary for sure, and we are so lucky there was minimal damage given the situation. But it was part of a whole series of misfortunes within one month: computer died, cat died (we were heartbroken), house almost caught fire, then car died.

I am really hoping that my policy is as good as it seems, but hopefully I'll never have to find out! They also claim to pay out the new replacement value for items instead of the depreciated value. For my piano, that is... a lot.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Congratulations on your new piano, a very exciting time for you indeed. Yes, a separate rider or clause should be added to your policy. A nice piano cover is a great idea. Mine is a strong vinyl lined with red felt. I keep it covered all the time and never ever put anything on top of my instrument other than music.

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 01/18/21 09:12 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
G
G
Originally Posted by twocats
I have home insurance through AAA and they said I didn't need a named rider for my piano and that it would be covered for its full value under the amount for my belongings. I made my agent double check and he got a confirmation from the underwriter. I sure hope it's true...

My agent (Farmers) explained it like this: I would only need a rider if I wanted it covered for theft (not going to happen!). Any other loss and it falls under contents coverage. And your policy covers replacement so you should be fine.

I have a good fried who unfortunately lost everything in a fire several years ago. He was covered by State Farm and they rebuilt his home, etc. He had to make some choices though because he couldn't replace everything in his home with all new items or it would exceed the total contents coverage amount. He did, however, choose a new Steinway Model B and they paid it.

These are Texas policies so it may be different elsewhere.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by George Smith
My agent (Farmers) explained it like this: I would only need a rider if I wanted it covered for theft (not going to happen!). Any other loss and it falls under contents coverage. And your policy covers replacement so you should be fine.

Ah, that makes sense! My agent had laughingly mentioned that no one was going to steal my piano. Of course everyone should check the specifics of their own policy smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have a heavy cover on my Bluthner. It has never been a problem.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I also have Farmer's insurance and the agent said that a piano is covered under home contents on my policy because it's not portable. If I owned a violin or some instrument that I carried outside the home, then I would need to add separate coverage for both theft and damage. Our policy might be different because we have a farm and have equipment that has to be covered as contents in storage buildings, I think every policy can be different. I'd suggest getting a statement from your company either in email or writing so you have proof of what they told you.
I requested a copy of my policy to read myself to be sure. It is mind numbingly difficult to understand an insurance policy but I learned a lot about fascinating things like what constitutes covered water damage in a basement and what doesn't.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks everyone for the help! I'm very excited yet anxious--it's a big purchase so I just want to make sure I do what I can to protect it. I have Farmers too and they were actually the ones who recommended that I get separate musical instrument insurance (which they said they don't offer). The amount they gave me for coverage for my piano was only a fraction of the actual cost--so it didn't make me feel comfortable. I'll ask about the rider and see what they say! Thanks again for the helpful advice!!!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
Selling my Hammond & Leslie!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ave Verum Corpus Mozart/Liszt
by tre corda - 10/23/21 01:33 AM
KDP-120 D6-G6 Notes Sound Bad
by didyougethathing - 10/22/21 04:08 PM
Does anyone remember this quote?
by pablobear - 10/22/21 04:07 PM
KDP-120 D6-G6 Notes Sound Bad
by didyougethathing - 10/22/21 03:39 PM
Still Yamaha CLP-990 for "piano feel"?
by Evalon - 10/22/21 02:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,697
Posts3,141,461
Members103,086
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission