2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
95 members (accordeur, Ben_NZ, AB99, 36251, brdwyguy, 16 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by propianist
...after you purchase it for yourself, and actually try to switch ON the Sympathetic Resonance (because it is always OFF by default) then you discover that this vital feature does not work properly, and sounds utter, utter, utter, utter rubbish!!!! You simply cannot get anywhere near realistic Sympathetic Resonance effect from this piano software. It is an unusable sonic mess. So it has to be played without.

Did you update your synchron piano's player with today's update?

I don't have an opinion yet on this sympathetic resonance feature as I didn't experiment with it, but vsl did work on it with this newest update. I would like to hear if you think it is better now, or not.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Without attempting to step on any toes, I maintain that with these kind(s) of mammoth libraries one is paying by the pound (sample size). Yes, it plays with the psyche and ego knowing that there are thousands of samples waiting to be triggered from your huge SSD at moments notice, and it makes us forget about how much money we just spent on that there huge library (never mind the expense on a powerful-enough computer).

So, they get bigger and bigger, but are they getting any smarter? No! If they were, they would’ve been implementing some serious modeling (at least for the resonances).

But it seems like people are always lining up for these overindulging experiences in the same they still line up for a Star Wars sequel. The original might’ve been nice but the sequels rely more and more on over-the-top, bombastic, big bang, predictable, non-resonant ending.

Pianoteq is indeed better, and if Mac has a right to speak his mind about Pianoteq, so do I! wink

D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ubu
If that's the real sound you get when you simply install it and play it, it is really good.

I would like to know wether has been any kind of editing or external processing of the sound in those demos. I've seen many people complaining that vsts sound amazing on YouTube videos, but then in real life it is different (on any brand, not specifically this one).

That question is easily answered if you purchase it. VSL has a return window. If you don't like it, get a refund.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
....I forgot, what is it with the “awe” about the demos? Have you ever heard a demo of a sampled piano that didn’t sound great? Do you really think this is how it’ll sound in real life? No!

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Pete14
Pianoteq is indeed better, and if Mac has a right to speak his mind about Pianoteq, so do I!

Blasphemy!

(but i will try the version 7 trial when my headphones get delivered, never really liked pianoteq so far.)

D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
....I forgot, what is it with “awe” about the demos? Have you ever heard a demo of a sampled piano that didn’t sound great? Do you really think this is how it’ll sound in real life? No!

I own every VSL offering and they all sound like the demos. There is no trickery going on. If you don't like it, get a refund.

Why all the VSL bashing?

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
T
T
Originally Posted by Martin Geyer
I had a lot of delay using velpro. There is in Logic pro a midi effect called velocity processor for those who didn’t know. This is built in, has no delay and it does basically what a velocity curve does.

I haven't noticed lag being an issue, but maybe it has to do with processing power? In any event, if Logic Pro is the superior product, that's great!

Originally Posted by propianist
Like all other VSL Synchron pianos, this sounds nice at first glance when you watch their YouTube demo...

.................BUT..........................

...after you purchase it for yourself, and actually try to switch ON the Sympathetic Resonance (because it is always OFF by default) then you discover that this vital feature does not work properly, and sounds utter, utter, utter, utter rubbish!!!! You simply cannot get anywhere near realistic Sympathetic Resonance effect from this piano software. It is an unusable sonic mess. So it has to be played without.

Then you go back, and carefully study every official VSL demo YouTube video you can find, looking very closely at their settings, and it finally dawns on you, there is a very strong reason why VSL always have Sympathetic Resonance set to "minus infinity dB" (= Off) in every single one of their official product videos! Go and watch for yourself if you don't believe me.

It just doesn't work properly. You have been warned.

In my opinion, when sympathetic resonance is applied to high quality samples, it adds a somewhat weird effect, and is completely unnecessary. I don't really like using reverb in Synchron pianos either because the room mics sound so good. I'm glad that these features are there for those who want them, and if I was to use them, I'd probably use them subtly instead of cranking them to high levels.

I would also defend the demos on the Synchron website as being extremely fair representations of the final product. I mean, when the majority of their demos are literally using their presets, it's hard to complain. wink

....I forgot, what is it with the “awe” about the demos? Have you ever heard a demo of a sampled piano that didn’t sound great? Do you really think this is how it’ll sound in real life? No!

While that's true in many cases, I don't think that is true with VSL. There are only two potentially "hidden" factors that would prevent you from simulating the sound on the demos:
(1) The quality of your midi controller and having a velocity curve that captures the full dynamic range (I've already mentioned in another post that I think VSL would benefit from adding a custom velocity curve feature).
(2) The quality of your headphones/speaker at your piano.

But to keep us on topic to the original post... I'm really tempted by this offering. I only own the VSL Imperial so far, so I think if I was to get a second one, I'd want to get the CFX or Steinway just to get the maximum difference in sound. If I didn't own the Imperial already, it would be a hard decision between these two.

Last edited by Tozen; 02/02/21 02:47 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by David B
....I forgot, what is it with “awe” about the demos? Have you ever heard a demo of a sampled piano that didn’t sound great? Do you really think this is how it’ll sound in real life? No!

I own every VSL offering and they all sound like the demos. There is no trickery going on. If you don't like it, get a refund.

Why all the VSL bashing?

God Bless,
David

Well, then I demand a refund! (Oh wait, I have to buy it first).

I apologize -a little- about the “bashing”; it’s now become an instant/unconscious trigger. It’s so ingrained in me, this disdain, that my hands freeze if/when I try writing something nice about samples.

But I will take your word on the ‘lack of trickery’ and shut my pie-hole (for now).

No need for further insults directed at Pete, he has agreed to stand down and let the samplers enjoy their little celebration.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ubu
If that's the real sound you get when you simply install it and play it, it is really good.

I would like to know wether has been any kind of editing or external processing of the sound in those demos. I've seen many people complaining that vsts sound amazing on YouTube videos, but then in real life it is different (on any brand, not specifically this one).

I don`t think there is any problem between sound of demos and home at least in my house. Because listening while playing and only listening are two different things I often use some midi file just to listen and I have not found any noticeable difference. On the other hand sound of VSL pianos are more concert oriented and if you like that they are perfect.

D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
No need for further insults directed at Pete, he has agreed to stand down and let the samplers enjoy their little celebration.

I wish I could enjoy it. I'll be a bit closer to celebrating with the rest of the samplers if Martin buys my VSL Steinway D, smile

Come on Martin, you know you want it. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
D
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tozen
But to keep us on topic to the original post... I'm really tempted by this offering. I only own the VSL Imperial so far, so I think if I was to get a second one, I'd want to get the CFX or Steinway just to get the maximum difference in sound. If I didn't own the Imperial already, it would be a hard decision between these two.

Half price on the CFX or Steinway if you want it. Let me know via PM.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
T
T

I wish I could enjoy it. I'll be a bit closer to celebrating with the rest of the samplers if Martin buys my VSL Steinway D, smile

God Bless,
David

Haha. I love it. Maybe plan B is to save up over the year and wait for Black Friday?

EDIT: Normally, I would be really tempted by the offer and I wish I could help. I'm between jobs right now and have to play it safe until the next job comes around. wink Good luck though!

Last edited by Tozen; 02/02/21 03:00 PM.
M
M
I told i’ll buy it already 40 m ago! Go to the chat

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Why all the VSL bashing?

+1. There is no need for VSL bashing. It is one of the few (if not the only) company where you can get a refund if you do not like the VST.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

God Bless,
David

Yeah Martin, come on, just imagine, with every note play by David your face will be in front of him instead of music book wink Don`t be mad at me David for this, I am on your side smile

Ubu Offline
Originally Posted by Ubu

That question is easily answered if you purchase it. VSL has a return window. If you don't like it, get a refund.

God Bless,
David

Can i get a refund on your answer?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I can't go over the idea of using a dongle frown At least on a laptop.

However I have a 2012 Mac Mini 2.4 GHz with a SSD and 16GB RAM that runs Garritan CFX full perfectly. It stays unused. Wondering if it will run any of the VSL libraries. Am I correct that one can demo and get a refund if it doesn't work to doesn't like it? I'll have to purchase the dongle too, not sure if it can be returned though. Never understood the fascination with dongles.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene

However I have a 2012 Mac Mini 2.4 GHz with a SSD and 16GB RAM that runs Garritan CFX full perfectly. It stays unused. Wondering if it will run any of the VSL libraries. Am I correct that one can demo and get a refund if it doesn't work to doesn't like it? I'll have to purchase the dongle too, not sure if it can be returned though. Never understood the fascination with dongles.

I have Windows laptop i5 with 8gb ram from 2013 and 2014 with ssd and no, VSL pianos are not for them, one mic at the best. Maybe software for Macs are better optimized.

Last edited by slobajudge; 02/02/21 03:25 PM.
T
T
Originally Posted by CyberGene

When I started using the Bosendorfer Imperial, I was using a 2013 macbook pro with 8GB ram and a 1TB Samsung solid state drive. The solid state drive makes a huge difference, but even with it, I would get occasional cracking if I use more than two mics. Because you have more ram than me, you might be able to get away with more. But to answer your question, no, I don't think you could make maximum use of the library with your current setup. The good news is that I find even with 2-3 mics the sound quality is excellent, especially for playing over external speakers where having a big "room" presence feels weird. Then, when you get better equipment down the road, you can unleash the full potential of the library, which would be fun!

The dongle is annoying, but is an unfortunate necessity in this world because piracy. There aren't many safer options for protecting a product than the dongle. If you have problems with USB ports on your laptop, a cheap splitter like this can help, although I wouldn't recommend also running your solid state drive through the splitter.

Last edited by Tozen; 02/02/21 03:34 PM.
M
M
Come on VSL why do you make it so hard to transfer licenses? You basically only allow friends and people who live nearby and know each other to exchange the licenses. I guess I'm not getting the steinway for half the price...

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing piano outside?
by Sam S - 09/27/21 06:21 PM
7/8 Piano in European Market?
by Mohrpiano - 09/27/21 04:23 PM
Fine uprights overdamper actions
by tre corda - 09/27/21 04:13 PM
Internal pulse/beat/rhythm
by PatG - 09/27/21 03:26 PM
Avantgrand N3X vs Kawai Novus 10S
by PianoComposer - 09/27/21 12:58 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,324
Posts3,135,622
Members102,840
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission