2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
94 members (Adagiette, Amadeus M., Boboulus, anotherscott, beeboss, brdwyguy, Abdol, 20 invisible), 1,247 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
K
The scarlatti 466 is really good. Need to try that myself with something that at least sounds somewhat similar...

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Nahre Sol has uploaded some videos of her views on synthesizers as a classical pianist:

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
Here's one I just recorded:

From the description:
I play the organ chorale prelude Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 639 by Bach on three synthesizers.
This is my tribute to Wendy Carlos and her 1968 album Switched-On Bach.

Synths used:
Behringer Model D (fully analog copy of Moog Model D) - bass line
ASM Hydrasynth - upper accompaniment voice
Novation Peak - canto

All patches are created by me.

I recorded it in two takes, one for the accompaniment, another for the canto and they were merged, but all was played live with no edits. Even the effects are part of the synths.

To program synths is a very new hobby for me. It's kind of within my main hobby, the piano, so any critique is welcome! 👍🏻

Last edited by CyberGene; 12/16/20 04:03 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Do look up the Studio Two work of John Keating and give him a listen. I think there are only two "Space Experience" albums. He doesn't so much do classical, more popular and own compositions. "Prelude to Earthrise" is a superb track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GbRKUlsxtk

Other than that Isao Tomita is simply a favourite for all time. Even my Mum enjoyed hearing his "Pictures at an Exhibition". (Eventually! Although she loved "Bydlo" from the first time, rushing into my room asking, "Who these chanting monks?")

I am un-acquainted with any chosen ear furniture for Keating or Tomita, sorry, I can't help you there.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Great CG! How do you like the Hydrasynth?

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Great CG! How do you like the Hydrasynth?
Thank you!

I love the hydra! So easy to program and actually from its intuitive approach I could “back-port” some newly learned concepts to other synths too. And the poly aftertouch is a delight.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I can imagine.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When it comes to playing orchestral music on 1 or more keyboards, we're still limited to the # keys we can reach with 2 hands. Some of the time we'd need to move a note to the next higher/ lower octave to be within reach of a hand.

And a piece may even be re-arranged for 4-hand piano. Person A can play the higher parts (flute, violin & viola) while Person B can do the lower parts (cello & bass) so all the notes are not lost.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
About 8 years ago, I had an old Roland keyboard with 76 keys. The piano sound was in between "piano" & "sine wave". The 1 thing I like about the keyboard is that it has 3 of the same sockets at the back for the soft, sostenuto & sustain so I could plug in 3 cheap generic pedals instead of having to order a pedal unit that is specific to that model.

Today I have a much better Yamaha keyboard. I'd use the piano sound for the same pieces. I wasn't able to get a genuine piano sound off the Roland although the harpsichord & organ wasn't too bad. I decided to play 2 pieces with an e-piano sound like a synthesizer.

The top line of Invention #8 was played in a higher octave to give a more distinctive sound.

Enjoy...

Last edited by thepianoplayer416; 12/17/20 10:14 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
Here's just another recording I made of Bach's Organ Fantasy (without the fugue for now) in Cm, BWV 537.

I've used only a single synth, the Novation Peak and played through a XKey Air 37 keyboard. The Novation Peak is a hybrid synth: it uses digital oscillators through a high sample-rate FPGA source (this solves the aliasing problem which many wavetable and digital synths have) and everything else is analog: the filters, the amplifier, the distortion effect. (Well, there's wonderful chorus, delay and reverb that are digital) With only a few tiny exceptions the entire fantasy is 4-voice, so each voice has been recorded separately by using a separate synth timbre programmed by me on the Peak. No external effects used, except for a slight bass-boost EQ on the bass voice in Logic Pro X.

As previously discussed here, I've always been fascinated by the cult classic "Switched On Bach" by Wendy Carlos where she performs Bach on various Moog synths, so this recording is another tribute by me to the wonderful SOB that served as inspiration smile

I hope you like it.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I already commented on YouTube, but I really liked it! If I have any critical feedback it's that I enjoyed the previous video showing you playing the synths more than just showing the sheet music.

And I'm still serious, I'd buy an album/throw money at you on patreon if you were to make an album of this smile

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Yes, yes. I like it very much. The patches you chose for the voices really suit the piece.

[Linked Image]
V
V
CyberGene: what you did is well beyond simply playing the same notes in a random voice on a casiotone. That was purposeful and musical; and most importantly I believe would make the composer extremely happy (particularly since he was fond of playing the same thing over multiple instruments...)

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Well if the Star Wars theme is considered to be serious classical music, then this surely counts:

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I already commented on YouTube, but I really liked it! If I have any critical feedback it's that I enjoyed the previous video showing you playing the synths more than just showing the sheet music.

And I'm still serious, I'd buy an album/throw money at you on patreon if you were to make an album of this smile

Thanks again!

And indeed, my own biggest regret is that I wanted it to be a video of me performing it, however it's an overdub of 4 separate voices because the Novation Peak isn't multitimbral and even if it was it would be difficult to play all the 4 voices simultaneously so that the notes are routed to their corresponding timbre... Besides, it turned out it's very difficult to play separately the 4 voices, so that they are in sync 😳 And I ultimately had to quantize MIDI notes that were off... And finally, I still have all four video takes but it turns with the free iMovie software one can overlap only two videos. I'll have to search for a video software for Mac (besides Final Cut Pro which is too expensive).

Anyway, I think maybe the best way to do this with video would have been to just play the keyboard part with a single timbre polyphonically in a single video take, but record through MIDI and then to split the voices in Logic Pro and re-render with the corresponding synth voices.

I'm not sure I will make so many of those to have for an album. On the other hand I think there are many great Bach organ pieces that are so beautiful, yet are very underrepresented since organ pieces are difficult to arrange for a piano because of the pedal parts and a few people listen to a lot of organ music and so this is a great opportunity for creative synth arrangements smile

Ubu Offline OP
OP Offline
That's a great video. Someday in the future i would like to have time and knowledge, and do similar things. Thanks for uploading it!

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A bit OT, but I use Mac video software as one of my primary job functions right now (making technical demo videos.) The two options I'd suggest you look at are Camtasia and Screenflow. I'm personally partial to Camtasia, I prefer the interface. My coworker loves Screenflow (which is Mac only). It does have some nice transitions and animations, but I find it a bit harder to use, so I do most of my work in Camtasia though since my coworker uses Screenflow I have both so I can work on his stuff too.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Chrispy, I’ll check them. In the meantime I found a workaround on how to create a split-screen video in iMovie with more than 2 videos although it’s rather PITA: say you want to split the screen in 4 equal rectangles with 4 separate takes running simultaneously, then you first render the first two videos that you split in the top half to the left and right and export the video, you repeat that with the other two videos in the bottom half and finally you import these two videos, crop them and split them so that you end up with the 4-video split... Yeah...

M
M
Many of the interpretations here leave a lot to desire; concentrating on the sound and not the expression, lack of adequate technique . . .

The master here is of course Wendy Carlos but I strongly suggest you check out The Scarlatti Dialogues by Bob James, not on YouTube unfortunately but a real gem, worth buying it.

In the past I developed a strong interest in renaissance polyphonic music; I found out this suits very well a synth arrangement. I may put it on YouTube now that I think about it

Enjoy.

E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by marklings
Many of the interpretations here leave a lot to desire; concentrating on the sound and not the expression, lack of adequate technique . . .

In the past, I was a keen follower of all things synthesizer related, but I lost interest and now I am a piano guy. I do not even enjoy organ playings even if the player is a master on it (of course, with a few exceptions).

I agree the interpretations were not that exciting; I make a parallel with a beginner playing the piano (me included), he/she plays the right notes right but the expression part still needs to be honed. I suppose CG and others are at this stage (no offence intended). OR.... Maybe synths are just not good fits for classical music. smile

TBH, I have some Vangelis, Kitaro and Tomita CDs. I like the music but, from auditive memory (it has been quite a while since I last listened to them), I did find them somewhat dull because of the synthesizers. (EDIT: yeeah, I know, synths have improved a lot - or not - since, but still...)

Last edited by EVC2017; 03/13/21 08:00 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
7/8 Piano in European Market?
by Mohrpiano - 09/27/21 04:23 PM
Fine uprights overdamper actions
by tre corda - 09/27/21 04:13 PM
Internal pulse/beat/rhythm
by PatG - 09/27/21 03:26 PM
Avantgrand N3X vs Kawai Novus 10S
by PianoComposer - 09/27/21 12:58 PM
practicing with noise cancelling headphones on!?
by chopin_r_us - 09/27/21 12:36 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,322
Posts3,135,603
Members102,840
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission