2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,983 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Over the last week I've started looking at player pianos and have been looking at the some of the differences between the various systems.

I've played with and listened to a Disklavier DGC1E3 and Steinway Spirio Model M and B |r in person which was fascinating.

Since looking at the pianos I've done a lot more reading and one thing I can't work out that I was hoping someone here might know the answer to was around the Disklavier Standard system in either the E3 or the Enspire series.

I understand that the Pro system can record in high resolution (Yamaha XP, 1024 levels of sensitivity) and that the Enspire or DKC-800 module can play back this format on both instruments. I can see from the some of the listed specs that the solenoid units in the two models have some differences but what I can't work out is do the standard models play back with any higher level of sensitivity than what these systems can record at (ie. 128 levels).

N
ngk Offline
N
I would guess the playback would be pretty close. The extra data of the PRO is not necessarily ALL reproduced by the "different" (if they are really different) solenoids of the more expensive Enspire PRO. So it is not a 10-fold increase in resolution, but it may reproduce a subtler dynamic performance.

Depends on your price range........ and the size of the piano, because that determines the overall dynamic range in the room.

R
OP Offline
R
Great point about piano size and dynamic range of the room thank you.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Isn’t the DKC-800 the old playback module that has been replaced by the 840?

I have an upright DYUS5, that’s a YUS5 with the Enspire playback mechanism. I don’t have the physical space for a grand.

I don’t think most people can perceive 1024 velocity levels per key. Like the other poster, I think any differences would be subtle.

To answer your question, the encoding is done in such a way that the standard models can play back the same files but without any increase in resolution.

This thread talks about the resolution of various player systems:

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...h-historic-performances.html#Post3082088

My take of that the Disklavier is a unique form of home entertainmen and a good professional tool. There is one award winning film composer that uses the Disklavier, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/16/21 04:47 AM.
R
OP Offline
R
That post was fantastic thanks Larry. Particularly noteworthy to me was the part around the practical range being around 58% to allow for clipping at the lower and higher ends. Maybe a topic for another thread, but it would be interesting to put a challenge out there to play a single note with 30-40 different variations without the use of pedals.

What kinds of sources do you use most frequently on your Disklavier?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Reuben B
That post was fantastic thanks Larry. Particularly noteworthy to me was the part around the practical range being around 58% to allow for clipping at the lower and higher ends. Maybe a topic for another thread, but it would be interesting to put a challenge out there to play a single note with 30-40 different variations without the use of pedals.

What kinds of sources do you use most frequently on your Disklavier?

I pay for a Disklavier Radio subscription and I buy some individual titles from the PianoSoft store, which can be downloaded immediately to the piano. I can put any MIDI file into a folder on the piano and play that way as well, although I wish there was a better way to manage midi files.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission